I am from Taiwan, an island country in East Asia. To learn advanced knowledge about assistive technology, I came to the US in 2006. My previous work experience included pediatric outpatient care at a rehab clinic and medical center in Taiwan, research planning and execution on topics related to wheelchair usage and design at the University of Pittsburgh, and early intervention services in Massachusetts. I am a native Mandarin and Taiwanese speaker and enjoy exploring computer software and applications, watching documentaries and crime TV dramas, traveling to different countries with my husband and son, and watching body movement performances, like dance, martial arts, and sports.
I am interested in how human beings interact with technology and would like to devote my effort to studying user satisfaction and training on using assistive technology and wheelchairs, the impact of early Intervention of assistive mobility devices for children, and promoting knowledge translation to empowering health service consumers and wheelchair users.
- DPT, Physical Therapy, Northeastern University, 2020
- Ph D, Rehabilitation Science and Technology, University of Pittsburgh, 2013
- MS, Rehabilitation Science and Technology, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- BS, Physical Therapy, National Taiwan University, 2001
- Advanced Credentialed Clinical Instructor, The American Physical Therapy Association
- Physical Therapist License- Iowa, Iowa Department of Public Health
- Physical Therapist License- South Dakota, South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners
- Physical Therapist License- Massachusetts, Massachusetts Board of Allied Health Professionals
- Assistive Technology Professional (ATP), Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America
- Physical Therapist License- New York, University of the State of New York - New York State Education Department
- Physical Therapist License- Taiwan, Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Chia, Rui-Min, Setiawan, I I., Crytzer, Theresa T., and Ding, Dan. Development of "My Wheelchair Guide" app: a qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 2018.
- Wu, Yu-Kuang, Liu, Hsin-yi, Kelleher, Annmarie, Pearlman, Jonathan, and Cooper, Rory R.. Evaluating the usability of a smartphone virtual seating coach application for powered wheelchair users, 569-575. Vol. 38, Iss. 6 Medical engineering & physics, 2016.
- Dicianno, Brad B., Lieberman, Jenny, Schmeler, Mark M., Souza, Ana Elisa Schuler P, Cooper, Rosemarie, Lange, Michelle, Liu, Hsin-yi, and Jan, Yih-Kuen. Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America's Position on the Application of Tilt, Recline, and Elevating Legrests for Wheelchairs Literature Update, 193-198. Vol. 27, Iss. 3 Assistive Technology, 2015.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Cooper, Rosemarie, Kelleher, Annmarie, and Cooper, Rory R.. An interview study for developing a user guide for powered seating function usage, 499-512. Vol. 9, Iss. 6 Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 2014.
- Laferrier, Justin J., Rice, Ian, Pearlman, Jon, Sporner, Michelle M., Cooper, Rosi, Liu, Tanya, and Cooper, Rory R.. Technology to improve sports performance in wheelchair sports, 4-19. Vol. 5, Iss. 1-2 Sports Technology, 2012.
- Hong, Eun-Kyoung, Pearlman, Jon, Salatin, Benjamin, Wang, Hongwu, Liu, Hsin-yi, Cooper, Rory R., and Hargroder, Todd. Design and development of a lightweight, durable, adjustable composite backrest mounting, 24-35. Vol. 23, Iss. 1 Assistive Technology®, 2011.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Grindle, Garrett, Chuang, Fu-Chieh, Kelleher, Annmarie, Cooper, Rosemarie, Siewiorek, Daniel, Smailagic, Asim, and Cooper, Rory. User preferences for indicator and feedback modalities: A preliminary survey study for developing a coaching system to facilitate wheelchair power seat function usage. Vol. 10 IEEE Pervasive Comput, 2011.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Pearlman, Jonathan, Cooper, Rosemarie, Hong, Eun-kyoung, Wang, Hongwu, Salatin, Benjamin, and Cooper, Rory R.. Evaluation of aluminum ultralight rigid wheelchairs versus other ultralight wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards. Vol. 47, Iss. 5 Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 2010.
- Wang, Hongwu, Liu, Hsin-yi, Pearlman, Jon, Cooper, Rosemarie, Jefferds, Alexandra, Connor, Sam, and Cooper, Rory R.. Relationship between wheelchair durability and wheelchair type and years of test, 318-322. Vol. 5, Iss. 5 Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 2010.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Cooper, Rosemary, Cooper, Rory, Smailagic, Asim, Siewiorek, Dan, Ding, Dan, and Chuang, Fu-Chieh. Seating virtual coach: A smart reminder for power seat function usage, 53-60. Vol. 22, Iss. 1-2 Technology and Disability, 2010.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Rice, Ian, Laferrier, Justin, Cooper, Rosemarie, Boninger, Mike, and Cooper, Rory. Sport Chair Set-up and Selection. In Wheelchair Sports: A complete guide for athletes, coaches, and teachers, editors Goosey-Tolfrey, Vicky. Human Kinetics, 2010.
- Ding, Dan, Liu, Hsin-yi, Cooper, Rosemarie, Cooper, Rory R., Smailagic, Asim, and Siewiorek, Dan. Virtual coach technology for supporting self-care, 179-194. Vol. 21, Iss. 1 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics, 2010.
- Karmarkar, Amol, Cooper, Rory R., Liu, Hsin-yi, Connor, Sam, and Puhlman, Jeremy. Evaluation of pushrim-activated power-assisted wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards, 1191-1198. Vol. 89, Iss. 6 Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 2008.
- Liu, Hsin-yi, Cooper, RA, Pearlman, J, Cooper, R, and Connor, S. Evaluation of titanium ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/RESNA standards, 1251-1267. Vol. 45, Iss. 9 Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 2008.