As a public school, tuition costs vary based on residency status. You can determine your eligibility for South Dakota residency by reviewing the South Dakota Board of Regents Policy. If you wish to apply for a change of residency status, you must contact the university registrar’s office.

South Dakota Board of Regents Policy

Veterans, South Dakota National Guard members and other military personnel may be eligible for discounted tuition rates or a waiver of the residency time requirement. For additional information, please contact the Military & Veteran Services office.

Who is a Resident for Tuition Purposes?

  • Anyone who has lived in South Dakota for 12 consecutive months prior to enrolling in a state institution
  • Active duty personnel and spouse stationed in South Dakota
  • Anyone who has graduated from a South Dakota High School
  • Anyone who marries a South Dakota resident