School of Law 214
Phone: (605) 658-3515
Wendy Hess is an Associate Professor and Director of the Fundamental Legal Skills and Legal Writing Program. Her legal practice experience includes: directing the Prison Reform Project at the Public Justice Center, a non-profit law office in Baltimore, MD, where she also worked on educational access for children in foster care and enforcement of freedom of information laws; serving as the Francis Murnaghan Appellate Advocacy Fellow where she worked on poverty law and civil rights appellate cases in state and federal courts; and provision of civil legal services to prisoners and pretrial detainees in Central Pennsylvania with the Pennsylvania Institutional Law Project. She also completed two judicial clerkships, one for a judge on the Maryland Court of Appeals and the other for a judge on the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. Bar Admissions: South Dakota, Maryland, Washington DC
Legal Skills, Client Interviewing & Counseling, Legal Writing, Juvenile Justice, Psychology & Law, Employment Discrimination, Gender & the Law
Law Teaching Methods & Practices, Juvenile Transfer, Feminist Legal Theory
- JD, Law, University of Denver College of Law, 1998
- BA, Psychology; Government & Politics, University of Maryland, 1995
Licensures and Certifications:
- South Dakota Bar Membership
- Mediation, Phoenix School of Law
- Maryland Bar Membership (inactive), MD Bar
- DC Bar Membership (inactive), DC Bar
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Hess, Wendy. Addressing Sexual Harassment in the Legal Profession: The Opportunity to Use Model Rule 8.4(g) to Protect Women from Harassment, 96 U. Det. Mercy L. Rev. 579 (2019)..
- Hess, Wendy. Emily Verhine, South Dakota's Data-Driven, Evidence-Based Juvenile Justice Reform, 62 S.D. L. Rev. 579 (2017)..
- Hess, Wendy. Slut-Shaming in the Workplace: Sexual Rumors & Hostile Environment Claims, 40 NYU Rev. L. & Soc. Change 581 (2016)..
- Hess, Wendy. Workplace Rumors About Women's Sexual Promiscuity as Gender-Based Insults Under Title VII, 31 ABA J. Lab. & Emp't L. 447 (2016)..
- Hess, Wendy. Kids Can Change: Reforming South Dakota's Juvenile Transfer Law to Rehabilitate Children and Protect Public Safety, 59 S.D. L. Rev. 312 (2014)..
- Hess, Wendy. Just Kids: Baltimore's Youth in the Adult Criminal Justice System, Just Kids Partnership (2010)..