Phone: (605) 202-1877
Dr. Fischbach has been in nursing education with USD for the past 24 years. Her teaching experience includes teaching in both the traditional and online setting in a broad spectrum of lab and clinical settings. She is a Certified Advance Care Planning Instructor and a member of the National League for Nursing and Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society Omega Beta Chapter.
Health systems leadership - health policy, and evidence-based practice.
Advance Care Planning and End-of-Life issues
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Health Systems Leadership, Chamberlain College of Nursing, 2016
- MS, Nursing Education/Administration, University of Phoenix, 2005
- BS, Nursing, Mt. Marty College, 2001
- Diploma in Nursing, Nursing, Sioux Valley Hospital School of Nursing, 1981
Licensures and Certifications:
- End-of-Life Nursing Consortium (ELNEC) Trainer, City of Hope and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- CITI Training regarding Human Subjects Research, University of South Dakota
- First Steps ACP Instructor Certification, Respecting Choices Gundersen Heath Systems
- Certified First Steps Advance Care Planning Facilitator, Gundersen Heath Systems
- Registered Nurse Minnesota
- Registered Nurse South Dakota
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification, American Red Cross
- Advance Care Planning Sparks Quality Conversations about Palliative Care ECHO, Bush Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2020 - 2022)
- Lighting a SPARK (Serving Underserved Populations through Advance Care Planning, Respect and Knowledge) in South Dakota., Bush Foundation. (2017 - 2019)
- Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations, USD. Grant Role: Supporting. (2016 - 2017)
- Breast Health Awareness for Young Women, $3,500 Grant - primary writer, Susan G. Komen Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (2010 - 2011)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Best Practices, $1,900 Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning. Grant Role: Principal. (2011)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Best Practices, $2,800 Grant - one of two primary writers, Center for Teaching and Learning - USD. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2010)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Abou Samra, Haifa, Penisten, Linda, and Dieter, Carla. Nurse Educators Establish and Evaluate Community Coalition to Promote Statewide Advance Care Planning Though RE-AIM. Edited by Betty Rolling Ferrell, 305 - 311. Vol. 22, Iss. 4. Philadelphia, PA: Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 2020. (DOI: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000662)
- Brown, Robin, Falkingham, Eleanor, Cheryl, Fischbach, and Heidi, Schmidt. Meeting Nursing Shortage Needs Through Educational Partnerships: LPN to RN Under One Roof, 44-48. Vol. 18, Iss. 1. SAGE Publishing, 2005. (DOI: 10.1177/1084822305279607)
- Fischbach, Cheryl. Pharmacology For Headaches, Pharmacology For Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care. In Pharmacology For Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care, edited by Kimberly Hooker. Vol. 1. Burr Ridge, Il: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Fischbach, Cheryl. Review of Table of Contents for new Edition Textbook. In Pharmacology for Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care., edited by Kimberly Hooker. Burr Ridge, Illinois: McGraw-Hill.
Awards and Honors:
- Excellence in Teaching, USD Nursing, 2020
- Student Nominated Award of Excellence in Caring - Honorable mention, USD Nursing Students, 2020
- Student Nominated Award of Excellence in Teaching - Honorable mention, USD Nursing Students, 2020
- #3 Ranked Online RN to BSN Program in South Dakota, Registered Nursing.org, 2020
- Nominated for Excellence in Spirit of Caring Award and Excellence in Service 2018, USD Nursing, 2018
- USD's Online RN to BSN Program top-rated in Dakotas, College Choice, 2017
- Nominated for Nursing Excellence Award 2011, USD Nursing, 2011
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, 2005
- Fischbach, Cheryl. Advance Care Planning- Next Steps?. Presented at the Giving Care, Taking Care, online. (November 19, 2020)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L.. Nurse Educators Create Community Partnerships to Promote Advance Care Planning. Presented at the 2018 Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Conference, Grand Rapids, MI. (September 20, 2018)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L.. The Elephant in the Room - Advance Care Planning in Long Term Care. Presented at the 41st Annual Research Conference, Minneaoplis, MN. (April 8, 2017)
- Dieter, Carla, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, Bloom, Katherine. Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations. Presented at the 2016 International Rural Nursing Conference, Rapid City, SD. (July 19, 2016)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L., Hegge, Helene. "Advance Care Planning". Presented at the South Dakota Nurses Association, Sioux Fall, SD. (May 12, 2016)