Pardee Estee Laboratory 316
Phone: (605) 677-5693
1. Analytical Chemistry courses 2. Introductory chemistry courses 3. Secondary math and science teacher enhancement courses 4. Electrochemistry courses 5. Organic chemistry courses
Electrochemistry in general. Bioanalytical chemistry involving electrochemistry and liquid chromatography Liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry
- Ph D, Analytical Chemistry, University of North Dakota, 1985
- BA, majored in Chemistry and Mathematics, Mayville State College (now Mayville State University), 1979
- REU Site: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Supporting. (2018 - 2021)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates: Undergraduate Research in Fluorine Chemistry, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Supporting. (2018 - 2020)
- Center for Functional Fluorinated Materials (CFFM), Governor's Research Center. Grant Role: Supporting. (2017 - 2023)
- South Dakota Science and Mathematics Teacher Enhancement: Integrating Math and Science and Using Topical Issues in Science Instruction, SD Board of Regents and US Dept of Education. Grant Role: Principal. (2011 - 2012)
- Science and Mathematics Instruction In Context for South Dakota in the 21st Century, SD Board of Regents and US Dept of Education. Grant Role: Principal. (2010 - 2011)
- Science and Mathematics Instruction for South Dakota in the 21st Century, SD Board of Regents and US Depart of Education. Grant Role: Principal. (2009 - 2010)
- Acquisition of a Liquid Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer: Increasing Research Capability in the Area of Light Activated Materials, National Science Foundation. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2006 - 2009)
- 2004 MCF Undergraduate Research Award, Minnesota Chromatography Forum. Grant Role: Principal. (2004 - 2005)
- Undergraduate Research Stipend for Garrett Cox, SD EPSCoR. Grant Role: Principal. (2003 - 2003)
- Undergraduate Research Stipend for Angela Jockheck, SD EPSCoR. Grant Role: Principal. (2002 - 2002)
- A Study on the Function of Maize Chloroplast Protein Synthesis Elongation Factor EF-Tu in Relation to Heat Tolerance, Joseph R. Nelson and Martha P. Nelson Endowment Fund. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (2001 - 2002)
- Travel Grant to attend Gordon Research Confernce on Diamond Synthesis, USD Office of Research Travel Grant. Grant Role: Principal. (2000 - 2000)
- Computer Upgrade and Networking of Multi-User Spectroscopic Instrumentation, NSF CRIF. Grant Role: Principal. (1997 - 1998)
- Creating New Undergraduate Research Mentors at the University of South Dakota, USD Bush Mini-Grant Program. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (1996 - 1996)
- Strategies for Microscopic Surface Derivatization, NSF EPSCoR. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (1995 - 1997)
- Incorporating Fourier Transform Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in the Undergraduate Laboratory Curriculum, University of South Dakota Faculty Development Grant. Grant Role: Principal. (1993 - 1994)
- Electrode Microstructure-Activity Relationships, NSF EPSCoR. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (1991 - 1994)
- Precollege Science Outreach Programs: Chemists Visit Kids and Not So Late Night Chemistry with USD, Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation Special Grant Program in the Chemical Sciences. Grant Role: Principal. (1991 - 1992)
- Fourth Annual Graduate Sciences Research Forum Keynote Speaker: Ralph Adams, USD Visiting Scholar Program. Grant Role: Principal. (1991 - 1991)
- Attendance at the 1990 Spring Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, Massachusetts, USD Faculty Development Grant. Grant Role: Principal. (1990 - 1990)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates, NSF ESPSCoR. Grant Role: Principal. (1990 - 1990)
- Novel Electrochemical Analysis Schemes for Amino Acids and Peptides, NSF EPSCoR. Grant Role: Principal. (1989 - 1991)
- Electrochemical Analysis Schemes for Amino Acids and Peptides, Research Corporation. Grant Role: Principal. (1989 - 1989)
- Tagging with Ferrocene for LCEC Analysis of Amino Acids, Minnesota Chromatography Forum. Grant Role: Supporting. (1989 - 1989)
- The New Dialogue with Nature and the Crisis in China, South Dakota Council on the Humanities. Grant Role: Principal. (1989 - 1989)
- Novel Bioanalysis Schemes with Electrochemistry, University of South Dakota. Grant Role: Principal. (1988 - 1989)
- Purchase of a GC-MS for use in the Chemistry Undergraduate Laboratories, NSF. Grant Role: Co-Principal. (1988 - 1989)
- ACS Short Course, Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, Bush Foundation. Grant Role: Principal. (1988 - 1988)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Sun, Haoran, BaniKhaled, Mohammad O., Becker, John D., and Koppang, Miles. Perfluoroalkylation of square-planar transition metal complexes: a strategy assemble them into solid state materials with pi - pi stacked lamellar structure, 1869-1878. Vol. 16, Iss. 4. Crystal Growth & Design, 2016. (DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.5b01291)
- Witek, Ma?gorzata Witek, Koppang, Miles, and Swain*, Greg M.. Aliphatic Polyamine Oxidation Reaction Mechanism at Boron-Doped Microcrystalline and Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Electrodes, 151-160. Vol. 28, Iss. 1. Electroanalysis (Special Issue on Nanocarbon Materials in Electroanalysis), 2016. (DOI: 10.1002/elan.201500563)
- Erk, Adam, Mottishaw, Jeff, Kramer, Jordan, Sun, Haoran, and Koppang, Miles. Using ESP Maps to visualize chemical reactivity in Sanger's reagent, 1846-1852. Vol. 92, Iss. 11. Journal of Chemical Education, 2015. (DOI: 10.1021/ed5006344)
- Mei, Dongming, Yin, Z.-B., Spaans, Jason, Koppang, Miles, Hime, A., Keller, Christina, and Gehman, V. M.. Predication of Underground Argon Content for Dark Matter Experiments, 055802. Vol. 81. Physics Review C, 2010.
- Koppang, Miles, Meyer, Justin, Hoefelmeyer, James, Riley, Lynn, Berry, Mary, and DeWitt, Krisma. Integrating authentic research on ionic liquids into the general chemistry laboratory at a small liberal arts college and a public university. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 414-414. Vol. 233..
- Koppang, Miles, Russell, Jason D., John, Dolphin M., and . Selective Analysis of Secondary Amino Acids in Gelatin Using Pulsed Electrochemical Detection, 6615-6621. Vol. 79. American Chemical Society: Analytical Chemistry, 2007.
- Sereda, Grigoriy, Van Heukelom,, Jesse, Koppang, Miles, Ramreddy, Sudha, and Collins, Nicole. Effect of transannular interaction on the redox-potentials in a series of bicyclic quinones. Vol. 2. Frankfurt on Main: Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry, No. 26. / Beilstein Institute, 2006.
- Koppang, Miles, and Williams, Ceilia K.. Selective Analysis of Secondary Amines using Liquid Chromatography with Electrochemical Detection (LC-EC). Edited by Joe Wang, 2121-2127. Vol. 18, Iss. 21. Wiley Publishing: Electroanalysis, 2006.
- Swain, Greg M., Granger, Michael C., Witek, Malgorzata, Xu, Jishou, Wang, Jian, Hupert, Mateusz, Hanks, Amy, Koppang, Miles, Butler, James E., Lucazeau, Guy, Mermoux, Michel, and Strojek, Jerzy W.. Standard Electrochemical Behavior of High Quality, Boron-Doped Polycrystalline Diamon Thin Film Electrodes, 3793-3804. Vol. 72. American Chemical Society: Analytical Chemistry, 2000.
- Koppang, Miles, Swain, Greg M., Witek, Malgorzaata, and Blau, John. Electrochemical Oxidation of Polyamines at Diamond Thin-Film Electrodes, 1188-1195. Vol. 71. American Chemical Society: Analytical Chemistry, 1999.
- Swain, Greg M., Jolly, Sharlene, Koppang, Miles, and Jackson, Tom. Flow Injection Analysis with Diamond Thin-Film Detectors, 4099-4107. Vol. 69. American Chemical Society: Analytical Chemistry, 1997.
Awards and Honors:
- Annual Alumni Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of North Dakota, 1999
- Outstanding graduate research award, University of North Dakota Sigma Xi Chapter, 1985
- Graduate Analytical Fellowship Honorable Mention, Analytical Division of the American Chemical Society, 1984
- Alumni Association Prize for Graduate Achievement, University of North Dakota Alumni Association, 1983
- Wilsom, Tanner J., Jiang, Chaoyang, Koppang, Miles. Catalytic oxidation of alcohol using electrochemically deposited cuprous oxide crystals. Presented at the 53rd ACS MidWest Regional Meeting, Ames, IA. (October 21, 2018)
- Koppang, Miles, Balasingham, Miththira. ELECTROCHEMICAL REDUCTION OF AROMATIC NITRO COMPOUNDS: STRATEGIES FOR LC-EC ANALYSIS OF SANGER TAGGED ANALYTES. Presented at the Minnesota Chromatography Forum, Minneapolis, MN. (May 2018)
- Koppang, Miles. Chemical education: To infinity and beyond. Presented at the George C. Pimentel Award in Chemical Education: Symposium to honor Thomas A. Holme, San Francisco. (April 4, 2017)
- Guerrero, Paulina, , John B., Sun, Haoran, Koppang, Miles. Electrochemical reduction of aromatic nitro compounds: Strategies for LC-EC analysis of Sanger tagged analytes. Presented at the 251st ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Diego, CA. (March 2016)
- Sun, Jingyi, Sun, Haoran, Koppang, Miles, Putta, Anjaneyulu, Wang, Zhihua. Electrochemical polymerization of dithienophenazine derivatives:. Presented at the 248th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA. (August 2014)
- Kramer, Jordan H., Erck, Adam R., Koppang, Miles, Sun, Haoran, Putta, Anji, Mottishaw, Jeff D.. Ferrocene tagging of amines: An alternative approach using haloferrocenes. Presented at the 48th Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Springfield, MO. (October 16, 2013)
- Kramer, Jordan, Dawson, Jacob, Mottishaw, Wendi, Mahran, Khaled, Sereda, Grigoriy, Koppang, Miles, . Electrochemical analysis of hydroquinone functionalized silica nanoparticles MWRM-231. Presented at the 47th Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Omaha, NE. (October 24, 2012)
- Koppang, Miles, Larson, Andrew. Electrochemical investigation of 4-fluoroanisole. Presented at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Weber State University, Ogden, Utah. (March 29, 2012)
- Koppang, Miles, Schelble, Susan. "Undergraduate chemistry program and student assessment with the DUCK (Diagnostic Undergraduate Chemical Knowledge) exams" presented in the Current Practice and Research Using ACS Exams Symposium. Presented at the 242nd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver Colorado. (August 31, 2011)
- Berry, Mary, Koppang, Miles. Development of student skills in the first two years of the chemistry curriculum. Presented at the Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Dallas, TX. (August 3, 2010)
- Ezrailson, Cathy, Keller, Christina, Koppang, Miles. A Partnership for the Master's of Natural Science: Combining Resources to Provide Content in Physics and Chemistry for High School Teachers. Presented at the Physics Teaching Education Coalition Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. (March 10, 2009)