VERMILLION, S.D. -- The University of South Dakota will host a renaming and rededication ceremony for the Arthur M. Pardee Laboratory at 11 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 10.
The facility will be rededicated and renamed the Pardee Estee Laboratory building in honor of Arthur M. Pardee and Charles Estee for their service and contributions to the department of chemistry at USD. During his tenure at USD from 1920 to 1952, Pardee served as department chair, director of the Graduate School, and dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. Estee was chair of the chemistry department for 32 years and served as interim dean of the College of Arts & Sciences from 1987 to 1988. The building honors the mentor-mentee relationship between the two men after Pardee hired Estee in 1947. Originally constructed in 1914, the Pardee Estee Laboratory building was renovated in recent years with $3.8 million in repairs to provide the chemistry department with modern facilities for teaching and research.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to honor two gentlemen who played a significant role in developing and sustaining the success of the Department of Chemistry at USD,” stated Matthew C. Moen, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. “Their vision has enabled generations of students to realize their dreams and pursue their educational goals in classrooms and laboratories."
The renaming and rededication ceremony coincides with the 100th anniversary of the building and the celebration includes a 2 p.m. symposium at the Akeley Lawrence Science Center honoring Pardee’s and Estee’s contributions to the USD campus. Symposium guests include Professor Emeritus Truman Schwartz, Macalaster College; Professor Tom Holme, Iowa State University; Robert Medeck, retired high school science teacher, Yankton, S.D.; Professor Jennifer S. Shumaker-Parry, University of Utah; Paul Kuhlman, high school science teacher, Avon, S.D.; and Professor Mary Berry, vice president of research at USD.