Director / Lecturer, Health Sciences Major
Julian Hall 217
Phone: (605) 658-5951
Amy Nelson has a background in Medical Laboratory Science and Occupational Therapy and has over 16 years of experience in health care. She was an occupational therapy clinician in acute care, outpatient, and in rural health prior to transitioning to academia in 2014.
Amy's teaching interests include health care delivery including policy and reimbursement, technology in health care, and patient safety and quality improvement.
- Ph D, Health Sciences, University of South Dakota, 2022
- OTD , Occupational Therapy, University of South Dakota, 2017
- MS, Occupational Therapy, The University of South Dakota, 2012
- BS, Medical Technology, The University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1996
Licensures and Certifications:
- Licensed, Registered Occupational Therapist, SDBMOE and NBCOT
- Health Care Provider CPR, American Heart Association
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP), American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- Curriculum Transformation: Healthcare as a Basic Human Right, School of Health Science. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2019 - Present)
- Center for Teaching and Learning Grant. (2015)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Nelson, Amy, AnisAbdellatif, Musheera, Larson, June, Mulder, Cindy, Wolff, Becky, and . New Faculty Orientation: Discussion of Cultural Competency, Sexual Victimization, and Student Behaviors. Edited by Patricia Yoder-Wise. Thorofare, NJ: Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 2016.
Awards and Honors:
- School of Health Sciences Curriculum Transformation Grant, University of South Dakota, 2018
- School of Health Sciences Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, University of South Dakota, 2018
- Ten Years of Service to the State of South Dakota, University of South Dakota Health Affairs, 2015
- Course Design Fellowship, Center for Teaching and Learning, 2015
- Center for Teaching and Learning Grant, USD, 2015
- Phi Theta Epsilon, Distinguised Honor Society, The University of South Dakota, 2011
- Faithe Family Scholarship, The University of South Dakota, 2010
- "Planting Praise" Award, South Dakota Human Services Center, 2008
- Wolff, Becky, Nelson, Amy. My Plan...My Way: Person-Centered Service Learning Project. Presented at the Plantree International Conference, Baltimore, MD. (October 2017)
- Nelson, Amy, Wolff, Becky, . My Plan. . .My Way: A Person-centered Service Learning Project. Presented at the South Dakota Gathering, Chamberlain, SD. (September 19, 2017)