Lisa Ann Robertson is an Associate Professor in Nineteenth-Century British Literature with expertise in Romanticism and eighteenth-century literature and culture.
Eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British literature and culture, British Romanticism, women writers and the rise of the novel, graduate-level bibliography and research. Recent courses taught include: The Literature of Feminist Politics (cross-listed in Women's Studies and Philosophy, team-taught), Eighteenth and Nineteenth-Century British Literature & Culture: What's Love Got to Do with It? Women Authors and the Market(s), Film & Literature: Analyzing Adaptation, British Literature Survey II
Literature, science, cognition, aesthetics, and ethics in British Romanticism; Romantic materialist theories of mind, pedagogy, and politics; women and science; feminist philosophy
- Ph D, English Literature, University of Alberta, 2013
- MA, English Literature, Ohio State University, 2006
- BA, English and Women's Studies, Ohio State University, 1991
- Frankenstein 200!, South Dakota Humanities Council. (2018 - 2018)
- Frankenstein 200!, Keats-Shelley Association of American & Byron Association of America. (2017 - 2018)
- College of Arts & Sciences Curriculum Transformation Grant, College Committee on Diversity in the Curriculum. (2016 - 2016)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Thomas Beddoes' Democratic Toys. Edited by Tim Fulford and Dahlia Porter. Liverpool: Essays in Romanticism, 2019.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Andrew Bennett, ed., William Wordsworth in Context, Cambridge UP, 2015 & Richard Gravil and Daniel Robinson, ed., The Oxford Handbook of William Wordsworth, Oxford UP, 2015. Edited by William Brewer, 96-102. Vol. 29, Iss. 1. European Romantic Review, 2018. (DOI: 10.1080/10509585.2018.1417063)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Elizabeth A. Bohls. Slavery and the Politics of Place: Representing the Colonial Caribbean, 1770-1883. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2014.. Edited by Richard Berkeley, 111-117. Vol. 1, Iss. 2. Paris: Journal of Romanticism, 2018.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Jan Golinski, The Experimental Self: Humphry Davy and the Making of a Man of Science, Chicago UP, 2016. Edited by Paul Westover, 909-911. Vol. 56, Iss. 4. Cambridge: Journal of British Studies, 2017.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Hints & Speculation on Education": Tom Wedgwood's Materialist Pedagogy. In Romantic Education: Romantic Pedagogies and New Approaches to Teaching Romanticism, edited by Suzanne L. Barnett and Katherine Bennett Gustafson. Iss. May 2016. Romantic Circles Pedagogy Commons, 2016.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Composite review of Sandy, Mark. Romanticism, Memory, and Mourning. Farnham: Ashgate, 2013. Vol. 42, Iss. 2. Nineteenth Century Prose , 2015. (DOI: 387-97)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Swallowed Up In Impression": Humphry Davy's Materialist Theory of Embodied Transcendence and William Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey", 591-614. Vol. 26, Iss. 5. European Romantic Review, 2015. (DOI: 10.1080/10509585.2015.1070343)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Day, Aidan. Romanticism. 2nd ed., 809-810. Vol. 19, Iss. 6. European Legacy: Toward New Paradigms, 2014. (DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2014.949975)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Soulful Sensorium: The Body in British Romantic Brain Science. Edited by Tiziana Morosetti and Norbert Lennartz, 17-28. Vol. 3, Iss. 1. La Questione Romantica: Rivista Interdisciplinare di Studi Romantici, 2011.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Webster, Suzanne E. Body and Soul in Coleridge's Notebooks, 1827-1834: "What is Life?", 999-1000. Vol. 16, Iss. 7. European Legacy: Toward New Paradigms, 2011. (DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2011.626224)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. 'Universal Thump': The Redemptive Epistemology of Touch in Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, 5-20. Vol. 12, Iss. 2.. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-1849.2010.01159.x)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Vicissitudes of Video Games, 8-13. Vol. 8, Iss. 3. Edmonton, AB: Fifty3: Journal of Contemporary Visual Culture, 2007.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Sensible" Slavery: Pleasure, Pain, and the Body in Matthew Lewis' Journal of a West India Slave Proprietor, 220-37. Vol. 29, Iss. 2. Prose Studies: History, Theory, Criticism , 2007. (DOI: 10.1080/01440350701432796)
- , Lisa Ann. "Kindred forms": Erasmus Darwin's Posthuman Ethics of Relationality. Abingdon, Oxfordshire: European Romantic Review.
Awards and Honors:
- Belbas-Larsen Teaching Award, University of South Dakota, 2020
- Nomination - Belbas-Larsen Teaching Award, University of South Dakota, 2020
- Nomination - Belbas-Larsen Teaching Award, University of South Dakota, 2019
- Best Article Award 2015, European Romantic Review, 2016
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Early Career Scholar Grant, University of Edinburgh, 2015
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, English, Colleen, Harris, Renee, Mulligan, John. She Thinks for Herself: Exploring Women's Participation in the Mind-Matter Debates. Presented at the NASSR Roundtable: Women in Science, Online. (June 28, 2021)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Savarese, John, Harris, Renee, Watkins, Adam E.. "Internal Feelings of the Mind": Entanglements of Affect and Cognition in Hartley's Observations on Man. Presented at the NASSR 27th Annual Conference: Romantic Elements, Chicago, IL. (August 8, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Porter, Dahlia, Trop, Gabriel, Sha, Richard C., Faflak, Joel. 'Born in Elemental Strife': Vitality and Cognition in Erasmus Darwin's Theory of Embodied Organicism. Presented at the NASSR Pre-Conference Seminar The Elemental: Romantic Science, Literature, Psychoanalysis, Chicago, IL. (August 7, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Sha, Richard, Savarese, John, Kramnick, Jon, Walker, Leila. Embodied Cognition and the Romantic Structures of Experience. Presented at the MLA 2019, Chicago, IL. (January 5, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. At the Border of Knowledge, or, Babies in the Scientific Imagination. Presented at the ICR: 2017 Romantic (In) Securty, El Paso, TX. (October 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Life of the Body is the Life of the Mind: Erasmus Darwin's Materialist Theory of Cognition. Presented at the NASSR 2017 Conference : Romantic Life, Ottawa, ON. (August 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "'From the Imbecility of Children': Infants in the Scientific Imagination". Presented at the Bicentennial Conference "Robert Southey and Romantic-era Literature, Culture, and Science: 1797, 1817, 2017", Bristol, England. (April 12, 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Satanic Seduction: Zofloya and the Infernal Marriage Plot. Presented at the ICR 2016: The Dark Side of Romanticism, Colorado Springs, Colorado. (October 20, 2016)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Wordsworth's Discontented Senses: Disappointment and the Embodied Imagination. Presented at the NASSR 2016 Conference : Romanticism and its Discontents, Berkely, CA. (August 11, 2016)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Enacting the Absolute: Subject-Object Relations in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Theory of Mind. Presented at the A History of Distributed Cognition, Workshop 3—From the Enlightenment to Romanticism, Edinburgh, Scotland. (June 2015)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Enactive Imagination: William Wordsworth's Embodied Mind,. Presented at the Romantic Organizations: NASSR 22nd Annual Conference , Washington, DC. (July 12, 2014)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Power of Modifying: Organic Theories of Mind in British Romanticism. Presented at the Romantic Research Group, Romanticism & Evolution Conference, London ON. (May 13, 2011)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Soulful Sensorium: The Body in Early British Romantic Brain Science. Presented at the Midwest Conference on British Studies, 56th Annual Conference, Cleveland OH. (October 8, 2010)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "'Sensible' Slavery: Pleasure, Pain and the Body in Matthew Lewis' Journal of a West India Slave Proprietor. Presented at the Folklore Student Association Conference, Columbus, OH. (May 20, 2006)