Liz Heeren was born and raised in South Dakota, the daughter of a musician and an artist. She was the fourth generation from her scandinavian family to attend Saint Olaf College in Northfield, MN, and completed a double major in biology and studio art. In 1998 she was awarded a scholarship and teaching assistantship to the University of Arizona and received my MA in Art Theory/Art Education in 2000. While attending the University of Arizona, Heeren received a Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship to conduct research at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand for the NZ academic year of 2001. She then returned to the US to complete an MFA in painting at the University of South Dakota. Since 2002, Heeren has taught for various academic institutions, including SDSU, DSU, University of Sioux Falls and Augustana University. She is currently teaching for USD at the University Center campus in Sioux Falls, SD.
Technical Drawing, Conceptual Drawing, Mixed Media Drawing, Design, Color Theory, Painting, 3D Design, Art Appreciation
Investigation of the ecotone/overlap of natural and synthetic, investigation of consciousness and the overlap of consciousness and technological dependence.
- MFA, Painting, University of South Dakota, 2007
- MA, Art Education and Art Theory, University of Arizona, 2000
- BA, Double Major: Biology, Studio Art, Saint Olaf College, 1997
Awards and Honors:
- Featured/Invited Artist - Governor's Biennial Exhibit, South Dakota, South Dakota Arts Council, 2018
- Arts Innovation Award - Ka Chunk, Ipso Gallery, Sioux Empire Arts Council, 2018
- Best of Class Award - News, Fresh Produce and Ipso Gallery, 2017
- Gold Addy Award - News Campaign/Promotion, Fresh Produce and Ipso Gallery, 2017
- FATE National Juried Exhibition, Foundations in Art: Theory and Education, 2015
- 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award, University Center Campus, Sioux Falls, SD, 2014
- Best of Show, SD State Addy Awards - Illustrator, Fresh Produce, South Dakota State Advertising Federation, 2012
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar, Rotary International, 2001
- Creative Achievement Award, University of Arizona, 2000
- Heeren, Liz. How to Start an Art Collection. Presented at the Sioux Falls Design Week, Sioux Falls Design Center, Sioux Falls, SD. (October 3, 2017)
- Heeren, Liz. Women at Work: Panel Discussion.
- Heeren, Elizabeth. The Marriage of Art and Business. Presented at the UCDA National Design Education Summit, Brookings, SD. (May 19, 2015)
- Heeren, Elizabeth. Art Production and Aesthetic Philosophy. Presented at the Research Symposium, Sioux Falls, SD. (December 07, 2006)