Delzell Education Center 201C
Phone: (605) 677-5808
Adult learning, instructional design, organization development, change management, training & development, adult development, Honors dreams course
Third Age (age 50-75)
- Ph D, Instructional Technology, University of Virginia, 2001
- MA, Human Resources Development, Marymount University, 1991
- BA, Psychology, State University of New York at Potsdam, 1977
Licensures and Certifications:
- Licensed Third Age Professional, Third Age Partners
- 2012 CTL Teaching Improvement Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning. (2012 - 2012)
- 2011 CTL Teaching Improvement Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning. (2011 - 2011)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Santo, Susan. Book Review of Teaching and Learning at a Distance. Edited by Michael Moore, 201-204. Vol. 25, Iss. 3. American Journal of Distance Education, 2011.
- Santo, Susan, Engstrom, Mary E., Reetz, Linda, Schweinle, William, and Reed, Kristine. Faculty productivity: Barriers and supports at a school of education. Edited by Libby V. Morris, 117-129. Vol. 34, Iss. 2. Innovative Higher Education , 2009.
- Santo, Susan. Teaching in Second Life. In Proceedings, Great Plains Conference on the Teaching of Psychology. University of South Dakota, 2008.
- Santo, Susan. Knowledge Building in an Online Cohort. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 2008.
- Santo, Susan. Transformation of Rural Teachers Earning Graduate Degrees by Distance. In DIAL's Interactive Learning Campus, edited by Doreen gosmire and Marilyn Grady. Dakota Interactive Academic Link, 2008.
- Santo, Susan. Teaching an Honors Course: Science Fiction Perspectives on Technology and Society. Edited by Tim Twohill, 43-56. Vol. 25. Madison, WI: Humanities and Technology Review; Humanities & Technology Association, 2006.
- Santo, Susan. Relationships between Learning Styles and Online Learning: Myth or Reality?, 73-88. Vol. 19, Iss. 3. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL: Performance Improvement Quarterly; International Society for Performance Improvement, 2006.
- Santo, Susan. Knowledge Management: An Imperative for Schools of Education, 42-49. Vol. 49, Iss. 6. Bloomington, Indiana: TechTrends; Association for Educational Communications & Technology, 2005.
- Fleming, Brady, De Jong, David, Avoseh, Mejai Bola Mike, Santo, Susan, and von Fischer, Paul. The Relationship Between Superintendent Servant Leadership Behavior and Principal Job Satisfaction in Iowa. Edited by Dr. Kevin Hurt. Columbus, GA: Servant Leadership: Theory & Practice (SLTP).
Awards and Honors:
- School of Education Excellence in Teaching, 2015/16, USD School of Education, 2016
- Course Design Fellowship, Center for Teaching & Learning, 2013
- Nominated for Belbas-Larson Teaching Award, USD, 2011
- Santo, Susan. Appreciative Inquiry. Presented at the LERN Annual Conference, Savannah, Georgia. (November 8, 2018)
- Santo, Susan. Organization Development Strategies for Success. Presented at the LERN 2017 Conference, Portland, Oregon. (November 18, 2017)
- Santo, Susan A.. Helping Adult Learners to Thrive in Their Third Age. Presented at the American Association of Adult and Continuing Education, Charleston, North Carolina. (November 6, 2014)
- Santo, Susan. Issues related to faculty concerns regarding online teaching. Presented at the Annual Conference on the State of Higher Education, Washington, DC. (June 15, 2012)
- Santo, Susan. Teaching in Second Life about the Role of Technology in Society. Presented at the Teaching, Colleges, and Community (TCC) Worldwide OnlineConference, Virtual conference. (April 19, 2011)
- Santo, Susan. Tough Transitions. Presented at the Systems Change Conference, Chamberlain, SD. (October 13, 2010)
- Santo, Susan. Five Factor Personality Model and Distance Learning. Presented at the Great Plains Conference on Teaching of Psychology 2010, Vermillion, SD. (October 9, 2010)
- Santo, Susan. Presented at the Technology, Colleges, and Community Online, Virtual (Elluminate). (April 22, 2010)
- Santo, Susan. Second Life for Adult Learners and Higher Education. Presented at the AAACE International Conference 2009, Cleveland, OH. (November 3, 2009)
- Santo, Susan. Teaching in Second Life. Presented at the Great Plains Conference on the Teaching of Psychology, Vermillion, SD. (October 17, 2008)
- Santo, Susan, Carruthers, Cheryl. Knowledge building and learning community in an online Masters cohort. Presented at the Beyond Boundaries, Grand Forks. (October 4, 2007)
- Santo, Susan, Thompson, Ray H., Kimura, Bert Y.. Virtual conferences vs. face-to-face conferences: Why do we bother to travel to conferences although we're e-learning experts?. Presented at the E-Learn 2006: World Conference on E-Learning, Hawaii (we presented virtually). (October 2006)
- Santo, Susan, Jackson, Angela K.. Student and instructor viewpoints on using Moodle for an online course.. Presented at the Technology, Colleges, & Community 2006 Worldwide Online Conferece, Virtual (Elluminate). (April 2006)