Lisa Ann Robertson
Dakota Hall 207
Phone: (605) 677-5229
Lisa Ann Robertson is currently revising a book manuscript entitled The Embodied Imagination. She has published in ERR, La Questione Romantica, Prose Studies, and Romantic Circles Pedagogy Commons. She also has chapters forthcoming in an edited anthology Distributed Cognition in Enlightenment and Romantic Culture, volume 3 of The Edinburgh History of Distributed Cognition and in Romanticism and the Cultures of Infancy.
British Romanticism, eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British literature and culture, literature and science. Graduate courses taught include an eighteenth-century literature class entitled "'Unnatural Tension of the Nerves': From Sensibility to Slavery"; a class on British Romanticism, "Unacknowledged Legislators of the World: Literature and Power in the Age of Revolution"; and a seminar on the nineteenth-century called "Prisoned in Thought: Bodies and Minds Nineteenth-Century Britain."
The intersection of science and literary cultures in Romantic-era Britain with an emphasis on the science of the mind; eighteenth- and nineteenth-century materialist theories of mind and pedagogy and investigates women's participation in the mind-matter debates through their writing on education.
- Ph D, English Literature, University of Alberta, 2013
- MA, English Literature, Ohio State University, 2006
- BA, English and Women's Studies, Ohio State University, 1991
- Frankenstein 200!, South Dakota Humanities Council. (2018 - 2018)
- Frankenstein 200!, Keats-Shelley Association of American & Byron Association of America. (2017 - 2018)
- College of Arts & Sciences Curriculum Transformation Grant, College Committee on Diversity in the Curriculum. (2016 - 2016)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Thomas Beddoes' Democratic Toys. Edited by Tim Fulford and Dahlia Porter. Liverpool: Essays in Romanticism, 2019.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Andrew Bennett, ed., William Wordsworth in Context, Cambridge UP, 2015 & Richard Gravil and Daniel Robinson, ed., The Oxford Handbook of William Wordsworth, Oxford UP, 2015. Edited by William Brewer, 96-102. Vol. 29, Iss. 1. European Romantic Review, 2018. (DOI: 10.1080/10509585.2018.1417063)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Elizabeth A. Bohls. Slavery and the Politics of Place: Representing the Colonial Caribbean, 1770-1883. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2014.. Edited by Richard Berkeley, 111-117. Vol. 1, Iss. 2. Paris: Journal of Romanticism, 2018.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Jan Golinski, The Experimental Self: Humphry Davy and the Making of a Man of Science, Chicago UP, 2016. Edited by Paul Westover, 909-911. Vol. 56, Iss. 4. Cambridge: Journal of British Studies, 2017.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Hints & Speculation on Education": Tom Wedgwood's Materialist Pedagogy. In Romantic Education: Romantic Pedagogies and New Approaches to Teaching Romanticism, edited by Suzanne L. Barnett and Katherine Bennett Gustafson. Iss. May 2016. Romantic Circles Pedagogy Commons, 2016.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Composite review of Sandy, Mark. Romanticism, Memory, and Mourning. Farnham: Ashgate, 2013. Vol. 42, Iss. 2. Nineteenth Century Prose , 2015. (DOI: 387-97)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Swallowed Up In Impression": Humphry Davy's Materialist Theory of Embodied Transcendence and William Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey", 591-614. Vol. 26, Iss. 5. European Romantic Review, 2015. (DOI: 10.1080/10509585.2015.1070343)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Day, Aidan. Romanticism. 2nd ed., 809-810. Vol. 19, Iss. 6. European Legacy: Toward New Paradigms, 2014. (DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2014.949975)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Soulful Sensorium: The Body in British Romantic Brain Science. Edited by Tiziana Morosetti and Norbert Lennartz, 17-28. Vol. 3, Iss. 1. La Questione Romantica: Rivista Interdisciplinare di Studi Romantici, 2011.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Review of Webster, Suzanne E. Body and Soul in Coleridge's Notebooks, 1827-1834: "What is Life?", 999-1000. Vol. 16, Iss. 7. European Legacy: Toward New Paradigms, 2011. (DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2011.626224)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. 'Universal Thump': The Redemptive Epistemology of Touch in Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, 5-20. Vol. 12, Iss. 2.. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-1849.2010.01159.x)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Vicissitudes of Video Games, 8-13. Vol. 8, Iss. 3. Edmonton, AB: Fifty3: Journal of Contemporary Visual Culture, 2007.
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "Sensible" Slavery: Pleasure, Pain, and the Body in Matthew Lewis' Journal of a West India Slave Proprietor, 220-37. Vol. 29, Iss. 2. Prose Studies: History, Theory, Criticism , 2007. (DOI: 10.1080/01440350701432796)
Awards and Honors:
- Best Article Award 2015, European Romantic Review, 2016
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Early Career Scholar Grant, University of Edinburgh, 2015
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, English, Colleen, Harris, Renee, Mulligan, John. She Thinks for Herself: Exploring Women's Participation in the Mind-Matter Debates. Presented at the NASSR 28th Annual Conference: Romanticism & Vision, Toronto, ON. (August 2020)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Savarese, John, Harris, Renee, Watkins, Adam E.. "Internal Feelings of the Mind": Entanglements of Affect and Cognition in Hartley's Observations on Man. Presented at the NASSR 27th Annual Conference: Romantic Elements, Chicago, IL. (August 8, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Porter, Dahlia, Trop, Gabriel, Sha, Richard C., Faflak, Joel. 'Born in Elemental Strife': Vitality and Cognition in Erasmus Darwin's Theory of Embodied Organicism. Presented at the NASSR Pre-Conference Seminar The Elemental: Romantic Science, Literature, Psychoanalysis, Chicago, IL. (August 7, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann, Sha, Richard, Savarese, John, Kramnick, Jon, Walker, Leila. Embodied Cognition and the Romantic Structures of Experience. Presented at the MLA 2019, Chicago, IL. (January 5, 2019)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. At the Border of Knowledge, or, Babies in the Scientific Imagination. Presented at the ICR: 2017 Romantic (In) Securty, El Paso, TX. (October 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Life of the Body is the Life of the Mind: Erasmus Darwin's Materialist Theory of Cognition. Presented at the NASSR 2017 Conference : Romantic Life, Ottawa, ON. (August 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "'From the Imbecility of Children': Infants in the Scientific Imagination". Presented at the Bicentennial Conference "Robert Southey and Romantic-era Literature, Culture, and Science: 1797, 1817, 2017", Bristol, England. (April 12, 2017)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Satanic Seduction: Zofloya and the Infernal Marriage Plot. Presented at the ICR 2016: The Dark Side of Romanticism, Colorado Springs, Colorado. (October 20, 2016)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Wordsworth's Discontented Senses: Disappointment and the Embodied Imagination. Presented at the NASSR 2016 Conference : Romanticism and its Discontents, Berkely, CA. (August 11, 2016)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Enacting the Absolute: Subject-Object Relations in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Theory of Mind. Presented at the A History of Distributed Cognition, Workshop 3—From the Enlightenment to Romanticism, Edinburgh, Scotland. (June 2015)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Enactive Imagination: William Wordsworth's Embodied Mind,. Presented at the Romantic Organizations: NASSR 22nd Annual Conference , Washington, DC. (July 12, 2014)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. The Power of Modifying: Organic Theories of Mind in British Romanticism. Presented at the Romantic Research Group, Romanticism & Evolution Conference, London ON. (May 13, 2011)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. Soulful Sensorium: The Body in Early British Romantic Brain Science. Presented at the Midwest Conference on British Studies, 56th Annual Conference, Cleveland OH. (October 8, 2010)
- Robertson, Lisa Ann. "'Sensible' Slavery: Pleasure, Pain and the Body in Matthew Lewis' Journal of a West India Slave Proprietor. Presented at the Folklore Student Association Conference, Columbus, OH. (May 20, 2006)