Ranelle earned her master's degree at the University of South Dakota and a PhD in
occupational therapy through Texas Woman's University. The focus of her dissertation
was in the area of telehealth use for clients with dementia and their caregivers to
receive occupational therapy services at home. Her primary areas of clinical practice
include skilled nursing facility, acute care, sub-acute care, and inpatient rehabilitation.
Fieldwork, Research, and Mental health
OT role in Dementia care, Fieldwork Education
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Nissen, Ranelle, and Serwe, Katrina M.. Occupational Therapy Telehealth Applications for the Dementia-Caregiver Dyad: A Scoping
Review, 366-379. Vol. 36, Iss. 4. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 2018. (DOI: 10.1080/02703181.2018.1536095)
- Nissen, Ranelle, Hersch, Gayle, Tietze, Mari, and Chang, Pei-Fen. Persons with Dementia and Their Caregivers' Perceptions About Occupational Therapy
and Telehealth: A Qualitative Study. Vol. 36, Iss. 6. Home Healthcare Now, 2018.
- Naber, Allison, Berg-Poppe, Patti, Lucas Molitor, Whitney, MacCabe, Angela, and Nissen, Ranelle. USD Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Service Learning. In Heathcare Workforce Collaborative..
- Lucas Molitor, Whitney, and Nissen, Ranelle. Clinician, educator, and student perceptions of entry-level academic degree requirements
in occupational therapy education, 23. Vol. 2, Iss. 1. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 2018. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.26681/jote.2018.020102)
- Berg-Poppe, Patti, Karges, Joy, Nissen, Ranelle, Deutsch, Susan, and Webster, Kendra. Relationship between Occupational and Physical Therapist Students' Belongingness and
Perceived Competence in the Clinic Using the Ascent to Competence Scale. Vol. 1, Iss. 3. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 2017. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.26681/jote.2017.010303)
- Nissen, Ranelle, and Brockevelt, Barbara. The Effect of Education on Student Perceptions about Telehealth, 5-10. Vol. 4, Iss. 4. International Journal of Health Sciences , 2016.
- Nissen, Ranelle. Delivering Occupational Therapy Services Through Telehealth to Older Adults: Current
Considerations, 20-22. Vol. 1, Iss. 4. Bethesda, MD: SIS Quarterly Practice Connections, 2016.
- Ikiugu, Moses, and Nissen, Ranelle. Intervention strategies used by occupational therapists working in mental health and
their theoretical basis. Edited by Marie-Louise F. Blount, 109-129. Vol. 32, Iss. 2. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 2016. (DOI: 10.1080/0164212X.2015.1127192)
- Ikiugu, Moses, Westerfield, Madeline, Lien, Jamie, Cerny, Shana, and Nissen, Ranelle. Empowering People to Change Occupational Behaviours to Address Critical Global Issues. Edited by Helen J. Polatajko. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2015. (DOI: 10.1177/0008417414567529)
- Ikiugu, Moses, and Nissen, Ranelle. Pragmatism: A Transactional Perspective of Occupational Therapy. In Philosophical Foundations for Occupational Therapy Education, Research, and Practice. Thorofare, New Jersey: Slack.
- Nissen, Ranelle. Telehealth. In Occupational Therapy in Community-Based and Population Health Practice. Iss. 3rd. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis.
- Nissen, Ranelle. Best Practice Considerations for the use of Telehealth to Deliver Occupational Therapy
Services to Older Adult Clients. Hoffman Estates, IL: OnCourse Learning.
- Ikiugu, Moses, Nissen, Ranelle, Bellar, Cali, Maassen, Alexya, and Van Peursem, Katie. Clinical Effectiveness of Occupational Therapy in Mental Health: A Meta-Analysis. Edited by Lorie Richards. Bethesda, Maryland: American Journal of Occupational Therapy.