Dr. Fairholm is Professor of Public Administration with a joint appointment in the
Department of Political Science and the W.O. Farber Center for Civic Leadership at
USD. His academic and professional interests focus on public administration, leadership
theory and practice, and Constitutional governance. Dr. Fairholm's teaching and training
experience spans the public, private, non-profit, and university settings. Prior
to coming to USD, Dr. Fairholm was the Director of Leadership Studies and Development
at the Center for Excellence in Municipal Management (currently the Center for Excellence
in Public Leadership) and Instructor of Public Administration at The George Washington
University, where he continues to serve as a Senior Fellow. Dr. Fairholm worked in
the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), entering the federal service as a Presidential
Management Intern. After his appointment, he continued to work at DOE in the areas
of congressional, intergovernmental, international and public affairs and also in
the Department's science research and development division. Previous to DOE, he worked
in a software development firm focusing on grassroots political activity. His published
articles appear in leadership and public administration journals. He is the author,
with his father, of the book Understanding Leadership Perspectives: Theoretical and
Practical Applications (Springer). His latest book is entitled Putting Your Values
to Work: Becoming the Leader Others Want to Follow (Praeger).
Public Administration; Leadership Theory and Practice; Organizational Behavior and
Development, Constitutional Governance
Areas of special interest within the profession include: Leadership Development;
Public Administration Theory; Local Government; Executive Education / Public Management
and Leadership Capacity Building
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Fairholm, Matthew, Dzordzormenyoh, Michael K., and Binda, Godlove A.. Trust-Culture Leadership in Local Public Administrators' Work, 260-273. Vol. 14, Iss. 4. International Journal of Public Leadership, 2018. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPL-06-2018-0031)
- Fairholm, Matthew. Management Training Insights Emerging from Spiritual Concerns. In Marketing Initiatives for Sustainable Educational Developmen. Hershey, PA: IGI - Global, 2018.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Refinding Leadership in Refounding Public Administration, 699-724. Vol. 50, Iss. 5. Administration and Society, 2018. (DOI: DOI 10.1177/0095399718763163)
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Fairholm, Gilbert W.. Fear and Hate in Modern Organizations: Leadership Tactics to Counter Their Effects. In Corporate Social Irresponsibility: Individual Behaviors And Organizational Practices, edited by Agata Stachowicz-Stanusch and Gianluigi Mangia, 161-182. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2017.
- Fairholm, Matthew. The Work of Leadership: How to get people to choose to follow. Washignton, DC: Public Management, 2017.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Revitalizing the Spirit of Management Training, 1-18. Vol. 6, Iss. 1. IGI Global Publishers: International Journal of Technology and Educational Marketing, 2016.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Gronau, Taylor. Spiritual Leaderhip Perspectives in the Work of Public Administrators, 354-373. Vol. 12, Iss. 4. Journal of Management, Spirituality, and Religion, 2015. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14766086.2015.1060516)
- Fairholm, Matthew. Putting Your Values to Work: Becoming the Leader Others Want to Follow. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO Publishers, 2013.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Gronau, Taylor. Six Practical Reminders for Leading Policy Implementation. Public Management, 2013.
- Fairholm, Matthew, Skaff, Michelle, and Maffit, Joseph. Mighty Mo Flood, 1-2, 6. Vol. 35, Iss. 2. Washington, D.C,: PA Times, American Society for Public Administration, 2012.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Fairholm, Gilbert W.. Reinventing Management Training: How Spiritual Values Change the Practice of Modern
Management and of Managerial Education. Edited by Charles Wankel and Agata Stanusch. Hershey, PA: Handbook of Research on Teaching Ethics in Business and Management Education, IGI
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Dettrey, Bryan J.. Safety and Protection: Compilation of Survey Results in the Vermillion Community. Vermillion, SD: Vermillion Police Department, 2012.
- Nordyke, Shane, Anderson, William, Braunstein, Richard, Fairholm, Matthew, and Palmer, Daniel. A Non-traditional PhD Program in a Traditional World: A Story of Blended Strategies
and Students. Vol. 7, Iss. 3. Journal of Political Science Education, 2011.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Why Governance Isn't Concerned with Government Anymore. Edited by T. Brandsen and M. Holzer, 3-18. Newark, NJ: The Future of Governance: 5th Annual TransAtlantic Dialogue Proceedings, National
Center for Public Performance, 2010.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leadership and Organizational Strategy. Vol. 14, Iss. 1. The Innovation Journal: The Public Sector Innovation Journal, 2009.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Card, Michael. Perspectives of Strategic Thinking: From Controlling Chaos to Embracing It, Article 2. Vol. 15, Iss. 1. Journal of Management & Organization, 2009.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Fairholm, Gilbert W.. Understanding Leadership Perspectives: Theoretical and Practical Approaches. New York: Springer Publishers, 2009.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Trans-Leadership: Linking Influential Theory and Contemporary Research. Armonk, New York: Transforming Public Leadership for the 21st Century, M.E. Sharpe Publishers, 2008.
- Fairholm, Matthew, and Card, Michael. What MPAs Tell Us They Value After They Leave Us, 6-7. Vol. 30, Iss. 10. American Society for Public Administration: PA Times, Education Supplement, 2007.
- Fairholm, Matthew. I Know It When I See It: Leadership in Local Government, 10-15. Vol. 88, Iss. 9. Public Management, 2006.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leadership Theory and Practice in the MPA Curriculum: Reasons and Methods, 335-346. Vol. 12, Iss. 3. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 2006.
- Fairholm, Matthew. A New Sciences Outline for Leadership Development, 369-383. Vol. 25, Iss. 4. Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, 2004.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Different Perspectives in the Practice of Leadership, 577-590. Vol. 64, Iss. 5. Public Administration Review, 2004.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leading from the Middle: The Power and Influence of Middle Leaders, 17-22. Vol. 30, Iss. 4. The Public Manager, 2004.
- Fairholm, Matthew, Moe, Kari J., Houghtby-Haddon, Natalie K., and Feldman, Lisa B.. Lessons Learned: Assessing the District of Columbia's Certified Public Management
Program, 335-362. Vol. 28, Iss. 3. Public Administration Quarterly, 2004.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leading with Spirit in Public Organizations, 4. Vol. 26, Iss. 11. American Society for Public Administration: PA Times, 2003.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Defining Leadership: A Review of Past, Present, and Future Ideas. Washington, DC: Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2002.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Integrated Leadership Development Trajectory: Concept and Practice. Washington, DC: Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2002.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Sidebars, Squirms, and Subtle Distracters: Leadership in a Volunteer Steering Committee. Washington, DC.: Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2002.
- Fairholm, Matthew. The Four V's of Leadership. Washington, DC.: Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2001.
- Fairholm, Matthew. The Themes and Theory of Leadership: James MacGregor Burns and Moral Leadership.. Washington, DC.: Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2001.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leadership Amid the Constraints of Trust, 102-109. Vol. 21, Iss. 2. Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, 2000.
- Fairholm, Matthew. Leadership Principles and Technologies: The Philosophy of Leadership Informed by the
Science of Complexity, Chaos, and Quantum Physics. Washington, DC. : Center for Excellence in Municipal Management, 2000.
- Fairholm, Matthew, Kelly, Rita Mae, Joseph, Alma, Rosenbloom, David, Mayor, Bruce, Roberts, Steve, and . What's Wrong and What Should Be Done: Comments on the Case Study, 230-239. Vol. 23, Iss. 2. Public Productivity Management Review, 1999. (DOI: 10.2307/3380781)
- Fairholm, Matthew. "Blows and the Blues Mixed:" Jazz and the African-American Identity, 7-10. Iss. Winter. Provo, UT: Insight: Views from the Margin, 1992.