Phone: (605) 658-6458
I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Southwest State University, Marshall, MN in 2002. In 2004, I earned a Master of Science in Occupational Therapy from the University of South Dakota. I earned a Doctorate of Occupational Therapy degree through the post-professional program at the University of South Dakota in 2016. I have clinical experience in the areas of hand to elbow rehabilitation, occupational health, and lymphedema therapy. I am a Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT), and I am also certified through the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA).
I joined the USD Occupational Therapy Department in 2017. I serve as the Academic Fieldwork Coordinator. My interests include the areas of upper extremity rehabilitation, splinting, occupational health and ergonomics, professional identity, interprofessional education, and fieldwork. I have participated in the Course Design Fellowship through the Centers for Teaching and Learning at USD, and I continue to pull from this experience to engage students through collaborative learning techniques and active learning strategies.
My scholarly interests include occupational therapy's role in promoting occupational performance and occupational therapy education. My first area of interest focuses on occupational therapy's role in assisting clients, families and communities impacted by illness or injury overcome barriers to participation in life roles in order to promote occupational performance. My second area of interest in OT education focuses on the role of interprofessional education and active learning strategies including the use of innovative technology and collaborative learning techniques to aid in the transition to clinical practice and to promote lifelong learning.
- Doctorate of Occupational Therapy, Occupational Therapy, University of South Dakota, 2016
- MS, Occupational Therapy, University of South Dakota, 2004
- BA, Psychology, Southwest State University, 2002
Licensures and Certifications:
- Mental Health First Aid USA, National Council for Behavioral Health
- Adult CPR/AED and Infant CPR, American Red Cross
- South Dakota OT License, South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist-LANA, Lymphology Association of North America
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist, Academy of Lymphatic Studies
- Functional Movement Screen, FMS
- Functional Capacity Evaluation, Functional Job Analysis, Prework Screen Certifications, WorkWell
- NBCOT, NBCOT
- Minnesota OT Licensure, State of Minnesota Department of Health
- Health Utilization and Needs of Caregivers, USD School of Health Sciences Research Committee. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2021 - 2022)
- CTL Grant, USD Center for Teaching and Learning. (2019 - 2019)
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: An Interprofessional Cultural Encounter, USD SHS Diversity, Inclusivity and Cultural Awareness (DICA) Committee. Grant Role: Principal. (2018 - 2018)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Grant, USD- Center for Teaching and Learning. Grant Role: Principal. (2019)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Grant, USD- Center for Teaching and Learning. Grant Role: Principal.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Naber, Allison, Adamson, Amanda J., Berg-Poppe, Patti, Ikiugu, Moses, Tao, Hanz, and Zimney, Kory. Using Embedded Encounters to Promote Cultural Humility in Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Education. Vol. 5, Iss. 1. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 2021. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.26681/jote.2021.050113)
- Welu, Jenny J., and Naber, Allison. Occupational Therapy and Public Space Design: Why it Matters and How to Get Started. Edited by American Occupational Therapy Association, 10-12. Vol. 25, Iss. 9. Bethesda, MD: OT Practice, 2020.
- Naber, Allison, Lucas Molitor, Whitney, and Willhite, Logan. Impact of OT interventions on sedentary behaviors among office workers.. Vol. 74, Iss. 1. American Journal of Occupational Therapy , 2020. (DOI: ttps://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2020.74S1-PO1900 )
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, and Naber, Allison. Using Self-identified Goals to Explore Perceived Well-being Among Older Adults. Annals of International Occupational Therapy, 2020. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.3928/24761222-20200619-01)
- Naber, Allison, and Lucas Molitor, Whitney. The Exploration of Occupational Therapy Interventions to Address Sedentary Behavior and Pain Among Older Adults, 391-398. Vol. 28, Iss. 3. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 2020. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.2019-0217)
- Naber, Allison, and Brockevelt, Barbara. Courage Beyond Breast Cancer: Addressing Secondary Lymphedema, 20-23. Vol. 25, Iss. 4. Bethesda, MD: OT Practice Magazine, 2020.
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, and Naber, Allison. Designing Interprofessional Education Curriculum to Maximize Collaborative Competency, 1-15. Vol. 4, Iss. 1. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 2020.
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Naber, Allison, MacCabe, Angela, and Johnson, Julie. Increasing Interprofessional Collaborative Competencies in OT Education. Vol. 73, Iss. 4. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2019. (DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2019.73S1-PO7039)
- Naber, Allison, Berg-Poppe, Patti, Lucas Molitor, Whitney, MacCabe, Angela, and Nissen, Ranelle. USD Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Service Learning. In Heathcare Workforce Collaborative..
- Naber, Allison, Willhite, Logan, and Lucas Molitor, Whitney. Exploration of Individualized Goals and Ergonomic Modifications to Address Sedentary Behaviors and Perceived Health and Well-being Among Office Workers. Vol. 68, Iss. 4. Work.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, USD School of Health Sciences, 2020
- Board of Director Service Award, Minnesota Occupational Therapy Association, 2017
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Naber, Allison, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Cleveland, Tracy, Regnerus, Carissa, Wesner, Chelsea, Zimney, Kory. Designing and Implementing Interprofessional Education Experiences Responsive to Critical Healthcare Issues. Presented at the Nexus Summit 2020. (August 13, 2020)
- Naber, Allison, Anderson, Susan. The farm show: A rural healthcare focus on interprofessional education.. Presented at the NEXUS Summit 2020, Virtual. (August 13, 2020)
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Nissen, Ranelle, Naber, Allison. Fostering Student Confidence & Engagement Through Mentored Experiential Learning & Community Engagement. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Education Summit, Las Vegas, Nevada. (October 18, 2019)
- Naber, Allison, Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Nissen, Ranelle. Community Partnerships in Action: Development of Mentored Service Learning Opportunities. Presented at the Innovation in Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Education Summit 2019, Omaha, NE. (June 27, 2019)
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Naber, Allison. Increasing interprofessional collaborative competencies in occupational therapy education. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference & Expo, New Orleans, Louisiana. (April 6, 2019)
- Naber, Allison, Brockevelt, Barbara. Courage beyond Breast Cancer: A Holistic OT Approach. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference & Expo, New Orleans, LA. (April 5, 2019)
- Naber, Allison, Warfel, R. Michelle, Jones, Terrianne, Fleming, John, Hanson, Debra. Changing expectations for experiential learning in OT education: Implications for student learning during Level I fieldwork and practice/education partnerships. Presented at the Minnesota Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, St. Paul, MN. (October 28, 2018)
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Johnson, Julie, MacCabe, Angela, Naber, Allison. Increasing interprofessional collaborative competency through curriculum development and knowledge translation. Presented at the Nexus Summit, Minneapolis, MN. (July 31, 2018)
- Naber, Allison, Lucas Molitor, Whitney, Willhite, Logan. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association, 2020 Virtual Conference Series. (March 26, 2000)