W M Lee Center for Fine Arts 106
Phone: (605) 658-3457
Dr. Lauren Freese earned her Ph.D, in American art history in 2017 from the University of Iowa.
American art history, nineteenth- and twentieth-century art history, social art history, interdisciplinary approaches , museum studies
American art history, print culture, food studies, American studies and material culture
- Ph D, American Art History, University of Iowa, 2017
- MA, Art History, University of Iowa, 2013
- BA, Art History & Business Administration, Hamline University, 2011
- CTL Open Textbook Fellowship, USD Center for Teaching and Learning. (2019 - Present)
- Jay and Deborah Last Fellowship, American Antiquarian Society. (2018 - 2018)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Freese, Lauren. Review of Albert Bierstadt: Witness to a Changing West, 98. Vol. 49, Iss. 1. Pierre, South Dakota: South Dakota History, 2019.
- Freese, Lauren. Feeding the Conscience: Philanthropic Food Distribution and Difference in the Popular Press. Edited by Shana Klein and Guy Jordan, 14. Vol. 3, Iss. 2. Panorama: Journal of the Association of Historians of American Art, 2017.
- Freese, Lauren. "Still Life at the Intersection: Louis Lozowick's Politics and Aesthetics", 217-229. Vol. 15, Iss. 2. American Communist History, 2016. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14743892.2016.1228761)
- Freese, Lauren. Food and Identity in Depictions of Agriculture in the Early American Popular Press. Presented at the Association for the Study of Food in Society , Anchorage, Alaska. (June 26, 2019)
- Freese, Lauren. "Life is like a good bowl of punch": The Communicative and Social Function of Food Imagery in Eighteenth-Century American Periodicals. Presented at the The 50th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Denver, Colorado. (March 22, 2019)
- Freese, Lauren. A Taste for Images, Fellow's Presentation. Presented at the American Antiquarian Society, Fellow's Presentation, Worcester, Massachusetts. (July 26, 2018)
- Freese, Lauren. Thirsty Artists: George Luks's Depictions of Drinking and Dining in the Popular Press. Presented at the Midwest Art History Society, Indianapolis, Indiana. (April 5, 2018)
- Freese, Lauren. Exploring the Visual Culture of Grains: Selections from "Boiled, Baked & Brewed". Presented at the Figge Art Museum, Curator's Lecture, Davenport, Iowa. (March 29, 2018)
- Freese, Lauren. Feeding the Conscience: Depictions of Charitable Food Distribution in the Progressive Era. Presented at the College Art Association, New York City, New York. (February 2017)
- Freese, Lauren. Eating Creatively: William Glackens's At Mouquin's, French Restaurants, and the Fashioning of a Creative Space. Presented at the Southeastern College Art Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (October 2015)
- Freese, Lauren. Consuming Italians: John Sloan's Renganeschi's Saturday Night. Presented at the Southeastern College Art Conference, Sarasota, Florida. (October 2014)