School of Law 216
Phone: (605) 658-3511
Professor David S. Day is a tenured full professor at The University of South Dakota Law School. Professor Day has an extensive record of scholarship and academic publications. He is also an award-winning classroom teacher. Professor Day regularly represents civil litigants, both at trial and on appeal, in the federal and South Dakota courts.
My teaching interests include both public and private law. I am interested in the constitutional law, employment discrimination and civil procedure areas.
My research interests include constitutional law, plenary powers doctrine, equal protection doctrine, dormant Commerce Clause doctrine and First Amendment law. I also am interested in the civil procedure and employment discrimination law.
- JD, Law, University of Iowa, 1977
- BA, History, University of Iowa, 1970
Licensures and Certifications:
- Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit Bar License, Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- United States Supreme Court Bar Admission, United States Supreme Court
- California Bar Admission, State Bar of California
- Free Speech Doctrine, USD Law School Foundation, (2010 - 2010)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Day, David. David Crump & Eugene Gressman, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law (6th ed. 2014)..
- Day, David. David Crump, Eugene Gressman, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law (5th ed. 2009 & Supp. 2010, 2011, 2012)..
- Day, David. Government Speech: An Introduction to a Constitutional Dialogue, 57 S.D. L. Rev. 389 (2012)..
- Day, David. Some Reflections on Modern Free Exercise Doctrine: A Review Essay, 55 S.D. L. Rev. 498 (2010) (reviewing Martha C. Nussbaum, Liberty of Conscience: In Defense of America's Tradition of Religious Equality (2008))..
- Day, David. Some Problems of Free Exercise Doctrine - Social Good, Social Harm, and Undue Burdens: An Essay, 54 S.D. L. Rev. 253 (2009) (reviewing Marci A. Hamilton, God and The Gavel: Religion and The Rule of Law (2005))..
- Day, David. David Crump, Eugene Gressman, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law (4th ed. 2002 & Supp. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)..
- Day, David. The 'Mature' Rehnquist Court and the Dormant Commerce Clause Doctrine: The Expanded Discrimination Tier, 52 S.D. L. Rev. 1 (2007)..
- Day, David. The Expanded Concept of Facial Discrimination in the Dormant Commerce Clause Doctrine, 40 Creighton L. Rev. 497 (2006)..
- Day, David. Revisiting Pike: The Origins of the Nondiscrimination Tier of the Dormant Commerce Clause Doctrine, 27 Hamline L. Rev. 45 (2004)..
- Day, David. New Dimensions of the Section 5 Enforcement Power, 47 S.D. L. Rev. 366 (2002)..
- Day, David. The Public Forum Doctrine's 'Government Intent Standard': What Happened to Justice Kennedy?, 2000 L. Rev. Mich. St. U. Det. C. L. 173 (2000)..
- Day, David. David Crump, Eugene Gressman, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law (3rd ed. 1998)..
- Day, David. David Crump, Eugene Gressman, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law: Teacher's Guide (3rd ed. 1998)..
- Day, David. Reflections on Judge Donald Porter and His Contributions to Free Speech Jurisprudence, 43 S.D. L. Rev. 9 (1998)..
- Day, David. David Crump, Eugene Gressman, Steven Alan Reiss, Cases and Materials on Constitutional Law (2nd ed. 1993)..
- Day, David. Margo R. Tschetter, The Local Rule Revision Project: The South Dakota Experience, 38 S.D. L. Rev. 500 (1993)..
- Day, David. The End of the Public Forum Doctrine, 78 Iowa L. Rev. 143 (1992)..
- Day, David. Waiting for the New Emerson: A Critique of the First Amendment, Democracy, and Romance, 37 S.D. L. Rev. 451 (1991-1992) (reviewing Steven F. Shiffrin, The First Amendment, Democracy, and Romance (1990))..
- Day, David. William F. Day, Jr. et al., Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group Report for the District of South Dakota, 148 F.R.D. 393 (1992)..
- Day, David. Judith A. McMorrow, Will There Be Life After Law School? The Impact of Uncapping the Mandatory Retirement Age, 41 J. Legal Educ. 395 (1991)..
- Day, David. Red, White and Blue: An All-American Critique of Judicial Review, 36 S.D. L. Rev. 226 (1991) (reviewing Mark Tushnet, Red, White and Blue: A Critical Analysis of Constitutional Law (1988))..
- Day, David. The Rehnquist Court and the Dormant Commerce Clause Doctrine: The Potential Unsettling of the Well-Settled Principles, 22 U. Tol. L. Rev. 675 (1991)..
- Day, David. The "Assaultive Jurisprudence" - The Free Speech Critique of Robert Nagel's Constitutional Cultures, 39 Clev. St. L. Rev. 161 (1991) (reviewing Robert Nagel, Constitutional Cultures (1989))..
- Day, David. Thomas C. Langham & Suzan F. Pearson, Senior Law Faculty Attitudes Toward Retirement, 41 J. Legal Educ. 397 (1991)..
- Day, David. A New Perspective on the 'DePriest Tea' Historiographic Controversy: Mrs. Lou Henry Hoover's Papers, J. Negro Hist., Summer/Autumn 1990, at 120..
- Day, David. Discovery Standards for the Testimonial Expert Under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 16(b)(4)(A): A Twentieth Anniversary Assessment, 133 F.R.D. 209 (1990)..
- Day, David. Justice Rehnquist and His Constitution, 35 S.D. L. Rev. 164 (1990) (reviewing Sue Davis, Justice Rehnquist and the Constitution (1989))..
- Day, David. Opaque Covers and Judicial Obfuscation in the Eighth Circuit: An Essay, 34 S.D. L. Rev. 721 (1989)..
- Day, David. Expert Discovery in the Eighth Circuit: An Empirical Study, 122 F.R.D. 35 (1988)..
- Day, David. Some Reflections on the Golden Anniversary of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, 33 S.D. L. Rev. 195 (1988)..
- Day, David. The Incidental Regulation of Free Speech, 42 U. Miami L. Rev. 491 (1988)..
- Day, David. Charvin Dixon, A Judicial Perspective on Expert Discovery Under Federal Rule 26(b)(4): An Empirical Study of Trial Court Judges and a Proposed Amendment, 20 J. Marshall L. Rev. 377 (1987)..
- Day, David. Robert E. Driscoll, Federal Sovereign Immunity: What are the Standards for Congressional Waiver (86-1431), 1987-1988 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cas. 193 (1987-1988)..
- Day, David. The Hybridization of the Content-Neutral Standards for the Free Speech Clause, 19 Ariz. St. L.J. 195 (1987)..
- Day, David. Teaching Constitutional Law: Role-Playing the Supreme Court, 36 J. Legal Educ. 268 (1986)..
- Day, David. Expert Discovery Under Federal Rule 26(b)(4): An Empirical Study in South Dakota, 31 S.D. L. Rev. 40 (1985)..
- Day, David. The Ordinary Witness Doctrine: Discovery of the Pre-Retention Knowledge of a Nonwitness Expert Under Federal Rule 26(b)(4)(B), 38 Ark. L. Rev. 763 (1985)..
- Day, David. Herbert Hoover and Racial Politics: The DePriest Incident, J. Negro Hist., Winter 1980, at 6..
- Day, David. Termination of Parental Rights Statutes and the Void for Vagueness Doctrine: A Successful Attack on the Parens Patriae Rationale, 16 J. Fam. L. 213 (1977)..
Awards and Honors:
- John Wesley Jackson Memorial Award, USD School of Law, 2003
- Member, Federal Advisory Committee, Eighth Circuit Judicial Conference, 1992
- Reporter, SD Federal Practice Committee, 1985
- Day, David. Symposium on Twentieth Anniversary of Smith Decision. Presented at the USD Law Review Symposium, Vermillion, SD. (January 2010)