I conduct a variety of research projects related to sedimentology & geomorphology.
My expertise is in the generation, transport and deposition of dust.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Bolles, Kasey, Sweeney, Mark, and Forman, Steven. Meteorological catalysts of dust events and particle source dynamics of affected soils
during the 1930s Dust Bowl drought, Southern High Plains, USA, 23. Vol. 27. Anthropocene, 2019. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ancene.2019.100216)
- Sweeney, Mark, Fischer, Ben, Wermers, Karen, and Cowman, Tim. Eolian and fluvial modification of Missouri River sandbars deposited by the 2011 flood, 111-125. Vol. 327. Geomorphology, 2019.
- Lechler, Alex, Huntington, Kate, Breecker, Dan, Sweeney, Mark, and Schauer, A.J.. Loess- paleosol carbonate clumped isotope record of late Pleistocene-Holocene climate
change in the Palouse region, Washington State, USA, 331-347. Vol. 90. Quaternary Research, 2018. (DOI: 10.1017/qua.2018.47)
- McDonald, Eric, Adams, Ken, and Sweeney, Mark. Collaborative Project to Assess Regional Soil Dust Emission for Select Areas of the
SW USD Deserts, 82. US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, 2018.
- Jarchow, Meghann, Jennings, Ethan, Lynn, Kriston, Olvera, Selena, Seidel, Tyler, LaBelle, Aleisa, Kosola, Shelley, Austin, Shaylyn, Gray-Lobe, Geoffrey, Krasky, Rebecca, Ruiz, Sebastian, Vazquez Maestre, Bethany, Jordan, Brennan, Posthumus, David, Swanson, David, Kerby, Jacob, Wesner, Jeff, Dixon, Mark, Sweeney, Mark, Sayre, Matthew, and Rosenfeld, Silvana. A sustainable approach to environmental management, 54-57. Iss. 120. Research Features, 2017.
- Bolles, Kasey, Forman, Steve, and Sweeney, Mark. Eolian processes and heterogeneous dust emissivity during the 1930s Dust Bowl Drought
and implications for projected 21st century megadroughts, 1578-1588. Vol. 27, Iss. 10. The Holocene, 2017. (DOI: 10.117/0959683617702235)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Haiar, Joshua. Credible sources and science literacy: the role of social media. Vol. 7, Iss. 2. In the Trenches/ National Association of Geoscience Teachers, 2017.
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, Eric, and Gaylord, David. Generation of the Palouse loess: exploring th elinkages between glaciation, outburst
megafloods, and eolian deposition in Washington State. Vol. 49. Geological Society of America, 2017. (DOI: 10.1130/2017.0049)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Jarchow, Meghann. University of South Dakota - Sustainable Rivers: Integrating Earth Science and Sustainability
Across the Curriculum. In InTeGrate's Model Programs that bring an Earth-focus to the Undergraduate Classroom, edited by David Steer and Cailin Huyck Orr..
- Sweeney, Mark, Cowman, Tim, Dixon, Mark, and Wesner, Jeff. Characterization of the geomorphology, sediment sources, vegetation, and macroinvertebrate
diversity of the Lewis and Clark Lake delta, 54..
- Sweeney, Mark, Zlotnik, V, Joeckel, R M., and Stout, J. Dust emissions from the Yellow Lake playa-lunette system, West Texas, USA. In Journal of Arid Environments, 37-46. Vol. 133. Elsevier, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.aridenv.2016.05.007)
- King, Georgina, Pearce, Nicholas, Roberts, Helen, Smith, Victoria, Westgate, John, Gaylord, David, and Sweeney, Mark. Identification of a Kulshan caldera correlative tephra in the Palouse loess of Washington
State, northwest USA. In Quaternary Research, 232-241. Vol. 86. Elsevier, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.yqres.2016.06.004)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Jarchow, Meghann. Using the Missouri River to Integrate Science and Sustainability Across the Curriculum, 5-6. Vol. 6, Iss. 3. National Association of Geoscience Teachers In The Trenches, 2016.
- Baker, Victor, Bjornstad, Bruce, Gaylord, David, Smith, Gary, Meyer, Scott, Alho, Petteri, Breckenridge, Roy, Sweeney, Mark, and Zereda, Marek. Pleistocene megaflood landscapes of the Channeled Scabland. In Exploring the Geology of the Inland Northwest: Geological Society of America Field
Guide, edited by Lewis, R.S. and Schmidt, K.I., 1-73. Vol. 41. Geological Society of America, 2016. (DOI: 10.1120/2016.0041(01))
- Sweeney, Mark, Lu, Huayu, Cui, Mengchun, Mason, Joseph, Feng, Han, and Xu, Ziewei. Sand dunes as potential sources of dust in northern China. In Science China: Earth Science, 760-769. Vol. 59, Iss. 4. Springer, 2016. (DOI: 10.1007/s11430-015-5246-8)
- Ujvari, Gabor, Stevens, Thomas, Svensson, Anders, Klotzli, Urs, Manning, Christina, Nemeth, Tibor, Kovacs, Janos, Sweeney, Mark, Gocke, Martina, Wiesenberg, Guido, Markovic, Slobodon, and Zech, Michael. Two possible source regions for central Greenland last glacial dust. In Geophysical Research Letters, 10399-10408. Vol. 42, Iss. 23.. (DOI: 10.1002/2015GL066153)
- Cui, Mengchun, Lu, Huayu, Sweeney, Mark, Mason, Joseph, Feng, Han, and Xu, Ziewei. PM10 emission flux in the Tengger Desert and Mu Us sand field, northern China, measured
by PI-SWERL (in Chinese). In Chinese Science Bulletin, 1-10. Vol. 60.. (DOI: 10.1360/N972014-01157)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Mason, Joe. Mechanisms of dust emission from Pleistocene loess deposits, Nebraska, USA. Vol. 118. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 2013.
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, Eric, and Markley, Christopher. Alluvial sediment or playas: what is the dominant source of sand and silt in desert
soil Av horizons, southwest USA. Vol. 118. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 2013.
- Loope, David, Elder, Jim, and Sweeney, Mark. Downslope coarsening in aeolian grainflows of the Navajo Sandstone, 156-162. Vol. 265-266. Sedimentary Geology/ Elsevier, 2012.
- McDonald, Eric, Sweeney, Mark, and Busacca, Alan. Glacial outburst floods and loess sedimentation documented during oxygen isotope stage
4 on the Columbia Plateau, Washington State, 18-30. Vol. 45. Quaternary Science Reviews/ Elsevier, 2012.
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, and Etyemezian, V. Quantifying dust emissions from desert landforms, eastern Mojave Desert, USA, 21-34. Vol. 135. Geomorphology/Elsevier, 2011. (DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.07.022)
- King, James, Etyemezian, Vic, Sweeney, Mark, Buck, Brenda, and Nikolich, George. Dust emission variability at the Salton Sea, California, USA, 67-79. Vol. 3. Aeolian Research/ Elsevier, 2011. (DOI: 10.1016/j.aeolia.2001.03.005)
- Kavouras, I, Etyemezian, V, Nikolich, G, Gillies, J, Sweeney, Mark, Young, M, and Shafer, D. A new technique for characterizing the efficacy of fugitive dust suppressants, 603-612. Vol. 59. Journal of Air and Waste Management/Air and Waste Management Assoc, 2009.
- Sweeney, Mark, Etyemezian, V, Macpherson, T, Nickling, W, Gillies, J, Nikolich, G, and McDonald, E. Comparison of PI-SWERL with dust emission measurements from a straight-line field
wind tunnel. Vol. 113. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface/Americal Geophysical Union, 2008. (DOI: 10.1029/2007JF000830)
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, Etyemezian, V, Caldwell, T, Bacon, S, Baker, S, DuBois, D, and King, J. Assessment of potential playa and lake analogues to the Salton Sea in support of the
Programmatic Environmental Impact Report. In Prepared for the California Department of Water Resources, 60. Reno, NV: Desert Research Institute, 2007.
- Sweeney, Mark, Busacca, A J., and Gaylord, D R.. Eureka Flat: a long-term dust-production engine of the Palouse loess, Pacific Northwest,
USA, 76-96. Vol. 162-163. Quaternary International/Elsevier, 2007.
- Etyemezian, V, Nikolich, G, Ahonen, S, Pitchford, M, Sweeney, Mark, Purcell, R, Gillies, J, and Kuhns, H. The Portable In-Situ Wind Erosion Laboratory (PI-SWERL): A new method to measure PM10
windblown dust properties and potential for emissions, 3789-3796. Vol. 41. Atmospheric Environment/Elsevier, 2007.
- Etyemezian, V, Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, Caldwell, T, Gillies, J, Nikolich, G, and Xu, J. Measurement of windblown dust emission potential and soil characteristics at the Salton
Sea in support of the Programmatic Environmental Impact Report: Final Report.. In Prepared for the California Department of Water Resources, 177. Reno, NV: Desert Research Institute, 2006.
- Cui, Mengchun, Lu, Huayu, Wiggs, Giles, Etyemezian, Vic, Sweeney, Mark, and Xu, Zhiwei. Quantifying the effect of geomorphology on aeolian dust emission potential in northern
China. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. (DOI: 10.1002/esp.4714)