School of Law 203
Phone: (605) 658-3509
Professor Brazeal grew up in Kansas and studied English literature at Stanford University. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2010. While at Harvard, he served as Executive Articles Editor of the Harvard Law & Policy Review. He also earned a PhD in English from Cornell University, where his dissertation dealt with narratives of criminality in American fiction about the Iraq War. After law school, Professor Brazeal served as a law clerk to Chief Justice Walter Carpeneti of the Alaska Supreme Court. He later served as a law clerk to Judge Shira Scheindlin of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. He has also worked as a public defender in Seattle and as a Forrester Fellow at Tulane Law School. Professor Brazeal is a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Army Reserve. He joined the USD Law faculty in 2020.
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, and Cyber Law
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Cyber Law, International Humanitarian Law, Law & Humanities
- Ph D, English, Cornell University, 2020
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2010
- BA, English, Stanford University, 2001
Licensures and Certifications:
- Licensed to Practice, Washington State
- Licensed to Practice, State of New York
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Brazeal, Gregory. Mass Seizure and Mass Search, 22 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 1001 (2020)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Hero & the Victim: Narratives of Criminality in Iraq War Fiction, PhD Dissertation..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Law, War, and Four Modes of Conflict, 20 Or. Rev. Int'l L. 531 (2019) (reviewing Oona A. Hathaway & Scott J. Shapiro, The Internationalists (2018))..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Between Description & Prescription: Law, Wittgenstein, and Constituitonal Faith, 120 W. Va. L. Rev. 100 (2017)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. A Machine Made of Words: Our Incompletely Theorized Constitution, 9 U.N.H. L. Rev. 425 (2011)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Bureaucracy and the U.S. Response to Mass Atrocity, 1 Nat'l Secur. & Armed Conflict L. Rev. 53 (2011)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. How Much Does a Belief Cost?: Revisiting the Marketplace of Ideas, 21 S. Cal. Interdisc. L.J. 1 (2011)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Webs of Faith as a Source of Reasonable Disagreement, 23 Critical Rev. 421 (2011)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Against Gridlock: The Viability of Interest-Based Legislative Negotiation, 3 Harv. L. & Pol'y Rev. Online (2009)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Supreme Fiction: Fiction or Fact?, 31 J. Modern Literature 80 (2007)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. Wallace Stevens' Philosophical Evasions, 31 Wallace Stevens. J. 27 (2007)..
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Alleged Pragmatism of T.S. Eliot, 30 Phil. & Literature 248 (2006)..