Barry R. Vickrey is a tenured professor of the University of South Dakota School of Law. He served as dean of the Law School from 1993 to 2011. He received his B.A. and J.D. degrees from Vanderbilt University; as an undergraduate, he majored in history and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He is admitted to the practice of law in South Dakota (active) and Tennessee (inactive). Before becoming dean at USD, he was on the faculty of the University of North Dakota School of Law for eleven years. At USD, he teaches the required first-year course on property law and the required upper-level course on the legal profession, as well as upper-level elective courses on mediation and legislation. He is also in charge of the South Dakota Drafting & Legal Practice course, which he helped create while dean. Professor Vickrey represents the Law School in the University Senate. Prior to entering legal education, he was director of the Division of Professional Education at the American Bar Association and served as staff aide in the Policy Planning Office of the governor of Tennessee. He has held numerous positions in state and national professional associations, including membership on the ABA Standing Committee on Lawyer Competence for nine years. He is active in the ABA's Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar, for which he regularly chairs accreditation inspections at other law schools. He also chaired the ABA Section's Questionnaire Committee, which develops the questionnaires submitted by law schools as part of the accreditation process. Professor Vickrey is a board member of the Consensus Council, Inc., Bismarck, ND; the Vermillion United Way; and the Vermillion Center for Children and Families. He is active in the Vermillion United Church of Christ-Congregational, where he teaches an adult Bible study class and serves as stewardship coordinator and moderator-elect. He has been married since 1971 to Mary Green Vickrey, a musician and music educator; they have two sons and two grandchildren.
The legal profession and legal ethics, legislation and legislative drafting, mediation, property law.
The ethics and history of the legal profession, specifically including the South Dakota Rules of Professional Conduct; legal education; Abraham Lincoln's legal career.
- JD, Law, Vanderbilt University, 1977
- BA, History, Vanderbilt University, 1971
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Vickrey, Barry. Understanding the Dean's Job. In Selected Commentary, 813. Vol. 31 Seattle, OR: Seattle University Law Review, 2008.
- Vickrey, Barry. Meeting in the Aisle: Lawyers as Legislative Leaders. Vol. 14, Iss. 1 Vermillion, SD: South Dakotan Lawyer, 2007.
- Vickrey, Barry. Are We Gatekeepers?. Vol. 34, Iss. 179 Toledo, OH: Toledo Law Review, 2003.
- Vickrey, Barry. Lessons in Leadership from Lincoln the Lawyer, 334. Vol. 45 Vermillion, SD: South Dakota Law Review, 2000.
- Vickrey, Barry. Technology Discussed at Communication Skills Program, 16. Syllabus, 1994.
- Vickrey, Barry. Law Schools, Bench, and Bar: A Needed Partnership for Lawyer Competence and Professionalism, 821. Vol. 21 Capital University Law Review, 1992.
- Am Jur Award, Administrative Law, Vanderbilt University School of Law
- Bennett Douglas Bell Memorial Prize, Vanderbilt University School of Law
- Dream Catcher Award, Martin Luther King Committee, University of South Dakota
- Editor, Legislative Research Bureau, Vanderbilt University School of Law
- John R. Williams Award, Native American Recruitment and Retention Committee, University of South Dakota
- Order of the Coif (elected as faculty member), University of North Dakota
- Vickrey, Barry, , Winston-Salem, NC. (June 2001)
- Vickrey, Barry, , Del Mar, CA. (March 2001)
- Vickrey, Barry, , Winston-Salem, NC. (June 1999)