Dakota Hall 219
Phone: (605) 677-5229
Dr. Leah McCormack was Assistant Professor of English at ASU in Colorado before coming to USD. Her creative and scholarly work has appeared in numerous journals, including New England Review and Prairie Fire. She is currently working on her novel, House of Pregnant Man.
Creative Writing (Fiction & Nonfiction), Contemporary American Literature, Ethnic American Literatures, Postcolonial Literatures, Graphic Narratives. Courses taught at USD: ENGL 784 Writing Nonfiction; ENGL 792 Narrative Theory & Method; ENGL 781 Writing the Novel & Memoir; ENGL 476/576 Creative Writing: Fiction; ENGL 475/575 Creative Writing: Nonfiction; ENGL 492/592 Nonfiction Graphic Narratives; ENGL 283 Introduction to Creative Writing.
Creative Writing, Graphic Narratives, Historiographic Metafiction, Magical Realism, Transnational American Literatures, Postcolonial Theory, Trauma Studies
- Ph D, Creative Writing & Literature, University of Cincinnati, 2015
- MFA, Creative Writing, City College of New York, City University of New York, 2008
- BA, English, State University of New York at Albany, 2003
- 2018 John R. Milton Writers' Conference, South Dakota Humanities Council. Grant Role: Principal. (2018 - 2019)
- 2018 John R. Milton Writers' Conference, South Dakota Arts Council. Grant Role: Principal. (2018 - 2019)
- 2017-2018 Arts & Sciences Travel Grant Program, University of South Dakota, Arts & Sciences. Grant Role: Principal. (2017 - 2017)
- 2016-2017 Arts & Sciences Travel Grant Program, University of South Dakota, Arts & Sciences. Grant Role: Principal. (2016 - 2016)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- McCormack, Leah. However Broken. Hotel Amerika, 2017.
- McCormack, Leah. Blameless, 154-68. Vol. 37, Iss. 3. New England Review, 2016.
- McCormack, Leah. Oh, Work!, 192-95. Vol. 37, Iss. 1. REAL: Regarding Arts & Letters, 2013.
- McCormack, Leah. Reclaiming Silenced and Erased Histories: The Paratextual Devices of Historiographic Metafiction, 37-54. Vol. 14, Iss. 2. Making Connections: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Cultural Diversity, 2013.
- McCormack, Leah. The Lonely Planet, 81-92. Vol. 34, Iss. 1. Prairie Fire, 2013.
- McCormack, Leah. Conjoined Twins Separated, 107-15. Vol. 78, Iss. 1. North Dakota Quarterly, 2012.
- McCormack, Leah. Pucka, Pucka, Pucka!, 1-7. Vol. 58, Iss. 2. The Portland Review, 2012.
- McCormack, Leah. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. Come in. Come in. Come in., 103-08. Vol. 8, Iss. 2. Redivider, 2011.
- McCormack, Leah. Who Were We, What Were We?. BRINK Magazine, 2010.
- McCormack, Leah. It's Your Father's Summer Workshop, 215-23. Vol. 20, Iss. 1. Fiction, 2006.
- McCormack, Leah. Postcolonial Hybridity: Magic in the Margins. The Journal of Postcolonial Cultures and Societies.
- McCormack, Leah. Trappings. Presented at the Writing the Midwest: A Symposium of Scholars and Writers, Lansing, MI. (May 2019)
- McCormack, Leah. Flash Fiction: A Study in Temporality. Presented at the 15th International Conference on the Short Story in English, Lisbon, Portugal. (June 2018)
- McCormack, Leah. Trauma in Graphic Narratives. Presented at the SCMLA 74th Annual Conference, Tulsa, Oklahoma. (October 6, 2017)
- McCormack, Leah. Graphic Images: The Role of Photographs in Comics. Presented at the 2017 MPCA/ACA Conference, St. Louis, MO. (October 2017)
- McCormack, Leah. 'Fraudulence' in Life Writing & Fiction. Presented at the Truth, Lies & Manufacturing Memory at the International Festival of Authors (IFOA), Toronto, Canada. (October 28, 2016)
- McCormack, Leah. Reinserting Biracial Subjectivity in Larsen's Passing. Presented at the Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA), Hartford, CT. (March 2016)
- McCormack, Leah. Magic in the Borderlands. Presented at the Frontiers and Borders in American Literature at the American Literature Association (ALA), San Antonio, TX. (February 2016)
- McCormack, Leah. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. Come in. Come in. Come in.. Presented at the Southwest Popular Culture/American Culture Association Conference, Albuquerque, NM. (February 2016)
- McCormack, Leah. Who Wears Short Shorts? (We Do): Revitalizing the Fiction Workshop. Presented at the Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP), Seattle, WA. (March 2014)
- McCormack, Leah. Fraudulent Artifacts: The Art of 'Faction' in Life-Writing and Fiction. Presented at the Midwest Modern Language Association (MMLA), Milwaukee, WI. (November 2013)
- McCormack, Leah. Visualizing Trauma: Photographs in Nonfiction Graphic Narratives. Presented at the Midwest Modern Language Association (MMLA), Milwaukee, WI. (November 2013)
- McCormack, Leah. Postcolonial Hybridity: Magic in the Margins. Presented at the The Changing Landscape of American Multiethnic Literature through Historical Crises at The Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States (MELUS), Pittsburgh, PA. (March 2013)
- McCormack, Leah. Re-imaging Historical Trauma: The Use of Photographs in the Postmodern Memoirs of Mendelsohn's The Lost, Hartman's Lose Your Mother, and Spiegelman's Maus. Presented at the Louisville Conference on Culture and Literature, Louisville, KY. (February 2012)
- McCormack, Leah. The Wondrous Experimentation of Oscar Wao. Presented at the Literature in the Margins Conference at Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada. (March 2011)