Dr. Fischbach has been in nursing education with USD for the past 26 years. Her teaching experience includes teaching in both the traditional and online settings in both undergraduate and graduate nursing. She is a Certified Advance Care Planning Instructor and a member of the National League for Nursing and Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society Omega Beta Chapter.
Health systems leadership, health policy, and evidence-based practice.
Advance Care Planning and End-of-Life issues
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Doctor of Nursing Practice in Health Systems Leadership, Chamberlain College of Nursing, 2016
- MS, Nursing Education/Administration, University of Phoenix, 2005
- BS, Nursing, Mt. Marty College, 2001
- Diploma in Nursing, Nursing, Diploma Registered Nurse Sioux Valley Hospital School of Nursing, 1981
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification, American Red Cross
- CITI Training regarding Human Subjects Research, University of South Dakota
- End-of-Life Nursing Consortium (ELNEC) Trainer, City of Hope and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- First Steps ACP Instructor Certification, Respecting Choices Gundersen Heath Systems
- Certified First Steps Advance Care Planning Facilitator, Gundersen Heath Systems
- Registered Nurse Minnesota
- Registered Nurse South Dakota
- Advance Care Planning Sparks Quality Conversations about Palliative Care ECHO, Bush Foundation, (2020 - 2022)
- Lighting a SPARK (Serving Underserved Populations through Advance Care Planning, Respect and Knowledge) in South Dakota., Bush Foundation, (2017 - 2019)
- Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations, USD, (2016 - 2017)
- Breast Health Awareness for Young Women, $3,500 Grant - primary writer, Susan G. Komen Foundation, (2010 - 2011)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Best Practices, $1,900 Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning2011)
- Mobile Computing Initiative Best Practices, $2,800 Grant - one of two primary writers, Center for Teaching and Learning - USD2010)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Fischbach, Cheryl. South Dakota Palliative Care Grant Spotlight: The Palliative Care ECHO Project. Iss. 47 3708 W. Brooks Place Sioux Falls, SD 57106: South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations: Unified Voice, 2022.
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Hegge, Helene, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Kupershmidt, Sabina, and Kupershmidt, Sabina. Comparing the Efficacy of Interprofessional versus Single Profession Teams in Promoting Quality Conversations About Advance Care Planning . The Journal of Hospice and Pallitive Nursing, 2021.
- Kupershmidt, Sabina, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Abou Samra, Haifa, Penisten, Linda, and Dieter, Carla . Nurse Educators Establish and Evaluate Community Coalition to Promote Statewide Advance Care Planning Though RE-AIM., Editors Betty Rolling Ferrell, 305 - 311. Vol. 22, Iss. 4 Philadelphia, PA: Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 2020. (DOI: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000662)
- Brown, Robin, Falkingham, Eleanor, Cheryl, Fischbach, and Heidi, Schmidt. Meeting Nursing Shortage Needs Through Educational Partnerships: LPN to RN Under One Roof, 44-48. Vol. 18, Iss. 1 SAGE Publishing, 2005. (DOI: 10.1177/1084822305279607)
- Fischbach, Cheryl. Pharmacology For Headaches, Pharmacology For Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care. In Pharmacology For Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care, editors Kimberly Hooker. Vol. 1 Burr Ridge, Il: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Fischbach, Cheryl. Review of Table of Contents for new Edition Textbook. In Pharmacology for Nursing Practice: Partners in Therapeutic Care. , editors Kimberly Hooker. Burr Ridge, Illinois: McGraw-Hill.
- 2022 School of Health Science Outstanding Faculty Award for Distinguished Service , School of Health Science, 2022
- Excellence in Teaching, USD Nursing, 2020
- Student Nominated Award of Excellence in Caring - Honorable mention, USD Nursing Students, 2020
- Student Nominated Award of Excellence in Teaching - Honorable mention, USD Nursing Students, 2020
- #3 Ranked Online RN to BSN Program in South Dakota, Registered Nursing.org, 2020
- Nominated for Excellence in Spirit of Caring Award and Excellence in Service 2018, USD Nursing, 2018
- USD's Online RN to BSN Program top-rated in Dakotas, College Choice , 2017
- Nominated for Nursing Excellence Award 2011, USD Nursing, 2011
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society , Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society , 2005
- Nimely, George, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, and Pithan, Anne, Promoting Quality Conversations about Advance Care Planning in South Dakota through the Respecting Choices Model. Presented at the Southeastern SD Research Symposium, Sioux Falls. (June 15, 2022)
- Fischbach, Cheryl, Advance Care Planning- Next Steps?. Presented at the Giving Care, Taking Care Active Generations Conference, online. (November 19, 2020)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L., Nurse Educators Create Community Partnerships to Promote Advance Care Planning. Presented at the 2018 Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Conference, Grand Rapids, MI. (September 20, 2018)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L., The Elephant in the Room - Advance Care Planning in Long Term Care. Presented at the 41st Annual Research Conference, Minneaoplis, MN. (April 08, 2017)
- Dieter, Carla , Fischbach, Cheryl, Hegge, Helene, Kupershmidt, Sabina, Abou Samra, Haifa, and Bloom, Katherine, Advance Care Planning in South Dakota: Engaging Interprofessional Teams to Implement Quality Conversations. Presented at the 2016 International Rural Nursing Conference, Rapid City, SD. (July 19, 2016)
- Fischbach, Cheryl L., and Hegge, Helene, "Advance Care Planning". Presented at the South Dakota Nurses Association, Sioux Fall, SD. (May 12, 2016)