Phone: (605) 677-5218
Zoli Filotas is assistant professor of philosophy at the University of South Dakota. His research concerns slavery, marriage, and other hierarchical relationships in ancient Greek philosophy.
Ancient philosophy, Social and political philosophy, Philosophy of Law, Ethics, Logic and Critical Thinking
Ancient Greek Ethics and Politics, Social and Political Philosophy
- Ph D, Philosophy, McGill University, 2015
- MA, Philosophy, Concordia University, 2007
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Music, Specialization Jazz Studies, Concordia University, 2001
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Filotas, Zoli. From Natural Character to Moral Virtue in Aristotle, Mariska Leunissen. Durham, NC: Philosophical Review, 2019.
- Filotas, Zoli, and Lefebvre, David. Aristotle and the Hellenistic Peripatos: From Theoprastus to Critolaus. In Brill's Companion to the Reception of Aristotle in Antiquity, edited by Andrea Falcon, 13-34. Leiden: Brill , 2016.
- Filotas, Zoli, and Dorandi, Tiziano. The Ancient Biographical Tradition on Aristotle. In Brill's Companion to the Reception of Aristotle in Antiquity, edited by Andrea Falcon, 277-298. Leiden: Brill, 2016.
- Filotas, Zoli. Politique d'Aristote, Emmanel Bermon et al.. Vol. 30, Iss. 1. Polis, 2013.
- Filotas, Zoli, and Pellegrin, Pierre. Natural Slavery. In The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle's Politics, edited by Marguerite Deslauriers, Pierre Destree, 92-116. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Filotas, Zoli. The Cambridge Companion to Montaigne, ed. Ulrich Langer. Vol. 29, Iss. 4. Teaching Philosophy, 2006.
- Filotas, Zoli. Aristotle and The Ethics of Difference, Equality, and Friendship: The Pluralism of Rule. London: Bloomsbury.
- Filotas, Zoli. In Epistemology and Ethics in Plato and Ancient Platonism, edited by Mario Bonazzi, Fiippo Forcignano, Angela Ulacco, . Leiden: Brill.
- Filotas, Zoli, and Deslauriers, Marguerite. Aristotle's Human Beings. In The Human Being: A History (Oxford Philosophical Concepts), edited by Karolina Hübner. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Filotas, Zoli, and Lefebvre, David. Parts and Generation: The Prologue to the Generation of Animals and the Structure of the Treatise. In The Cambridge Critical Companion to Aristotle's Generation of Animals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Awards and Honors:
- Course Redesign Fellowship, USD Center for Teaching and Learning, 2018
- Curricular Transformation Grant, USD College of Arts and Sciences, 2017
- Filotas, Zoli. Interpersonal Causation in Aristotle's Theory of Rule. Presented at the 71st Annual Northwest Philosophy Conference, Forest Grove, OR. (October 26, 2019)
- Filotas, Zoli. Xenophon, the Political Roles of Women, and the Psychological Turn in Classical Philosophy. Presented at the Sex, Gender, and Science in Ancient Greece, Tampa, FL. (March 1, 2019)
- Filotas, Zoli. The Lessons of Cyrus in Xenophon's Oeconomicus. Presented at the Foreign Influences, Montreal, QC. (October 23, 2018)
- Filotas, Zoli. Aristotle's Human Beings. Presented at the Being Human: A History (Workshop for a volume in the Series Oxford Philosophical Concepts), University of Toronto. (June 10, 2017)
- Filotas, Zoli. Xenophon on Subordination, Trust, and the Art of Rule. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy, New York City. (October 29, 2016)
- Filotas, Zoli. Aristotle on Communities of Equals. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Indiana Philosophical Association, Richmond, IN. (November 15, 2015)
- Filotas, Zoli. Curiculum et strategies pedagogiques. Presented at the Congres Annuel, Societe Philosophique du Quebec, Rimouski, QC. (May 20, 2015)
- Filotas, Zoli. Rhetorique et commandement chez Aristote,. Presented at the 81e Congrès de l'Association francophone pour le savoir, Symposium de jeunes chercheurs en philosophie, Quebec, QC. (May 2013)
- Filotas, Zoli. Aristotle on Kinds of Community and Kinds of Rule. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy, New York, NY. (October 29, 2012)
- Filotas, Zoli. Aristotle on Authority, Responsibility, and the Kinds of Rule. Presented at the Workshop on Sexual Difference aristotle's Biology and Politics, Montreal QC. (September 2012)
- Filotas, Zoli. The Power of Violence but in a Different Form: Gorgias on Persuasion, Aristotle on Slavery and Rule. Presented at the Canadian Colloquium for Ancient Philosophy, Edmonton, AB. (May 2012)