Faculty Recognition, Awards and Appointed Offices
Dr. Suzy Reuter will be assuming the role of Division Chief of Neonatology, as Dr. Dennis Stevens transitions to a part-time position within the Division.
We thank Dr. Stevens for his leadership of the Division of Neonatology for the past four years, his service as Interim Chair of the Department of Pediatrics for two years, and his many contributions to the clinical, educational and scholarly activities of his Division, our department and the medical school. We are grateful that he will remain active within the Division of Neonatology, the department and the medical school for a few more years. Thanks to Dr. Stevens for his many decades of service.
- Dr. Laura Davis-Keppen was nominated for the Pearl Hurwitz Humanism in Healthcare Award
- Dr. Laura Davis-Keppen selected as AOA speaker for medical school graduation in 2015
- Dr. Carl Galloway assumed the newly-created position of Vice Chief of the Division of Hospital Pediatrics.
- Dr. Edgard Bendaly has been appointed Laboratory Director for the Sanford Congenital Cardiac Catheterization Lab.
- Dr. Ashutosh Gupta was elected Fellow to American College of Endocrinology.
- Dr. Laurie Hogden selected as the South Dakota representative for the March of Dimes Advocacy and Government Affairs conference May 17-19 in Washington DC. In addition to advocacy training, she will be meeting with Senators Thune and Rounds and Rep Noem to lobby for MOD public policy initiatives
- Dr. Carl Galloway has been appointed to the Pediatric Committee of the Society of Hospital Medicine
- Dr. Peter Vitiello was appointed to the Board of Directors for the American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest (ALAUM). The ALAUM currently oversees regional activities across the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri.
- Dr. Jody Huber has been elected to the Faculty Council of the USD SSOM.
- Dr. Michelle Schimelpfenig has been elected to the Medical Education Committee of the USD SSOM.
- Drs. Susan Puumala, Kyle Roux and Jill Weimer have all been promoted to Associate Professor.
- Dr. David Munson has received the Physician Advocate Award from the Dept. of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Sanford.
- Dr. Stacy Kern’s paper “Maternal Diabetes and High Fat Intake Alters Lipid Fuel Stores in the Developing Fetal Heart” was chosen for one of three Resident Research Awards given at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting.
- Dr. Chatterjee has been elected Fellow of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society.
- Dr. Juhi Gupta appointed to Diversity Health Affairs Committee at USDSSOM.
- Dr. Kurt Griffin has been appointed as Director for Clinical Trials for the Sanford Project.
- Dr. Michelle Baack was elected Councilor for the Midwest Society for Pediatric Research.
- Dr. Michelle Baack was appointed Treasurer for SDSMA .
- Drs. Laurie Hogden and George Maher were appointed Councilors for the South Dakota 7th District Medical Society
- Dr. Suzy Reuter selected to participate in Leading the Way leadership development program at Sanford
- Dr. Michelle Baack has received the Perinatal Research Young Investigators Award from the Society for Pediatric Research
2014 Departmental Faculty Awards
H. Eugene Hoyme, MD
The Outstanding Mentor Award is given to a faculty member who has served as an outstanding mentor to other faculty at the University South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine (SSOM), Dept. of Pediatrics.
Adela Casas-Melley, MD
The Master Clinician Award is given to a faculty member who has an outstanding reputation for knowledge of disease processes, skill in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, and care of patients.
Michelle Baack, MD
The Distinguished Researcher Award is given to a faculty member who has made significant contributions to the advancement of an area of biomedical behavioral, or medical, as evidenced by publications,
national/international recognition, sustained record of competitive grant support by intramural and extramural agencies, and other scholarly activity while at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine (SSOM) Department of Pediatrics..
Jody Huber, MD
The Dedicated Teacher Award is given to a faculty member who, through meritorious teaching of biomedical, behavioral, or clinical sciences, has left a mark of excellence and provided students and residents with a critical understanding of the faculty member’s discipline
Jacqueline Branch, MD
The Outstanding Resident Award is given to one graduating resident is recognized as the pediatric resident who consistently demonstrated excellence and commitment to Pediatric Medical Education. That award is based on the input of the Pediatrics faculty and residents.