University of South Dakota Music Students to Advance to National Voice Competition
Students from North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Manitoba and Saskatchewan submitted performance videos that were evaluated by a panel of judges. The USD students will next compete in the national competition, beginning with an online preliminary round, followed by live semifinals and finals in Chicago in July.
The USD students advancing to nationals include the following:
Advanced Collegiate Classical:
- Kelsey Huxman, a graduate student from Wichita, Kansas, majoring in vocal performance
- Kelsey Paul, a graduate student from Evansville, Wisconsin, majoring in vocal performance
Third-Year Classical Treble:
- Denisse Balandran, a junior from Storm Lake, Iowa, majoring in vocal performance
Second-Year Classical Treble:
- Elisabeth Peirce, a sophomore from Elk Point, South Dakota, majoring in vocal performance and music education
- Katelyn Privett, a sophomore from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, majoring in music education
Second-Year Classical TBB (tenor/baritone/bass):
- Brian Shirley, a sophomore from Rapid City, South Dakota, majoring in musical arts and business
Upper College Musical Theatre Treble:
- Denisse Balandran
Lower College Musical Theatre TBB:
- Brian Shirley
The students study voice with Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A., professor of voice/opera and the Walter A. and Lucy Yoshioka Buhler Endowed Chair. "I am so proud of these young artists for representing themselves and USD so well, particularly with all of the challenges that the pandemic has brought over the past couple of years,” Gesteland said. “These students are resilient as well as talented and dedicated to their art, and I look forward to seeing them compete on the national stage."
The singers' pianists were staff accompanists Deanna Wehrspann and Diane Van Den Oever, along with Deanne Ekstrand, a sophomore piano performance and music education major from Pocahontas, Iowa.
You May Also Like
USD Voice Students Win Awards at North Dakota District NATS Auditions
University of South Dakota voice students won several awards at the North Dakota District National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Auditions in Dickinson, North Dakota, earlier this month.
USD Opera Places Third in The American Prize Competition for 'Zoom Speed Dating Tonight' Production
The University of South Dakota Opera won third place in The American Prize in Virtual Performance competition for its production of “Zoom Speed Dating Tonight.”
USD Music Students Win Several Top Prizes at State Competitions
University of South Dakota music students won several of the top prizes at two competitions hosted on USD’s campus by the South Dakota Music Teachers Association Nov. 4-5.