Kevin J. Reins is an associate professor of mathematics education in the Department
of Curriculum and Instruction at the University of South Dakota, teaching courses
in elementary, middle and secondary mathematics methods and STEM at the graduate
and undergraduate levels. He reviews manuscripts and related works for Mathematics
Teacher, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, and Allyn & Bacon. Currently he
serves as member of the Mathematics Advisory Council, Improving Mathematics Performance
Task Force, Mobile Computing Initiative, and Math Standards Review. His research and
service foci are the use of Lesson Study with preservice and inservice mathematics
teachers, Realistic Mathematics Education, math modelling, instructional strategies
and technology-mediated teaching and learning in mathematics.
Realistic Mathematics Education, Guided Reinvention, Constructivism, Principles to
Actions & Effective Math Teaching Practices
Realistic Mathematics Education, Lesson Study with Prospective Secondary Mathematics
Teachers, Curriculum Focus & Coherence, Transformative Technology, Specialized Content
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- , Lisa A., Sweeney, William R., and Reins, Kevin J.. Defying Expectations: Representations of Youths in Young Adult Literature, 324. Vol. 63, Iss. 3. Hoboken, NJ: Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 2019. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00405841.2011.584031)
- Reins, Kevin. Broadening the landscape of modeling by including an emergent view.. In Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education (APME) 2016: Mathematical Modeling and
Modeling Mathematics, edited by Christian Hirsch. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2016.
- Reins, Kevin J.. Using tasks to assess and support student modeling, use of mathematical structure,
and argumentation.. In Classroom Assessment to Achieve the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice, edited by Beverly J. Ferrucci, 50-63. Vol. 46. Keene, NH: NEMJ, ATMNE, 2014.
- Reins, Kevin. Exploiting box plots for a visual model of informal statistical inference .. Edited by David Webb, 16. Boulder, CO: University of Colorado, 2013.
- Reins, Kevin. PBL Partnership with Sioux Falls New Technology High School (SFNTHS). In NExT Newsletter, edited by Rebecca Martin. Saint Paul, MN: Bush Foundation, 2012.
- Reins, Kevin. The Great Balancing Activity: A Hypothetical Learning Trajectory for Descriptive Statistics
Which Supports Learning With Understanding and Encourages Sense Making. Edited by David C. Webb, 11. Boulder, CO: Freudenthal Institute for Science and Mathematics Education, 2011.
- Hazlett, Lisa, Sweeney, William, and Reins, Kevin. Using Young Adult Literature Featuring LGBTQ, Disabled, and Disabled LGBTQ Adolescents
to Strengthen Classroom Inclusion. Edited by Anita Woolfolk Hoy, 206-214. Vol. 50, Iss. 3. Urbana, IL: Theory Into Practice, 2011.
- Reins, Kevin. Patient Problem Posing (3P). In The Impact of Tablet PCs and Pen-based Technology on Education: Going Mainstream 2010, edited by Robert H. Reed and Dave A. Berque, 154. West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University Press, 2010.
- Reins, Kevin. Annotation Practices with Pen-Based Technologies. In Technology implementation and teacher education: Reflective Models, edited by Junko Yamamoto, Joseph C. Kush, Ron Lombard, C. Jay Hertzog, 398-417. Hershey, New York: Information Science Reference, IGI Global, 2010.
- Reins, Kevin. Digital tablet PCs as new "technologies of writing" and learning: A survey of perceptions
of digital ink technology, 1-16. Vol. 7, Iss. 3. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 2007.
- Reins, Kevin. Chapter 7: Geometry. In Teaching for K-12 mathematical understanding using the Conceptual Change Model, edited by Robert J. Kansky, 233-276. Saiwood, CA: Saiwood Publications, 2006.
- Reins, Kevin. Chapter 7: Geometry. In Teaching for K-12 mathematical understanding using the Conceptual Change Model, edited by Robert J. Kansky, 233-276. Saiwood, CA: Saiwood Publications, 2005.
- Reins, Kevin. Designing Effective Lesson Study Practices for Mathematics Education Students. In International Society for Design and Development in Education (www.isdde.org), edited by Kaye Stacey & Sheila Evans. Vol. 4, Iss. 13. University of Melbourne: Educational Designer, Journal of the International Society for Design and Development