USD Music Students Advance to National NATS Competition
Students from North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Manitoba and Saskatchewan submitted performance videos that were evaluated by a panel of judges. The USD students will next compete in a national preliminary online round, followed by live semifinals and finals in San Diego in July.
The USD students advancing to nationals include the following.
(Listed in alphabetical order by category)
Advanced Collegiate Classical Treble
- Kelsey Huxman, a graduate student from Wichita, Kansas, majoring in vocal performance
- Lauren Paul, a graduate student from Evansville, Wisconsin, majoring in vocal performance
- Abigail Rockhill, a graduate student from Orange City, Iowa, majoring in vocal performance
Fourth/Fifth-Year Classical Treble
- Denisse Balandran, a senior from Storm Lake, Iowa, majoring in vocal performance
- Margaret Meierhenry, a senior from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, majoring in musical arts
Third-Year Classical Treble
- Elisabeth Peirce, a junior from Elk Point, South Dakota, majoring in vocal performance and music education
Third-Year Classical TBB (tenor/baritone/bass):
- Brian Shirley, a junior from Rapid City, South Dakota, majoring in musical arts and business
Upper College Musical Theatre Treble
- Denisse Balandran
Upper College Musical Theatre TBB
- Brian Shirley
The students study voice with Tracelyn Gesteland, D.M.A., professor of voice/opera and the Walter A. and Lucy Yoshioka Buhler Endowed Chair.
“I am so proud of each of these talented and hard-working young artists," said Gesteland. "It takes a lot of effort, planning and practice to enter this competition during a very busy time of year for voice students, and for all of them to have advanced is a great achievement. I know that they will represent USD very well at nationals.”
The singers' pianists were Deanna Wehrspann and Carson Covey, staff accompanists.
You May Also Like
USD Voice Students Win Awards at North Dakota District NATS Auditions
University of South Dakota voice students won several awards at the North Dakota District National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Auditions in Dickinson, North Dakota, earlier this month.
USD Chamber Singers to Conclude Italian Tour in Sioux Falls
The internationally recognized University of South Dakota Chamber Singers and their conductor, David Holdhusen, Ph.D., will participate in a concert tour of Italy during the university’s spring break from March 8-18 and will conclude their tour in Sioux Falls on March 24.
USD Opera Places Third in The American Prize Competition for 'Zoom Speed Dating Tonight' Production
The University of South Dakota Opera won third place in The American Prize in Virtual Performance competition for its production of “Zoom Speed Dating Tonight.”