My clinical experience is in the areas of acute and inpatient neurorehabilitation as well as skilled nursing homes. My doctoral work is in experimental psychology and this focus on rigorous methods influences my approach to occupational therapy as a clinician scientist. Prior to joining the faculty at USD I was an assistant professor in the department of Occupational Therapy at two other universities.
I currently teach coursework related to movement and structure, professional issues associated with Level I FW, and health policy. I have previously taught coursework relate to neuroscience, cognition and function, adult neurorehabilitation, and mental health practice.
My current research interests are in the intersection between functional cognition and emotional experiences in daily life. I am interest in the interplay between these areas in individuals with neurological conditions particularly Parkinson Disease as well as older adults. I have also done work on how sensory processing styles influence mental health.
- Ph D, Psychological Sciences - Cognition and Neuroscience, University of Missouri - Columbia, 2012
- MA, Psychological Sciences - Cognition and Neuroscience , University of Missouri - Columbia, 2009
- BS, Occupational Therapy, University of Missouri - Columbia, 2003
- South Dakota Occupational Therapist Licensure, South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners
- New Jersey Occupational Therapy Licensure, New Jersey Office of the Attorney General
- Missouri Occupational Therapy Licensure, Missouri Board of Occupational Therapy
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, NBCOT
- Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee Technology Grant: Visible Body Courseware, Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee, (2021 - 2022)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Patel, Sona, Hebert, Karen, Korzyukov, Oleg, and Larson, Charles C.. Effects of sensorimotor voice training on event-related potentials to pitch-shifted auditory feedback., Editors Ning, Li-Hsin, e0269326. Vol. 18, Iss. 1 PLOS ONE, 2023. (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0269326)
- Dayalu, Vikram, Hebert, Karen, Grabowski, Caryn, Cotton, Kelly, and Patel, Sona. Examining the Relationship Between Task-Switching and Speech Errors in Parkinson's Disease, e188. Vol. 103, Iss. 12 Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2022. (DOI: 10.1016/j.apmr.2022.08.947)
- Hebert, Karen, Dayalu, Vikram, Grabowski, Caryn, and Patel, Sona. Cognitive involvement during sensorimotor integration for speech: Early evidence. In Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics. ASA, 2022. (DOI: 10.1121/2.0001552)
- Hebert, Karen, and Ricker, Timothy. Reliability of the Emotional Experiences in Activities of Daily Living Scale, 153944922210852. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health, 2022. (DOI: 10.1177/15394492221085288)
- Hebert, Karen, Dayalu, Vikram, Grabowski, Caryn, and Patel, Sona. Early evidence of cognitive involvement during sensorimotor integration for speech, A273-A273. Vol. 150, Iss. 4 The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2021. (DOI: 10.1121/10.0008267)
- Hebert, Karen. Emotional Regulation in Daily Occupations in a Time of Crisis. . In nOTeWorthy in NJ. NJOTA Newsletter , 2020.
- Racine, Sarah S., Hebert, Karen, and Benning, Stephen S.. Emotional Reactivity and Appraisal of Food in Relation to Eating Disorder Cognitions and Behaviours: Evidence to Support the Motivational Conflict Hypothesis, 3-10. Vol. 26, Iss. 1 EUROPEAN EATING DISORDERS REVIEW, 2018. (DOI: 10.1002/erv.2567)
- Hebert, Karen. Sensory processing styles and eating behaviors in healthy adults, 162-170. Vol. 81, Iss. 3 BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 2018. (DOI: 10.1177/0308022617743708)
- Podvey, Mara, Hoover, Karen, and Hebert, Karen. Interrater Reliability of the SNiPS Screening Tool. Vol. 71, Iss. 4 AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 2017. (DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2017.71S1-PO5158)
- Hebert, Karen. The Relationship Between Emotion Regulation and Quality of Life in Healthy Adults: Implications for Occupational Therapy. Vol. 71, Iss. 4 AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 2017. (DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2017.71S1-PO5107)
- Hebert, Karen. The association between sensory processing styles and mindfulness, 557-564. Vol. 79, Iss. 9 BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 2016. (DOI: 10.1177/0308022616656872)
- Hebert, Karen. The Feeling of Mindfulness: How Sensory Processing Styles Influence Mindful Awareness of Daily Experiences, 6911505208p1. Vol. 69, Iss. Suppl. 1 American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2015. (DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2015.69s1-po7095)
- Hebert, Karen, Valle-Inclan, Fernando, and Hackley, Steven S.. Modulation of eyeblink and postauricular reflexes during the anticipation and viewing of food images, 509-517. Vol. 52, Iss. 4 PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY, 2015. (DOI: 10.1111/psyp.12372)
- Hebert, Karen. The association between impulsivity and sensory processing patterns in healthy adults, 232-240. Vol. 78, Iss. 4 BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, 2015. (DOI: 10.1177/0308022615575670)
- Hackley, Steven S., Valle-Inclan, Fernando, Masaki, Hiroaki, and Hebert, Karen. Stimulus-Preceding Negativity (SPN) and Attention to Rewards, 216-225. COGNITIVE ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF ATTENTION: SIGNALS OF THE MIND, 2014. (DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-398451-7.00017-8)
- Ricker, Timothy, Cowan, Nelson, and Hebert, Karen. Forgetting from Working Memory Feature by Feature. In PsycEXTRA Dataset. American Psychological Association (APA), 2011. (DOI: 10.1037/e520602012-363)
- Hebert, Karen, and Feldhacker, Mackenzie, The Role of Emotional Experiences and Cognition on Occupational Performance in Individuals with Parkinson's Disease. Presented at the AOTA Inspire 2023, Kansas City, Missouri. (April 21, 2023)
- Hebert, Karen, Dayalu, Vikram, Grabowski, Caryn, and Patel, Sona, Early Evidence of Cognitive Involvement during Sensorimotor Integration for Speech. Presented at the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) (November 2021)
- Alvino, E, Chirichella, A, Hebert, Karen, Dayalu, Vikram, and Patael, Sona, Altered Auditory Feedback & Cognitive Load. Presented at the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) Conference (November 2019)
- Hebert, Karen, Emotional experiences in daily occupations: introducing the emotions in activities of daily living skills questionnaire. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA. (March 2017)
- Podvey, Mara, Hoover, Karen, and Hebert, Karen, Interrater reliability of the SNiPS Screening tool. . Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference (March 2017)
- Hebert, Karen, The relationship between emotional regulation and quality of life in health adults: implications for occupational therapy. . Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA. (March 2017)
- Hebert, Karen, The feeling of mindfulness: how sensory processing styles influence mindful awareness of daily experiences. Presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference (April 2015)
- Ricker, Timothy J., Cowan, Nelson, and Hebert, Karen R., Time-based forgetting from working memory, feature-by-feature. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Seattle, WA, USA. (November 2011)