Born Hanover, NH, B.A. Chemistry Duke University 1972, PhD Physiology, University
of Minnesota 1981, postdoc Pulmonary Medicine, UCLA 1980-1986, faculty USD School
of Medicine 1986-present
physiology (both basic and advanced), introductory biology for future elementary teachers,
biomedical ethics, teaching fundamentals for graduate students, membrane transport,
nerve and muscle physiology, XDIS, FYE
how to improve student learning using innovative and active pedagogy, review articles
of scientific concepts for the lay public
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Goodman, Barbara E.. How do the Institutes of Teaching and Learning (ITLs) nurture the members of the Physiology
Educators Community of Practice (PECOP)?. Edited by Douglas Curran-Everett, 354-356. Vol. 41, Iss. 3. Bethesda, MD: Advances in Physiology Education, 2017. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00050.2017)
- Goodman, Barbara E.. What is the American Physiological Society's ITL and who are the members of PECOP?. Edited by Douglas Curran-Everett, 239-242. Vol. 40, Iss. 2. Bethesda, MD/American Physiological Society: Advances in Physiology Education, 2016. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00045.2016)
- Goodman, Barb, Koster, Karen, and Swanson, David. The Development and Implementation of a New Medical Biology Major Including Physiology, 67-75. Vol. 39. Advances in Physiology Education, 2015. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00010.2015 )
- Goodman, Barb, and Huckfeldt, Vaughn. The Rise and Fall of a Required Interdisciplinary Course: Lessons Learned, 14. Vol. 09 May 2013. Springer: Innovations in Higher Education, 2013. (DOI: DOI 10.1007/s10755-013-9261-4)
- Goodman, Barb. Targeting Relevance: The Challenges of Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning. Edited by Martin Frank, Ph.D.. Vol. 55, Iss. 1. Bethesda, MD: The Physiologist, 2012.
- Goodman, Barb. Insights into digestion and absorption of major nutrients in humans, 44-53. Vol. 34, Iss. 2. Bethesda, MD: Advances in Physiology Education, 2010. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00094.2009)
- Rasmussen, Katherine, and Goodman, Barb. Principles of Organismal Physiology Laboratory Manual. Boston, MA: Pearson Custom Publishing, 2009.
- Goodman, Barb, Freeburg, Elizabeth, Rasmussen, Katherine, and . Elementary education majors experience hands-on learning in introductory biology, 195-203. Vol. 30, Iss. 4. Advancements in Physiology Education, 2006.