Dr. Barney received his Ph.D. in Business Administration from New Mexico State University.
His prior education was in information systems where he earned a Bachelor of Arts
with Honors from Utah State University and a Master of Information Systems Management
from Brigham Young University. Prior to academia, Dr. Barney worked in both private
corporate and state government technology positions.
Leadership & Organizational Behavior
Main research focus is on how job insecurity impacts employee deviance in the workplace.
Other areas of research include core self-evaluation, faculty productivity, daylight
saving time, consumer behavior, storytelling, and workplace behavior.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Barney, Chet E., Clark, Brent B., and da Motta Veiga, Serge. A Comparison of Management Faculty Productivity at Research, Balanced, and Teaching
Universities. Vol. 2018, Iss. 1. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2018. (DOI: 10.5465/AMBPP.2018.17345abstract)
- Niculescu, Mihai M., Leonhardt, James, Payne, Collin R., and Barney, Chet E.. Dietary Restraint and Consumer Consumption Intentions for Low-Calorie Snacks, 466-479. Vol. 52, Iss. 2. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 2018. (DOI: 10.1111/joca.12165)
- Barney, Chet E.. The Absence of Teaching How to Teach During the Business Management Ph.D. Program:
A Call to Action. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 2017. (DOI: 10.1080/14703297.2017.1372300)
- Gobczynski, Jonathan, and Barney, Chet E.. Gender Wage Gap: Discussing the Difference, 52-64. Iss. Winter. Turlock, CA: Western Journal of Human Resource Management, 2016. (DOI: http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxI2-7ykbQIkSkRqNlYzem1sRWc/view)
- Barney, Chet E., and Elias, Steven M.. Job Insecurity and Deviant Workplace Behavior: The Moderating Effect of Core Self-Evaluation. Anaheim, CA: Academy of Management Proceedings, 2016. (DOI: 10.5465/ambpp.2016.17140abstract)
- Clark, Brent, Barney, Chet E., and Reddington, Tyler. The Ethical Implications of Using Genetic Information in Personnel Selection. Ethics & Behavior, 2015. (DOI: 10.1080/10508422.2014.999918)
- Payne, Collin R., Niculescu, Mihai, and Barney, Chet E.. Consumer Consumption Intentions of Smaller Packaged Snack Variants. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 2014. (DOI: 10.1111/ijcs.12090)
- Elias, Steven M., Barney, Chet E., and Bishop, James W.. The Treatment of Self-Efficacy among Psychology and Management Scholars., 811 - 822. Vol. 43, Iss. 4. Wiley Periodicals, Inc.: Journal of Applied Social Psychology., 2013. (DOI: 10.1111/jasp.12007)
- Elias, Steven M., Gibson, Lindsey, and Barney, Chet E.. The Role of Social Power in Sexual Harassment and Job Discrimination.. In Deviant and Criminal Behavior in the Workplace, 178 - 194. New York, NY: NYU Press, 2013.
- Elias, Steven M., Smith, William L., and Barney, Chet E.. Age as a Moderator of Attitude Towards Technology in the Workplace: Work Motivation
and Overall Job Satisfaction., 453 - 467. Vol. 31, Iss. 5. Taylor & Francis: Behaviour & Information Technology, 2012. (DOI: 10.1080/0144929X.2010.513419)
- Barney, Chet E., and Elias, Steven M.. Flex-time as a moderator of the job stress - work motivation relationship: A three
nation investigation., 487 - 502. Vol. 39, Iss. 4. Personnel Review, 2010. (DOI: 10.1108/00483481011045434)
- Hilton, T S., Barney, Chet E., Choi, H, and Hur, G.. Controversies in digital sound rendering, 269 - 274. Vol. 3. Issues in Information Systems, 2002.
- Hilton, T S., Anderson, C, Walker, N, Barney, Chet E., and Choi, H. An integrative model of digital sound rendering, 146 - 152. Vol. 2. Issues in Information Systems, 2001.
- Barney, Chet E., Clark, Brent B., and da Motta Veiga, Serge. Research Productivity: A Comparison of U.S. Management Professors at Research, Balanced,
and Teaching Public Universities. In Academic Careers, Research Productivity and Business School Rankings. Oxford University Press.