Chair, Chemistry / Professor
Churchill-Haines Labs 115
Phone: (605) 677-5487
Chemistry for Elementary Education Majors (CHEM 104) Honors General Chemistry (CHEM 116) Adv Inorganic Chemistry (CHEM 752) Solid-State Chemistry and Crystallography (CHEM 721)
Fluorescence Sensors, Inorganic Chemistry, Single-Crystal X-ray Crystallography
- Ph D, Inorganic Chemistry, University of Minnesota, 1990
- MS, Chemistry, Montana State University, 1985
- BS, Chemistry, St Lawrence University, 1982
- MRI: Acquisition of a Dual-Source Single-Crystal X-ray Diffractomter, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2019 - 2022)
- REU Site: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2018 - 2022)
- REU Site: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2018 - 2021)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2018 - 2020)
- Center for Functional Fluorinated Materials (CFFM), Governor's Research Center. Grant Role: Supporting. (2017 - 2023)
- REU Site: Weak chemical bonds yield strong research experiences in Materials Chemistry at the University of South Dakota, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2015 - 2017)
- MRI-Acquisition: 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer including PFG/HRMAS for Materials Chemistry Research: The Missing Instrument, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2012 - 2015)
- REU Site: The Northern Plains REU Site - Serving the Needs of Regional Tribal Colleges and Local Primarily Undergraduate Institutions, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2011 - 2014)
- NPURC Summer Research, USD Chemistry NSF-NPURC Grant. (2010 - 2011)
- Truman and Beverly Schwartz Distinguished Faculty Award, University of South Dakota. Grant Role: Principal. (2007 - 2011)
- Northern Plains Undergraduate Research Center (NPURC), National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2005 - 2011)
- A Study on the Function of Maize Chloroplast Protein Synthesis Elongation Factor EF-Tu in Relation to Heat Tolerance, Joseph R. Nelson and Martha P. Nelson Endowment Fund. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2001 - 2002)
- Computer Upgrade and Networking of Multi-User Spectroscopic Instrumentation, NSF CRIF. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (1997 - 1998)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Richards, Connor J., and Sykes, Andrew. Oxidation of 1,8-oxybis(ethyleneethoxyethylenethio)anthracene-9,10-dione into sulfoxide changes the selectivity: Synthesis, Spectroscopy and X-ray Crystallography., 226-232. Vol. 159, Iss. 1. Polyhedron, 2018.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Varapragasam, Shelton J., Rasalingam, Shivatharsiny, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, and Sykes, Andrew. Facile synthesis of crystalline Pd20Te7 alloy as nanorod using organometallic precursors under ambient condition., 251 - 256.. Vol. 866, . J. Organometallic Chem., 2018.
- Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Vogel, John, and Sykes, Andrew. Crystallographic and Computational Studies of Non-Covalent Interactions of Molecular Clips with a Series of Small Solvent Molecules, 1-7. Journal of Chemical Crystallography, 2018. (DOI: 10.1007/s10870-018-0720-8 )
- Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Dufek, Eric, Hoffman, Mariah, and Sykes, Andrew. A New Detection Mechanism involving Keto-Enol Tautomerization: Selective Fluorescence Detection of Al(III) by Dehydration of Secondary Alcohols in Mixed DMSO/Aqueous Media., 11295 - 11302. Iss. 6. RSC Advances, 2016.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Hoffman, Mariah, Rama, Myriam A., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, John, Danielle M., and Sykes, Andrew. Improved Selectivity for Pb(II) by Sulfur, Selenium and Tellurium Analogues of 1,8 Anthraquinone-18-Crown-5: Synthesis, Spectroscopy, X-ray Crystallography and Computational Studies., 11774 - 11787. Vol. 44. Dalton Transactions, 2015. (DOI: 10.1039/c5dt01305d)
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Ragothaman, Janani S., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, Hoffman, Mariah, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, and Sykes, Andrew. Palladium (II) complexes of Anthraquinone-based As-O-As type and Se-O-Se type bipodands. Synthesis, X-ray crystallography and Catalytic properties., 46-50. Vol. 429. Science Direct: Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2015, 2015.
- Eichler, Barrett, Erickson, Jeremy, Keppen, Joseph, Sykes, Andrew, and Sereda, Grigoriy. A non-planar crystal polymorph of 1,2-bis(9-anthracenyl)ethyne, 4574-4577. Vol. 56. Tetrahedron Letters, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016/j.tetlet.2015.05.119)
- Alaparthi, Madhubabu, and Sykes, Andrew. Dansyl derivatives of 1,8-anthraquinone-18-crown-5: synthesis, characterization and selective detection of Pb(II), 149-157. Vol. 83. Tetrahedron Letters, 2015. (DOI: 10.1007/s10847-015-0551-6)
- Han, Y, Lin, Cuikun, Meng, Qingguo, Dai, F, Sykes, Andrew, Berry, Mary, and May, Stanley. (BMI)3LnCl6 crystals as models for the coordination environment of LnCl3 (Ln = Sm, Eu, Dy, Er, Yb) in 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride ionic-liquid solution., 5494-501. Vol. 53, Iss. 11. Inorganic chemistry, 2014. (DOI: 10.1021/ic500101x)
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Sykes, Andrew. Selective fluorescence sensing of Copper(II) via controllable, Cu(II)-catalyzed hydrolysis vs. oxidation pathways in aqueous acetonitrile mixtures, 2953 - 2962. Vol. 53. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.: Inorg. Chem. 2014, 2014. (DOI: 10.1021/ic402723c)
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Basa, Prem N., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, Fuoss, Sarah, and Sykes, Andrew. Synthesis, reactivity, catenation and X-ray crystallography of Ag+ and Cu+ complexes of Anthraquinone - based selenoethers: A luminescent chemodosimeter for Cu2+ and Fe3+.. Polyhedron, 2013.
- Sykes, Andrew, and Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy. The Chemistry of Constrained Crown Ring Systems and Fluorescence Sensor Applications (Review), 23-30. Vol. 75. Springer: Journal of Inclusion Phenomenon and Macrocyclic Chemistry, 2013.
- Han, Yulun, Dai, Fengrong, Sykes, Andrew, May, Stanley, Berry, Mary, Meng, Qingguo, and Lin, Cuikun. catena-Poly[1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium [[dichlorido(methanol-[kappa]O)(propan-2-ol-[kappa]O)lanthanate(III)]-di-[mu]-chlorido]], m292-m293. Vol. E68, Iss. 3. Acta Crystallographica Section E, 2012. (DOI: 10.1107/S160053681200517X)
- Sykes, Andrew, He, Hongshan, Gurung, Ashim, and , Liping S.. A simple acrylic acid functionalized zinc porphyrin for cost-effective dye-sensitixed solar cells, 7619-21. Vol. 48. Chem. Commun., 2012.
- Sykes, Andrew, and Basa, Prem. Differential sensing of Zn(II) and Cu(II) via two independent mechanisms, 8428. Vol. 77. J. Org. Chem., 2012.
- Sykes, Andrew, and He, Hongshan. Dual Functionality of BODIPY Chromophore in Porphyrin-Sensitized Nanocrystalline Solar Cells, 10451-10460. Vol. 116, Iss. 19. ACS: Journal of Physical Chemistry C , 2012.
- Sykes, Andrew, Kadarkaraisamy, Mariappan, Caple, Gerald, and Basa, Prem N.. Preparation of onium salts of a reduced anthracenone crown ether macrocycle: A reactivity series involving pyridine, phosphine, thiophene, nitrile and primary amide nucleophiles. Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry, 2012.
- Sun, Haoran, Tottempudi, Usha K., Mottishaw, Jeffery D., Basa, Prem N., Putta, Anjaneyulu, and Sykes, Andrew. Strengthening ?-? Interactions While Suppressing Csp2-H•••? (T-Shaped) Interactions via Perfluoroalkylation: A Crystallographic and Computational Study That Supports the Beneficial Formation of 1-D ?-? Stacked Aromatic Materials, 5655-5662. Vol. 12. Cryst. Growth Des. , 2012.
- Sykes, Andrew, Basa, Prem, Bhomick, Arundhati, and Medicine Horn, LaShawn. Zinc(II) mediated imine-enamine tautomerization, 2698. Vol. 14. Org. Lett., 2012.
- Sereda, Grigoriy, Moorthy, Ramkumar, Basa, Prem, Sykes, Andrew, Purohit, Kaushalkumar, Rajpara, Vikul, and Becht, Dustin. Unexpected Diastereoselective Acetylation of 1,8-Dimethoxyanthracene Adducts with Maleic Anhydride and Dimethyl Maleate, 810-816. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012. (DOI: DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201101399)
- Meng, Qingguo, Cross, Ann M., May, Stanley, Sykes, Andrew, and Berry, Mary. "Di-?-pivalato-?3O,O:O;?3O:O,O-bis[(methanol-?O)bis-(2,2,6,6-tetramethyl-heptane-3,5-dionato)praseodymium(III)]", m1514-1515. Vol. E67. Acta Crystallographica, 2011.
- Sykes, Andrew, He, Hongoshan, Zhong, Y, and Li, S. Structural, photophysical and theoretical studies of two dodecachlorinated porphyrins,, 30-35. Vol. 378. Inorganica Chimica Acta , 2011.
- Sykes, Andrew, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Engelhart, Daniel, and Basa, Prem. Hexafluorophosphate salts of bis and tetrakis(2,2'-bipyridine)lead(II) complexes, 1029. Vol. 63. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2010.
- Sykes, Andrew, He, Hongshan, Dubey, Mukul, and May, Stanley. Hybridization of near-infrared emitting erbium (III) and ytterbium (III) monoporphyrinate complexes with silica xerogel: synthesis, structure and photophysics, 6466-6474. Vol. 39. Dalton Transactions, 2010.
- Peterson, Stephanie, Kirby, Tishal, Kadarkaraisamy, Mariappan, Hartshorn, Richard, and Sykes, Andrew. Chelating, Bridging, and Chain Structures within Ag(I) and Cu(I) Complexes of bis(nicotinyloxy), bis(Isonicotinyloxy), and bis(pyrimidine-5-carboxyloxy)-1,8-Disubstituted Anthraquinone Ligands, 3031. Vol. 28. Polyhedron/Elsevier, 2009.
- He, Hongshan, Sykes, Andrew, May, Stanley, and He, Guishan. Structure and photophysics of near-infrared emissive ytterbium(III) monoporphyrinate acetate complexes having neutral bidentate ligands, Hongshan He, 7454. Dalton Transactions/Royal Chemical Society, 2009.
Awards and Honors:
- 2018 President's Award for Research Excellence - Established Faculty, University of South Dakota, 2018
- Fulbright US Scholar Award 2015-2016, US Fulbright Commission, 2015
- Richard & Sharon Cutler Faculty Award in Liberal Arts, USD College of Arts & Sciences, 2010
- Undergraduate Faculty Sabbatical Award, American Chemical Society - Petroleum Research Foundation, 2008
- Certificate of Distinction, American Chemical Society Sioux Valley Section, 2007
- Truman and Beverly Schwartz Distinguished Faculty Award, USD College of Arts & Sciences, 2007
- Sykes, Andrew. Selective fluorescence sensing involving hydrazine derivatives of an anthraquinone macrocycle. Presented at the 246th National ACS Meeting, Indianapolis, IN. (September 2013)
- Sykes, Andrew. What are Anthraquinones Good for Anyway?. Presented at the Seminar - Chemistry/SDSU, Brookings, SD. (April 2012)
- Sykes, Andrew. Fluorescence sensing of imine derivatives of anthraquinone macrocycles. Presented at the 243rd National ACS Meeting, San Diego, CA. (March 2012)
- Sykes, Andrew. What are Anthraquinones Good for Anyway?. Presented at the Seminar - Chemistry/Mt Marty College, Yankton, SD. (March 2012)
- Sykes, Andrew. What are Anthraquinones Good for Anyway?. Presented at the Seminar - Chemistry/Augustana, Sioux Falls, SD. (May 2011)
- Sykes, Andrew. Colorimetric detection of Hg(II) using terthiophene adducts containing macrocyclic endcaps. Presented at the 242nd National ACS Meeting, Denver, CO. (March 2011)
- Sykes, Andrew. Retrospective Involving Fluorescence Sensing based upon Constrained Crown Ring Systems. Presented at the 45th Midwest Regional ACS Meeting, Wichita, KS. (October 2010)
- Sykes, Andrew. Large-amplitude molecular switches within anthraquinone macrocycles. Presented at the 239th National ACS Meeting, San Francisco, CA. (March 2010)