An acclaimed performer and teacher, Susan Keith Gray is a member of the Rawlins Piano Trio and the Kobayashi/Gray Duo. She teaches piano and pedagogy and is the Director of the Master of Music in Collaborative Piano.
Piano, Collaborative Piano, Injury-Preventive Piano Technique, Piano Pedagogy
Collaborative Piano, Injury-Preventive Piano Technique, Music of Women Composers, Piano Performance, Piano Pedagogy,
- Certificate Program, Well-Coordinated, Injury-Preventive Piano Technique, Salem College, 2018
- DMA, Piano Performance: Chamber Music and Accompanying, The University of Michigan, 1990
- Master of Music, Piano Performance, The University of Illinois, 1981
- Bachelor of Music, Piano Performance, Converse College, 1979
Licensures and Certifications:
- Professional Certification, Music Teachers National Association
- Touring Arts Roster, Rawlins Piano Trio, South Dakota Arts Council. Grant Role: Principal. (2014 - 2016)
- CTL Teaching Improvement Grant, College of Fine Arts. Grant Role: Principal. (2013 - 2013)
- Touring Arts Roster, Rawlins Piano Trio, South Dakota Arts Council. Grant Role: Principal. (2012 - 2014)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Gray, Susan. Elegy for Violin and Piano. In Poem: Music of Kathryn Mishell, edited by Kathryn Mishell. Austin, TX: Pierian Recording Society, 2014.
- Gray, Susan. Attracting Opposites. In Attracting Opposites. Cleveland, OH: Azica Records, distributed by Naxos, 2013.
Awards and Honors:
- 2021 Music Teachers National Association Foundation Fellow, South Dakota Music Teachers Association, 2021
- 2014-2016 Wayne and Esther Knutson Distinguished Professor, College of Fine Arts/Wayne Knutson, 2014
- Nomination, Knutson Distinguished Professor, 2012
- Annual Research Award Nomination, USD Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, 2010
- Belbas Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Gray, Susan K.. Music for Violin and Piano by Women Composers in the Time of Rebecca Clarke's Midsummer Moon (1923). Presented at the 2nd International Conference of Women's Work in Music, Bangor, Wales, UK. (September 6, 2019)
- Gray, Susan K.. Music of Jake Heggie, Amy Beach and Clara Schumann. Presented at the Untold Stories: Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Research Conference, Vermillion, SD. (March 14, 2019)
- Gray, Susan K.. Recital performance of works by 3 women composers. Presented at the Women in Music Festival, Columbus, MS. (March 8, 2019)
- Gray, Susan. Lecture-Recital: Romanian Dances (in the style of Bartók) for Violin and Piano by Hilda Jerea. Presented at the Women in Music Festival, Columbus, MS. (March 7, 2019)
- Gray, Susan K.. (Lecture-Recital) Hidden Treasures: Music by Women Composers for Violin and Piano. Presented at the First International Conference on Women's Work in Music, Wales, UK. (September 6, 2017)
- Gray, Susan, Kim, Eunho, Gagnon, MarieElaine. Voicing and Balance for One or More Players. Presented at the Central Minnesota Music Teachers Association monthly meeting, Willmar, Minnesota. (September 10, 2011)
- Gray, Susan.
- Gray, Susan, Kim, Eunho, Gagnon, MarieElaine. Artist Showcase. Presented at the National Conference, New York City. (January 14, 2010)