Chair, Communication Studies / Associate Professor
Dakota Hall 334
Phone: (605) 677-5476
Jill Tyler (PhD, University of Iowa) is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Communication Studies at the University of South Dakota.
Interpersonal and Relational Communication, Health and Medical Communication, Popular Culture/Cultural Studies, Communication Theory, History, and Philosophy
Dr. Tyler studies adult friendships and social networks as they are constituted through societal structures, with a particular focus on intersections of relational communication, health, technology, and social class.
- Ph D, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 2007
- MA, Communication Studies, The University of Iowa, 1989
- BA, Theater Arts/Business Management, Simpson College, 1983
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Tyler, Jill, and Lauren, Fanta. Physician Perceptions of Barriers to Advance Care Planning, 303-309. Vol. 70, Iss. 7. Sioux Falls, SD: South Dakota Medicine, 2017.
- Tyler, Jill, and Pochol, Kayla. Physician's Use of Compliance Gaining, 315-321. Vol. 69, Iss. 7. Sioux Falls, SD: South Dakota Medicine, 2016.
- Prentice, Carrie, and Tyler, Jill. That woman who married my brother: The problematic sibling-in-law's influence on adult-sibling closeness, 130-144. Vol. 48, Iss. 2. Cedar Falls, Iowa: Iowa Journal of Communication, 2016.
- Tyler, Jill. Media Clubs: Social Class and Critical Media Studies. In Critical Studies in Communication and Society, edited by Cao, J., Mosco, V., & Shade, L. R. , 80-97..
- Tyler, Jill, Hearns, MD, Valerie, Wallenberg, Brian, Hall, MD, Jeremy, and Bertsch, Kim. Asthma Exacerbation (Adult), Blended Simulation. Washington, DC: MedEd Portal Publications, 2014.
- Tyler, Jill. Media clubs: Social class and the shared interpretations of media texts. Southern Journal of Communication, 2010.
- Tyler, Jill. The future of relational communication: Interrogating the social, economic, and financial forces that influence personal and social relationships. Kentucky Journal of Communication, 2009.
- Tyler, Jill. Friendship, talk and taste: The interpretation of books in social networks. In Reading the readers, edited by A. Lang . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Tyler, Jill. Weak Ties and Social Networks - Old and New (It's Complicated, Alone Together, Personal Connections in the Digital Age, and Reclaiming Conversation). Hoboken, NJ: Journal of Communication - Wiley Publishing.
Awards and Honors:
- Msgr James Doyle Humanities Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Humanities Division of the College of Arts and Sciences, The College of Arts & Sciences, 2009
- Tyler, Jill. Social Isolation and Loneliness in Rural Areas. Presented at the International Association of Relationship Researchers, London, England. (July 2020)
- Tyler, Jill. Advocating for Success Beyond Academia. Presented at the Basic Course Directors' Conference, Sioux Falls, SD. (May 17, 2019)
- Tyler, Jill. Administrative Trifecta: Directors' and Chairs' Perspectives on the Basic Course. Presented at the Central States Communication Association, Omaha, NE. (April 2019)
- Tyler, Jill. Rhetoric of Social Class. Presented at the National Communication Association, Dallas, Texas. (November 19, 2017)
- Tyler, Jill. Teaching Patient Centered Communication to Medical Students. Presented at the National Communication Association, Dallas, Texas. (November 19, 2017)
- Tyler, Jill. Physicians' Use of Humor. Presented at the International Society of Humor Studies, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (July 13, 2017)
- Tyler, Jill. Friendship, Health and Social Class. Presented at the Communication, Medicine and Ethics, Indianapolis, Indiana. (June 27, 2017)
- Prentice, Carolyn, Tyler, Jill. The 50-year Old Baby: Negotiating Sibling Hierarchies in Adulthood. Presented at the Annual Conference, Las Vegas. (November 19, 2015)
- Tyler, Jill. Physician-Patient Interaction. Presented at the National Communication Association, Las Vegas, NV. (November 18, 2015)
- Tyler, Jill. Friendship, Health and Social Structure. Presented at the Relationships, Health & Wellness, New Brunswick, New Jersey. (June 21, 2015)
- Tyler, Jill, Pochop, Kayla. Physicians' Use of Compliance Gaining. Presented at the Eastern Communication Association, Philadelphia. (April 25, 2015)
- Tyler, Jill. Alcohol Use in College Communities. Presented at the DCHC Health Communication Conference, Washington, DC. (April 17, 2015)
- Tyler, Jill. Teaching and Assessment of Patient-Centered Communication. Presented at the DCHC Health Communication Conference, Washington, DC. (April 2015)
- Prentice, Carolyn, Tyler, Jill. "That Woman who Married my Brother!"; The Problematic Sibling-in-Law's Influence on Adult Sibling Closeness. Presented at the Annual Conference, Chicago, IL. (November 26, 2014)
- Ward, Steve K., Rognstad, Lynn B.. Transforming an Advising Culture: Evidence of a Professional Advising Model's Effect on First Year Retention. Presented at the NACADA 2014, Minneapolis. (October 2014)
- Tyler, Jill. Teaching and Assessing Patient-Centered Communication to First Year Medical Students. Presented at the Becker Memorial Conference on Communication & Health, Iowa City, Iowa. (February 2014)
- Tyler, Jill. "Modern Love: Health Narratives and Personal Relationships". Presented at the Medical Humanities, Boston, Massachusetts. (April 12, 2012)
- Tyler, Jill. "Real Simple: the voice that calls to us from the coffee table." Women and Media: A Critical Analysis of Women's Magazines.. Presented at the National Convention, New Orleans, LA. (November 2011)
- Tyler, Jill. "Mind, self and facebook" Symbolic Interactionism.. Presented at the National Convention, New Orleans, LA. (November 2011)
- Tyler, Jill. "Digital Parenting". Presented at the Roundtable on Language and Linguistics, Washington, D.C.. (March 2011)
- Tyler, Jill. "Social class and marriage" Critical Approaches to Relational Communication. Presented at the National Conference, San Francisco, CA. (November 2010)
- Tyler, Jill. "Two and a Half Mad Men of a Certain Age".