A close up of a military uniform with a USD patch on the left arm.

Military & Veterans' Admissions

Find your new home as a Coyote by joining the University of South Dakota's welcoming community of veterans, active military and military family members.

Designed for you

The University of South Dakota is proud to serve our student veterans, current military members and the families of military members. We are committed to supporting those who have served our country and want to make your transition to college life as seamless as possible.

Getting Started

As a current military member or veteran you will follow the standard application procedure that is relevant to you and your educational background.


If you are a first-time college student who has never been enrolled in post-secondary study, you should apply as a first-time undergraduate student. 

To apply as a first-time freshman and to make USD your college home, you should:

  • Have graduated or will soon graduate from high school or receive a GED
  • Have not enrolled in another college or university after graduating from high school or earning a GED

View all application and admissions requirements.

Apply Now 

Welcome Back

If you were enrolled at the University of South Dakota and are returning after a deployment, you will need to complete the freshman student application. View all application and admissions requirements.

Apply Now

Following application you will need to submit the veterans' information form to begin the re-enrollment process. The form is sent to the university's certifying official in the USD Office of the Registrar. Upon receipt, the certifying official will submit an enrollment certificate to the VA. The certificate is processed by the VA in approximately 6-8 weeks.

Welcome Transfers!

If you are a student who was or is currently enrolled in post-secondary study at another college or university and are now interested in undergraduate admission at the University of South Dakota you should apply as a transfer student.

In addition to finding the correct application procedure based on your transfer student status, you will also find information about cost, transferring credits, class substitutions, articulation agreements, appeals process and how to register for classes as a non-degree seeking student. 

How to Apply

After applying, you will need to submit the appropriate forms and instructions to use your VA educational benefits.

Contact Veterans' Services for More Information

If you have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree and are looking to continue your studies as a graduate student at the University of South Dakota, you should apply for Graduate School Admission.

Apply to Graduate School

Logo of a Military Friendly school badge

Proud to Support Our Military

USD proudly fosters and encourages the USD’s military community­ on-campus, online and overseas. We focus on academic achievement and career transition. G.I. Jobs designates USD as a "Military Friendly" school for its commitment to supporting student veterans on-campus and in their careers.

3 USD Military Graduates sitting in formal dress wear on stage.

One-Stop Office for Veterans' Support

USD Office of Veterans' Services is a one-stop office where service members, veterans and their families can and meet with an academic advisor regarding your application for military education benefits.
Military/Veteran students who plan to use federal VA Educational Assistance such as GI Bill, eligibility for benefits and the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP). You should apply through the USD Office of Veterans" Services to receive financial support, find services and programs, and have accessibility to disability and counseling services.

Veterans' Services
Charlie holding up a Yote hand symbol while standing behind a smiling USD military student in uniform.

You're Admitted. What's Next?

Congratulations! Review the admitted military student checklist for your next steps in becoming a Coyote.

We Have Your Back