Professor of Criminal Justice
Dakota Hall 120
Phone: (605) 677-5242
- S.J.D., Law, University of Virginia, 1981
- LLM, Law, University of Virginia, 1976
- JD, Law, University of South Dakota, 1974
- BA, Psychology, St. John's University, 1970
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Roche, Michael. When the Iron Eagle Flies. In Public Affairs. Public Affairs, 2002.
- Roche, Michael. A Pedagogy of Compassion and Hope. In South Dakota Law Review, 105-129. Vol. 45. South Dakota Law Review, 2000.
- Roche, Michael, and Rohr, Richard. Education and Soul-Making: Are We Killing or Nourishing the Spirit. In Grace in Action, 1-195. Grace in Action, Crossroad Publishing Company, 1994.
- Roche, Michael, and Rohr, Richard. Professionalism and Violence. In Grace in Action, 1-195. Grace in Action, Crossroad Publishing Company, 1994.
- Roche, Michael. The Undergraduate Experience and Community Service: Education as Transformation. In Understanding Undergraduate Education, 69-76. Understanding Undergraduate Education, University of South Dakota Press, 1990.
- Roche, Michael. Reflections on Why I Need to Teach in the Big House. In Legal Studies Forum, 211-220. Vol. 12. Legal Studies Forum, 1988.
- Roche, Michael. Childhood and Its Environment: The Implications For Children's Rights. In Loyola Law Review, 5-34. Vol. 34. Loyola Law Review, 1988.
- Roche, Michael. Police Disposition of Juvenile Cases in South Dakota. In The Juvenile Justice Process. Iss. 3. The Juvenile Justice Process, Foundation Press, 1985.
- Roche, Michael. Rural Police and Rural Youth, 1-215. University Press of Virginia, 1985.
- Roche, Michael, Dahlin, Donald, and Spader, Dean. Rural Crime Prevention in South Dakota. University of South Dakota: Governmental Research Bureau, 1982.
- Roche, Michael. The Role of the Police in the Disposition of Juvenile Cases in South Dakota. In South Dakota Statistical Analysis Center monograph, 1-140. South Dakota Statistical Analysis Center monograph, 1978.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding USD Professor, Interfraternity/Panhellenic Councils, 2014
- Nominee Belbas-Larson Award, USD Academic Affairs, 2014
- Faculty Member of the Year, presented for dedication and excellence in teaching for the Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice, The Political Science League, 2011
- Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota, 2007
- Dedication to Dr. Michael P. Roche, South Dakota Law Review, 2006
- O'Gorman-Cathedral Hall of Fame Inductee in Recognition of Outstanding Contributions in Service, 2004
- South Dakota Professor of the Year, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2001
- Golden Key National Honor Society in Recognition of Outstanding Achievement and Service, University of South Dakota Chapter, 1999
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of South Dakota Student Association, 1998
- Mortar Board Professor of the Month, 1996
- Governor's Award For Employee Excellence in Public Service, 1991
- Satnan-Canary Award, Presented to one person each year in recognition of service and life-time achievement, South Dakota Corrections Association, 1991
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of South Dakota Student Association, 1990
- Burlington Northern Foundation Faculty Achievement Award, presented for significant and meritorious achievement in teaching, 1988
- Omicron Delta Kappa Honorary Society Inductee, Awarded in recognition of conspicuous attainments and service in collegiate activities, University of South Dakota Chapter, 1981
- Distinguished Criminal Justice Faculty Award, presented by vote of criminal justice sutdents, University of South Dakota, 1980
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of South Dakota Student Association, 1977
- Roche, Michael.