Professor Brazeal grew up in Kansas and studied English literature at Stanford University. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2010. After law school, Professor Brazeal served as a judicial clerk to Chief Justice Walter Carpeneti of the Alaska Supreme Court and Judge Shira Scheindlin of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. He also worked as a public defender in Seattle and as a Forrester Fellow at Tulane Law School. Professor Brazeal spent nine years in the U.S. Army Reserve as a Judge Advocate before resigning as a Major. He earned a PhD in English from Cornell University, writing a dissertation on narratives of criminality in American fiction about the Iraq War. He joined the USD Law faculty in 2020.
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, and Cyber Law
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Cyber Law, and Law & Humanities
- Ph D, English, Cornell University, 2020
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2010
- BA, English, Stanford University, 2001
- Licensed to Practice, State of South Dakota
- Licensed to Practice, State of Washington
- Licensed to Practice, State of New York
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Brazeal, Gregory. Markets as Legal Constructions, 91 U. Cin. L. Rev. 595 (2023).
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Legal Construction of Discriminatory Mass Surveillance, LPE Blog (2022).
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Politics of Crime Stories, New Rambler (2021).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Mass Seizure and Mass Search, 22 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 1001 (2020).
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Hero & the Victim: Narratives of Criminality in Iraq War Fiction, PhD Dissertation.
- Brazeal, Gregory. Law, War, and Four Modes of Conflict, 20 Or. Rev. Int'l L. 531 (2019) (reviewing Oona A. Hathaway & Scott J. Shapiro, The Internationalists (2018)).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Between Description & Prescription: Law, Wittgenstein, and Constituitonal Faith, 120 W. Va. L. Rev. 100 (2017).
- Brazeal, Gregory. A Machine Made of Words: Our Incompletely Theorized Constitution, 9 U.N.H. L. Rev. 425 (2011).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Bureaucracy and the U.S. Response to Mass Atrocity, 1 Nat'l Secur. & Armed Conflict L. Rev. 53 (2011).
- Brazeal, Gregory. How Much Does a Belief Cost?: Revisiting the Marketplace of Ideas, 21 S. Cal. Interdisc. L.J. 1 (2011).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Webs of Faith as a Source of Reasonable Disagreement, 23 Critical Rev. 421 (2011).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Against Gridlock: The Viability of Interest-Based Legislative Negotiation, 3 Harv. L. & Pol'y Rev. Online (2009).
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Supreme Fiction: Fiction or Fact?, 31 J. Modern Literature 80 (2007).
- Brazeal, Gregory. Wallace Stevens' Philosophical Evasions, 31 Wallace Stevens. J. 27 (2007).
- Brazeal, Gregory. The Alleged Pragmatism of T.S. Eliot, 30 Phil. & Literature 248 (2006).
- Brazeal, Gregory, Justice Theater in the Criminal Law Curriculum. Presented at the CrimFest, Brooklyn, New York. (July 17, 2023)