I was born and raised in Missouri. I am the Coordinator of Dance Studies and teach the dance curriculum within the Musical Theatre Program and Dance Minor at the University of South Dakota. My family resides in Missouri.
Dance, Movement, fitness, habits of mind, liberal education, dual function of content, visible learning, cognitive apprenticeship, choreography, neuroscience of learning, and tensegrity and fascial fitness in the training of dancers.
Script analysis, dance and movement theory, development of intellectual character, and pedagogies supporting the dual function of content as it promotes the development of habits of mind characteristic of life-long, and liberal learning
- Ph D, Theatre, University of Missouri, 2013
- Certification, Stott Pilates, 2000
- MA, Dance, The Ohio State University, 1983
- MA, Theatre, Central Missouri State University, 1976
- BS, Theatre and Speech, Missouri Western State University, 1975
Licensures and Certifications:
- Certification: Critical Response Process, Liz Lerman Dance Exchange
- Funding for guest choreographer Chet Walker, Center for Teaching and Learning USD. Grant Role: Principal. (2017 - 2018)
- Funding for guest artist Chet Walker, Center for Teaching and Learning USD. (2014 - 2014)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Downey, Patricia. An Exploratory and Descriptive Inquiry into the Relationship between the Goals of General Education and the Disciplinary Content in Acting for Non-majors coourses in Colleges and Universities in the United States...
Awards and Honors:
- Producer Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region V Professional Auditions and Technical Interviews, Kennedy Center American Collage Theatre Festival, 2016
- Musical Theatre Intensive 2015, Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF), 2015
- Musical Theatre Intensive 2016, Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF), 2015
- Belbas Larson Award for Teaching Excellence, Nominated by student, 2014
- Chairperson, Council for Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, 2012
- Belbas Larson Award for Teaching Excellence, Nominated by department chair, 2009
- Downey, Patricia K.. Contextualizing the artisitic work of Bob Fosse. Presented at the Musical Theatre History, Columbia, MO. (March 2019)
- Downey, Patricia. "Ballroom to Broadaway". Presented at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) Region V 44th Festival, Ames, Iowa. (January 19, 2012)