Churchill-Haines Labs 115
Phone: (605) 658-6736
General Chemistry, Organic & Biochemistry 100 level courses. Organic chemistry 200 level courses.
1. Synthesis and Characterization of Metal complexes. 2. Coordination polymers 3. Developing luminescent metal ion sensors
- Ph D, Inorganic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology. Delhi., 2000
- MS, General Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, 1995
- BS, General Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, 1993
- REU Site: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Supporting. (2018 - 2021)
- REU Site: Molecules Meet Materials, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Supporting.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Pirashanthan, Arumugam, Thanihaichelvan, Murugathas, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Velauthapillai, Dhayalan, Ravirajan, Punniamoorthy, and Yohi, Shivatharsiny. Synthesis of a carboxylic acid-based ruthenium sensitizer and its applicability towards Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, 399 - 406. Vol. 225, . Solar Energy , 2021.
- Hussain, Anwan, Lewandowski, Luke, Cork, Dawson C., Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Sykes, Andrew G.. 5. Synthesis, crystallography, spectroscopy, and kinetics involving the fluorimetric detection of metal ions by internal imine derivatives of anthraquinone-18-crown-5 in aqueous media., 11512. Vol. 200. Polyhedron, 2021.
- Pirashanthan, Arumugam, Murugathas, Thanihaichelvan, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Ravirajan, Punniamoorthy, Velayuthapillai, Dhayalan, and Yohi, Shivatharsiny. 3. A Multifunctional Ruthenium based Dye for Hybrid Nanocrystalline Titanium dioxide/Poly (3-hexylthiophene) Solar Cells., 1-4. Vol. 274, Iss. 127997. Materials Letters, 2020.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Richards, Connor J., and Sykes, Andrew. Oxidation of 1,8-oxybis(ethyleneethoxyethylenethio)anthracene-9,10-dione into sulfoxide changes the selectivity: Synthesis, Spectroscopy and X-ray Crystallography., 226-232. Vol. 159, Iss. 1. Polyhedron, 2019.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Varapragasam, Shelton J., Rasalingam, Shivatharsiny, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, and Sykes, Andrew. Facile synthesis of crystalline Pd20Te7 alloy as nanorod using organometallic precursors under ambient condition., 251 - 256.. Vol. 866, . J. Organometallic Chem., 2018.
- Thanihaichelvan, M., Ravirajan, P., Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Rasalingam, Shivatharsiny. A Novel Robust Ruthenium Dye (RuC) for Nanocrystalline TiO2 Solar Cells, 497. Fukuoka: Annual World Congress of Nano Science and Technology-2017, 2017.
- Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Dufek, Eric, Hoffman, Mariah, and Sykes, Andrew. A New Detection Mechanism involving Keto-Enol Tautomerization: Selective Fluorescence Detection of Al(III) by Dehydration of Secondary Alcohols in Mixed DMSO/Aqueous Media., 11295 - 11302. Iss. 6. RSC Advances, 2016.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, Hoffman, Mariah, Rama, Myriam A., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, John, Danielle M., and Sykes, Andrew. Improved Selectivity for Pb(II) by Sulfur, Selenium and Tellurium Analogues of 1,8 Anthraquinone-18-Crown-5: Synthesis, Spectroscopy, X-ray Crystallography and Computational Studies., 11774 - 11787. Vol. 44. Dalton Transactions, 2015. (DOI: 10.1039/c5dt01305d)
- Naasz, Hayley N., Rasalingam, Shivatharsiny, Mahoney, Luther, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Koodali, Ranjit T.. Ru-bipyridyl dye sensitized titania loaded SBA-15 mesoporous materials for visible light induced photocatalytic splitting of water. American Chemical Society: Prepr. Pap.-Am. Chem. Soc., Div. Energy Fuels 2015, 60(1), 553, 2015.
- Rasalingam, Shivatharsiny, Peng, Rui, Wu, Chia-Ming, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Koodali, Ranjit T.. Robust and Effective Ru-Bipyridyl Dye Sensitized Ti-MCM-48 Cubic Mesoporous Materials for Photocatalytic Hydrogen Evolution under Visible Light Illumination.. Vol. 65, Iss. 14-19. Catalysis Communication, 2015, 2015.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Ragothaman, Janani S., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, Hoffman, Mariah, Alaparthi, Madhubabu, and Sykes, Andrew. Palladium (II) complexes of Anthraquinone-based As-O-As type and Se-O-Se type bipodands. Synthesis, X-ray crystallography and Catalytic properties., 46-50. Vol. 429. Science Direct: Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2015, 2015.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Sykes, Andrew. Selective fluorescence sensing of Copper(II) via controllable, Cu(II)-catalyzed hydrolysis vs. oxidation pathways in aqueous acetonitrile mixtures, 2953 - 2962. Vol. 53. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.: Inorg. Chem. 2014, 2014. (DOI: 10.1021/ic402723c)
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Basa, Prem N., Balasubramanian, Vinothini, Fuoss, Sarah, and Sykes, Andrew. Synthesis, reactivity, catenation and X-ray crystallography of Ag+ and Cu+ complexes of Anthraquinone - based selenoethers: A luminescent chemodosimeter for Cu2+ and Fe3+.. Polyhedron, 2013.
- Sykes, Andrew, and Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy. The Chemistry of Constrained Crown Ring Systems and Fluorescence Sensor Applications (Review), 23-30. Vol. 75. Springer: Journal of Inclusion Phenomenon and Macrocyclic Chemistry, 2013.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Caple, Gerald, Basa, Prem N., and Sykes, Andrew G.. Preparation of onium salts of a reduced anthracenone crown ether macrocycle: A reactivity series involving pyridine, phosphine, thiophene, nitrile and primary amides, 686-692. Vol. 25. Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry 2012, 2012.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Thammavongkeo, Soudsakhone, Basa, Prem N., Caple, Gerald, and Sykes, Andrew G.. Substitution of Thiophene Oligomers with Macrocyclic End Caps and the Colorimetric Detection of Hg(II), 2364 - 2367. Vol. 13. Organic Letters 2011, 2011.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, and Basa, Prem N.. Coordination polymers of 1,8-bis(2-methylthioethoxy)anthraquinone and 1,5-bis(2-methylthioethoxy)anthraquinone with Ag(I): Synthesis and X-ray Crystallography, 344-349. Vol. 366. Elsevier: Inorganica Chimica Acta 2010, 2010. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ica.2010.11.027)
- Sykes, Andrew, Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Engelhart, Daniel, and Basa, Prem. Hexafluorophosphate salts of bis and tetrakis(2,2'-bipyridine)lead(II) complexes, 1029. Vol. 63. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2010.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Instructor Award in 2017 for Excellency in classroom and mentoring, Ms. Mary E. Johnson, 2017
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy. 1,8-Anthraquinone-18-crown-5 structure Vs Fluorescence selectivity and optical properties.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy. 1,8-Anthraquinone-18-crown-5: Fluorescence selectivity, structure and optical properties.
- Mariappan, Kadarkaraisamy, Sykes, Andrew G.. Selective Schiff base formation with a macrocyclic intraannular carbonyl group: Reactions with bases and metal ions. Presented at the American Chemical Society National Meeting, Denver, CO. (August 31, 2011)