I teach courses in the areas of cell biology, cellular physiology, and plant physiology.
My research focuses on understanding mechanisms of cellular dehydration tolerance.
I use seeds and moss to study how water loss affects cell structure and how some cells
are adapted to survive the loss of almost all their water. I also do research on
seed longevity, which is dependent upon processes that occur in the dried tissues.
Understanding the physical and chemical changes that occur in dehydrated cells may
help us improve the longevity of seeds and other genetic resources when they are stored.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Rathnayake, Kumudu N., Nelson, Sven, Seeve, Candace, Oliver, Melvin, and Koster, Karen. Acclimation and endogenous abscisic acid in the moss Physcomitrella patens during
acquisition of desiccation tolerance. Physiologia Plantarum, 2018.
- Xiao, Lihong, Yobi, Abou, Koster, Karen, He, Yikun, and Oliver, Melvin J.. Desiccation tolerance in Physcomitrella patens: rate of dehydration and the involvement
of endogenous ABA. Plant, Cell & Environment, 2018. (DOI: 10.1111/pce.13096)
- Koster, Karen. "Connections, Conundrums, and the Meaning of Life". In The Harrington Lectures, No. 60, 29. Vermillion, SD: College of Arts & Sciences, University of South Dakota, 2015.
- Goodman, Barb, Koster, Karen, and Swanson, David. The Development and Implementation of a New Medical Biology Major Including Physiology, 67-75. Vol. 39. Advances in Physiology Education, 2015. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00010.2015 )
- Nguyen, Huu T., Park, Hyunwoo, Koster, Karen, Cahoon, Rebecca E., Nguyen, Hanh T., Shanklin, John, Clemente, Thomas E., and Cahoon, Edgar B.. Redirection of Metabolic Flux for High Levels of Omega-7 Monounsaturated Fatty Acid
Accumulation in Camelina Seeds, 38-50. Vol. 13, Iss. 1. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2014. (DOI: 10.1111/pbi.12233)
- Garvey, Christopher J., Lenne, Thomas, Koster, Karen, Kent, Ben, and Bryant, Gary. Phospholipid membrane protection by sugar molecules during dehydration -- insights
into molecular mechanisms using scattering techniques, 8148-8163. Vol. 14, Iss. 4. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2013.
- Walters, Christina T., Volk, Gayle M., Stanwood, Phil C., Towill, Leigh E., Koster, Karen, and Forsline, Phil L.. Long-Term Survival of Cryopreserved Germplasm: Contributing Factors and Assessments
from Thirty Year Old Experiments, 113-120. Vol. 908. Acta Horticulturae, 2011.
- Koster, Karen, Balsamo, Ronald A., Espinoza, Catherine, and Oliver, Melvin J.. Desiccation sensitivity and tolerance in the moss Physcomitrella patens: assessing
limits and damage. In Plant Growth Regulation, 293-302. Vol. 62. Heidelberg: Plant Growth Regulation , 2010. (DOI: 10.1007/s10725-010-9490-9)
- Lenne, Thomas, Garvey, Christopher J., Koster, Karen, and Bryant, Gary. Kinetics of the lamellar gel-fluid transition in phosphatidylcholine membranes in
the presence of sugars., 236-242. Vol. 163. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids , 2010. (DOI: 10.1016/j.chemphyslip.2009.12.001)
- Oliver, Melvin J., Cushman, John C., and Koster, Karen. Dehydration tolerance in plants. In Plant Stress Tolerance, Methods in Molecular Biology, edited by Ramanjulu Sunkar, 3-24. Vol. 639, Iss. 1st. New York, NY: Plant Stress Tolerance, Methods in Molecular Biology, 2010. (DOI: 10.1007/978-1-60761-702-0_1)
- Lenne?, Thomas, Garvey, Christopher J., Koster, Karen, and Bryant, Gary. Effects of Sugars on Lipid Bilayers during Dehydration- SAXS/WAXS Measurements and
Quantitative Model, 2486-2491. Vol. 113, Iss. 8. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2009.
- Lenne, Thomas, Garvey, Christopher J., Koster, Karen, and Bryant, Gary. The effects of sugars on lipid bilayers during dehydration: SAXS/WAXS measurements
and quantitative model.. In Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2486-2491. Vol. 113..
- Lenne, Thomas, Bryant, Gary, Holcomb, Roland, and Koster, Karen. How much solute is needed to inhibit the fluid-gel membrane phase transition at low
hydration?, 1019-1022. Vol. 1768, Iss. 5. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Biomembranes , 2007. (DOI: doi:10.1016/j.bbamem.2007.01.008 )
- Walters, Christina, and Koster, Karen. Structural dynamics and desiccation damage in plant reproductive organs. In Plant Desiccation Tolerance,, edited by MA Jenks, A Wood. Oxford: Plant Desiccation Tolerance, Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- Mo, Bing, and Koster, Karen. Changes in lipoxygenase isoforms during germination and early seedling growth of Pisum
sativum L., 97-106. Vol. 16. Wallingford: Seed Science Research , 2006.
- Koster, Karen, and Bryant, Gary. Dehydration in model membranes and protoplasts: contrasting effects at low, intermediate
and high hydrations.. In Cold Hardiness in Plants, edited by THH Chen, M Uemura, S Fujikawa, 219-234. Wallingford: Cold Hardiness in Plants, CABI, 2006.
- Lenne, Thomas, Bryant, Gary, Garvey, Chris J., Leiderling, U, and Koster, Karen. Location of sugars in multilamellar membranes at low hydration., 862-864. Vol. 385-386. Physica B: Condensed Matter, 2006. (DOI: doi:10.1016/j.physb.2006.05.127 )
- Lenne, Thomas, Bryant, Gary, Koster, Karen, and Holcomb, Roland. Quantitative analysis of the effect of sugars on membrane phase transitions and interlamellar
hydration forces, 443. Vol. 53, Iss. 3. Cryobiology, 2006.
- Bryant, Gary, Lenne, Thomas, Koster, Karen, and Garvey, Christopher J.. Sugar distribution between and around membranes during dehydration, 404. Vol. 53, Iss. 3. Cryobiology, 2006.
- Halperin, Stephen J., and Koster, Karen. Sugar effects on membrane damage during desiccation of pea embryo protoplasts., 2303-2311. Vol. 57. Journal of Experimental Botany , 2006.
- Lenne, T, Bryant, G, and Koster, Karen. Quantitative study on the effects of sugars on membrane phase transitions-preliminary
investigations. In 16th National Congress 2005 Australian Institute of Physics..
- Bryant, Gary, and Koster, Karen. Dehydration of solute-lipid systems: hydration forces analysis, 73-79. Vol. 35, Iss. 2. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2004.
- Hejl, Angela M., and Koster, Karen. Juglone disrupts root plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity and impairs water uptake,
root respiration, and growth in soybean (Glycine max) and corn (Zea mays), 453-471. Vol. 30, Iss. 2. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 2004.
- Hejl, Angela M., and Koster, Karen. The allelochemical sorgoleone inhibits root H+-ATPase and water uptake, 2181-2191. Vol. 30, Iss. 11. Journal of chemical ecology, 2004.
- Koster, Karen, Reisdorph, Nichole, and Ramsay, Jodie L.. Changing desiccation tolerance of pea embryo protoplasts during germination, 1607-1614. Vol. 54, Iss. 387. Journal of Experimental Botany, 2003.
- Koster, Karen, Maddocks, Kami J., and Bryant, Gary. Exclusion of maltodextrins from phosphatidylcholine multilayers during dehydration:
effects on membrane phase behaviour, 96-105. Vol. 32, Iss. 2. European Biophysics Journal, 2003.
- Ramsay, Jodie L., and Koster, Karen. A comparison of anhydrous fixation methods for the observation of pea embryonic axes
(Pisum sativum L. cv. Alaska), 83-90. Vol. 12, Iss. 2. Seed Science Research, 2002.
- Wolfe, Joe, Bryant, Gary, and Koster, Karen. What is unfreezable water, how unfreezable is it and how much is there?, 157-166. Vol. 23, Iss. 3. CryoLetters, 2002.
- Xiao, Limin, and Koster, Karen. Desiccation tolerance of protoplasts isolated from pea embryos, 2105-2114. Vol. 52, Iss. 364. Journal of experimental botany, 2001.
- Bryant, Gary, Koster, Karen, and Wolfe, Joe. Membrane behaviour in seeds and other systems at low water content: the various effects
of solutes, 17-25. Vol. 11, Iss. 01. Seed Science Research, 2001.
- Koster, Karen, Lei, Yao P., Anderson, Matthew, Martin, Stephen, and Bryant, Gary. Effects of vitrified and nonvitrified sugars on phosphatidylcholine fluid-to-gel phase
transitions, 1932-1946. Vol. 78, Iss. 4. Biophysical Journal, 2000.
- Edwards, Joshua R., Koster, Karen, and Swanson, David. Time course for cryoprotectant synthesis in the freeze-tolerant chorus frog,< i> Pseudacris
triseriata</i>, 367-375. Vol. 125, Iss. 3. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, 2000.
- Reisdorph, Nichole A., and Koster, Karen. Progressive loss of desiccation tolerance in germinating pea (Pisum sativum) seeds, 265-271. Vol. 105, Iss. 2. Physiologia Plantarum, 1999.
- Hejl, Angela M., and Koster, Karen. The phytotoxin juglone inhibits microsomal H+-ATPase activity, 66. Vol. 117. Plant Physiol, 1998.
- Koster, Karen, Sommervold, Catherine L., and Lei, Yao P.. The effect of storage temperature on interactions between dehydrated sugars and phosphatidylcholine, 1581-1596. Vol. 47, Iss. 5. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 1996.
- Koster, Karen, Webb, Murray S., Bryant, Gary, and Lynch, Daniel V.. Interactions between soluble sugars and POPC (1-palmitoyl-2-oleoylphosphatidylcholine)
during dehydration: vitrification of sugars alters the phase behavior of the phospholipid, 143-150. Vol. 1193, Iss. 1. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Biomembranes, 1994.
- HEJL, AM, BORMANN, T, Koster, Karen, and EINHELLIG, FA. EFFECT OF 6 SESQUETERPINE LACTONES ON OXYGEN-UPTAKE IN ISOLATED-MITOCHONDRIA AND OXYGEN
EVOLUTION IN ISOLATED-CHLOROPLASTS. In PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 114-114. Vol. 102, Iss. 1..
- Koster, Karen, and WEBB, MS. VITRIFIED SUGARS LOWER THE GEL-TO-FLUID PHASE-TRANSITION TEMPERATURE OF PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE
DURING DEHYDRATION-RELEVANCE TO ANHYDROBIOLOGY. In PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 160-160. Vol. 102, Iss. 1..
- Koster, Karen, and Lynch, Daniel V.. Solute accumulation and compartmentation during the cold acclimation of Puma rye, 108-113. Vol. 98, Iss. 1. Plant Physiology, 1992.
- Koster, Karen. Glass formation and desiccation tolerance in seeds, 302-304. Vol. 96, Iss. 1. Plant Physiology, 1991.
- Koster, Karen. The role of soluble sugars during dehydrative stress in plants. Cornell University, Jan., 1991.
- Koster, Karen, and Leopold, A Carl. Sugars and desiccation tolerance in seeds, 829-832. Vol. 88, Iss. 3. Plant Physiology, 1988.