Lee Medicine & Science Hall 317
Phone: (605) 658-5605
Helene has practiced as a nurse for over 30 years in a variety of areas. Her areas of practice include medical/surgical, emergency department, ENT clinic, school nursing, and rural health. Helene is a clinical, lab, and classroom population health nursing instructor and is intent on seeking out community opportunities for USD nursing students. Helene has completed a Post-Master's Certificate in Public Health Nursing from the University of North Dakota. She is a member of Advance Care Planning: Quality Conversations group, which promotes the development of quality conversations concerning end-of-life decisions. Helene also co-leads international service learning trips to Guatemala with Population Health student clinical groups.
Population Health, Professionalism, ACP Facilitator Training
Advance Directives, Transformative learning through service -learning experiences, Population health initiatives.
- Post-Masters Certificate-Public Health, Public Health Nursing, University of North Dakota, 2015
- MS, Walden University, 2011
- BS, Mount Marty College, 1986
Licensures and Certifications:
- CPR Healthcare Provider, AHA
- Advance Care Paln Facilitator/Instrucotr, Gundersen Foundation
- Registered Nurse, State of Nebraska
- Lighting a SPARK (Serving Underserved Populations through Advance Care Planning, Respect and Knowledge) in South Dakota, Bush Foundation. (2017 - 2019)
- Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations, USD. Grant Role: Supporting. (2016 - 2017)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Abou Samra, Haifa, Penisten, Linda, and Dieter, Carla. Nurse Educators Establish and Evaluate Community Coalition to Promote Statewide Advance Care Planning Though RE-AIM. Edited by Betty Rolling Ferrell, 305 - 311. Vol. 22, Iss. 4. Philadelphia, PA: Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 2020. (DOI: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000662)
Awards and Honors:
- Professor of the Game, Academic Affairs, 2017
- The Nurse Educator Award, South Dakota Nurses Association, 2016
- Dieter, Carla, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, Bloom, Katherine. Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations. Presented at the 2016 International Rural Nursing Conference, Rapid City, SD. (July 19, 2016)
- Hegge, Helene, Tesch, Christine, Stolle, Barbara, , . Advancing the field of public health nursing: Clinical Prevention Simulation. Presented at the Public Health Nursing: Key to Our Naton's Health, Indiabapolis, IN. (June 3, 2016)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L., Hegge, Helene. "Advance Care Planning". Presented at the South Dakota Nurses Association, Sioux Fall, SD. (May 12, 2016)
- Hegge, Helene K.. The Use of Docucare to Promote Active Learning.