You must apply for the Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) program through the Centralized Application Service. The preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox. If you have issues, contact Liaison International’s technical support team at 857-304-2016 or

View social work Application Process

Regular Standing

The M.S.W. program is offered in two different formats, as a part-time and a full-time program. The M.S.W. program is increasing enrollment by offering the full two-year M.S.W. program each year. Classes will begin in late August.

Advanced Standing

Advanced standing is available for those who hold a bachelor's degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The advanced standing curriculum requires 36 credits. The admission cycle for advanced standing differs from the two-year program. Classes for the next cohort of advanced standing students will begin in May each year.


You must:

If you hold a bachelor's degree in social work from an accredited CSWE program, you may request consideration for advanced standing. You are encouraged to take SOCW 620 Research Methods I if you completed your bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE-accredited program more than seven years prior to applying at USD.

  • Have had a cumulative 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale for the last two years of undergraduate study, or demonstrate that you are able to maintain a 3.0 in graduate study. This can be demonstrated if you have successfully completed two or more graduate courses. Advanced standing track applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their social work courses.
  • Complete a biology course with a C or better (preferably with human biology content)
  • Complete a statistics course with a C or better
  • Complete three additional courses in the social/behavioral sciences

Acceptable courses would be from the following disciplines:

  • Anthropology
  • Sociology
  • Economics
  • Political science
  • Psychology
  • History
  • Human relations

Deficits in any of these areas will not prohibit admission; however, the courses need to be completed with documentation of completion provided prior to enrollment into the program.