East Hall 304
Phone: (605) 677-5218
B.A. St. John's University, Collegeville, MN. PhD. New School for Social Research, New York, NY. (2012)
Modern Philosophy to Kant, 19th Century, Aesthetics, Ethics, Religion, Literature
Kant and Post-Kantianism, Aesthetics, Social and Political Thought, 19th and 20th Century European Philosophy
- Ph D, Philosophy, The New School for Social Research, 2012
- Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastation, South Dakota Humanities Council. (2017 - 2017)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Palgrave Handbook of Philosophy and Money: Volume Two, Modern Thought. Palgrave Macmillan, 2022.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Responses to Critical Comments on _Kant and the Reorientation of Aesthetics_. Vol. 2, Iss. 2. Society for German Idealism and Romanticism Reviews, 2019.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Kant, Marx, and the Money of Metaphysics, 45-68. Vol. 8. Con-Textos Kantianos, 2018. (DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.2300702)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Michel Chaouli, Thinking with Kant's Critique of Judgment, reviewed by Joseph J. Tinguely, 16 pp. Vol. 1, Iss. 2. New York, NY: SGIR Review, 2018.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Kant and the Reorientation of Aesthetics, 226. New York and London: Routledge, 2017.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Kantian Meta-Aesthetics and the Neglected Alternative, 211-235. Vol. 53, Iss. 2. British Journal of Aesthetics, 2013. (DOI: 10.1093/ays059)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Review of Katalin Makkai, _Kant's Critique of Taste: The Feeling of Life_ (Cambridge 2021). Kantian Review.
- Wiese, Harald, and Tinguely, Joseph. Review of Richard Seaford, _The Origins of Philosophy in Ancient Greece and Ancient India—A Historical Comparison_ (Cambridge, 2020). Wiesbaden: Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft.
- Tinguely, Joseph. Streiten and the Public Form of Judgment. de Gruyter.
- Tinguely, Joseph. The Implicit Affection between Kantian Judgment and Aristoteliean Rhetoric, 1-25. Vol. 48, Iss. 1. Philosophy and Rhetoric.
Awards and Honors:
- Monsignor James Doyle Humanities Teaching Award, College of Arts and Sciences, 2019
- Richard and Sharon Culter Faculty Award in the Liberal Arts, College of Arts and Sciences, 2018
- Tinguely, Joseph. Replies to Critics. Presented at the American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division, Vancouver, BC. (April 19, 2019)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Critical Comments on Michel Chaouli's _Thinking with Kant's Critique of Judgment_. Presented at the American Philosophical Association, Central Division, Chicago, IL. (February 23, 2018)
- Tinguely, Joseph. "The Aesthetic Quarrel between Hume and Rousseau". Presented at the American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting, Seattle, WA. (April 12, 2017)
- Tinguely, Joseph. The Trouble with Tones for Kantian Philosophies of Mind. Presented at the Biennial Meeting of the North American Kant Society, Emory University. (May 26, 2016)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Quarreling and the Public Form of Judgment. Presented at the American Society of Aesthetics, Savannah, GA. (November 15, 2015)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Streiten and the Public Form of Judgment. Presented at the International Kant Congress, Vienna, Austria. (September 22, 2015)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Kant and the Aesthetic Norms of Political Persuasion. Presented at the American Political Science Association, Washington, DC. (August 29, 2014)
- Tinguely, Joseph. Kantian Meta-Aesthetics. Presented at the Bienniel meeting of the North American Kant Society, Cornell. (May 26, 2013)