345 Lee Medicine & Science Hall
Khosrow Rezvani MD, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Cancer Biology at Sanford Scholl of Medicine. Dr. Rezvani's research focuses on the molecular mechanisms of colorectal cancer and targeted therapies.
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cancer Biology
The role of Ubiquitin-proteasome pathway in cancer
- Ph D, Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Nottingham, 2002
- MD, Medical doctor, University of Kashan, Medical school, 1998
- Memebership in the scientific Research Society, Sigma Xi the scientific Research Society
- NIH Grant Training Seminar certificate , Creighton University Omaha, Nebraska
- The p53 inhibitors Mortalin-2/CHIP complex is required for control of p53 stability in colon cancer, 5) Fight Colorectal Cancer-AACR Fellowship, in memory of Lisa Dubow
- The p53 inhibitors Mortalin-2/CHIP complex is required for control of p53 stability in colon cancer, Helen Hay Whitney Foundation
- The p53 inhibitors Mortalin-2/CHIP complex is required for control of p53 stability in colon cancer, The life sciences research foundation
- The p53 inhibitors Mortalin-2/CHIP complex is required for control of p53 stability in colon cancer, AACR basic cancer research fellowship
- Pre-clinical development of a stimuli-triggered gated drug delivery nanoassembly to target metastatic colorectal cancer, NIH/MBArC, (2022 - 2023)
- Site-specific delivery of Veratridine: a novel targeted therapy in colorectal cancer, Dakota Cancer Collaborative on Translational Activity, (2020 - 2022)
- A potential complementary strategy for colon cancer therapy, NIH-COBRE, (2015 - 2016)
- 1) Inhibition of Mortalin-2 by Veratridine: A potential complementary strategy for colon cancer therapy, BBS, (2015 - 2016)
- Veratridine induces cell death through a ubiquitin-like (UBX) domain containing protein, UBXN2A , Council for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity (CURCA) , (2013 - 2014)
- Characterization and Anti-Cancer Activity of UBXN2A in Human Colorectal Cancer, Council for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity (CURCA) , (2013 - 2014)
- New Use for Old Drugs, Mechanistic Studies of Chloroquine and Veratrine Against Colon Cancer , SD BRIN PILOT GRANT OPPORTUNITY , (2012 - 2013)
- Regulation of p53 stability and function by the UBXN2A, a new strategy for cancer therapy, South Dakota Board of Regents, (2012 - 2013)
- UBXN2A stabilizes p53 tumor suppressor gene by inhibition of CHIP E3 ligase, Sanford Research COBRE for pilot project proposals, (2012 - 2013)
- Targeting UBXN2A: Killing Two Birds with One Stone in Human Colon, Office of Research (Track to Success grant), (2012 - 2012)
- Generation and Characterization of a UBXN2A Knockout Mouse Model, PQCD, (2011 - 2012)
- Suppression of tumor growth by UBXN2A protein in xenograft mouse model, Council for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity (CURCA) , (2011 - 2012)
- Characterization of 26S Subpopulations in the Hippocampus of Rats, Council for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity (CURCA) , (2011 - 2012)
- Characterization and Anti-Cancer Activity of UBXN2A in Human Colorectal Cancer, Council for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity (CURCA) , (2010 - 2011)
- Proteome-wide Profiling of Ubiquitinated Substrates Modulated by a UBX Containing Protein, Division of Biomedical sciences, (2010 - 2011)
- Acquisition of State-of-the-Art Instrumentation for High-Resolution Visualization and Characterization of Advanced Materials and Processes2013)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Srinivasan, Rekha, Potts, Rashaun, Eikanger, Morgan, Zagirova, Diana, Freeling, Jessica, Reihe, Casey, Antony, Ryan, Gupta, Brij, Lynch, Douglas, Bleeker, Jonathan, Turaihi, Hassan, Pillatzki, Angela, Zhou, Wei, Luo, Xu, Agany, Diing, Zohim, Etienne, Humphrey, Lisa, and Black, Adrian. UBXN2A suppresses the Rictor-mTORC2 signaling pathway, an established tumorigenic pathway in human colorectal cancer. (DOI: 10.21203/RS.3.RS-1867481/V1)
- Wijewantha, N N., Eikanger, M M., Antony, R R., Potts, R R., Rezvani, Khosrow, and Sereda, Grigoriy. Targeting Colon Cancer Cells with Enzyme-Triggered Casein-Gated Release of Cargo from Mesoporous Silica-Based Nanoparticles. In Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2353-2365. Vol. 32, Iss. 11 Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2021.
- Sane, S, Hafner, A, Srinivasan, R, Masood, D, Slunecka, J J., Noldner, C C., Hanson, A A., Kruisselbrink, T, Wang, Xuejun, Wang, Y, Yin, J, and Rezvani, Khosrow. UBXN2A enhances CHIP-mediated proteasomal degradation of oncoprotein mortalin-2 in cancer cells.. Molecular Oncology, 2018. (DOI: 10.1002/1878-0261.12372)
- Sane, Sanam, Abdullah, Ammara, Nelson, Morgan, Wang, Hongmin, Chauhan, Subhash S., Newton, Samuel, and Rezvani, Khosrow. Structural studies of UBXN2A and mortalin interaction and the putative role of silenced UBXN2A in preventing response to chemotherapy., Editors Helen Neumann. Storrs, Connecticut: Cell Stress Chaperones / Springer, 2015. (DOI: 10.1007/s12192-015-0661-5)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Abdullah, Ammara, Sane, Sanam, Freeling, Jessica , Wang, Hongmin, and Zhang, Dong . Nucleocytoplasmic Translocation of UBXN2A Is Required for Apoptosis During DNA Damage Stresses in Colon Cancer Cells., 1066-78. Vol. 3, Iss. 6(11) Journal of Cancer, 2015. (DOI: 10.7150/jca.12134)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Debiasi, Mariella , and Teng, Yanfen. UBXN2A regulates nicotinic receptor degradation by modulating the E3 ligase activity of CHIP., 518-30. Vol. 97, Iss. 4 Biochemical pharmacology, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016/j.bcp.2015.08.084)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Abdullah, Ammara, Sane, Sanam, Branik, Kate , Freeling, Jessica , Wang, Hongmin, and Zhang, Dong. A plant alkaloid, veratridine, potentiates cancer chemosensitivity by UBXN2A-dependent inhibition of an oncoprotein, mortalin-2, 23561-81. Vol. 6, Iss. 27 Oncotarget, 2015.
- Liu, Y., Hettinger, C. C., Zhang, Dong, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Xuejun, and Wang, Hongmin. Sulforaphane enhances proteasomal and autophagic activities in mice and is a potential therapeutic reagent for Huntington's disease, 539-47. Epub 2014 Jan 18.. Vol. 129, Iss. 3 J Neurochem, 2014. (DOI: 10.1111/jnc.12647)
- Liu, Y., Hettinger, C. C., Zhang, Dong, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Xuejun, and Wang, Hongmin. The Proteasome Function Reporter GFPu Accumulates in Young Brains of the APPswe/PS1dE9 Alzheimer's Disease Mouse Model, 315-322. Epub 2013 Dec 21. . Vol. 34, Iss. 3 Cell Mol Neurobiol, 2014. (DOI: 10.1007/s10571-013-0022-9)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Zhang, Dong, Wang, Hongmin, Telleria, Carlos, and Schlenker, Evelyn. Ubiquitin-like (UBX)-domain-containing protein, UBXN2A, promotes cell death by interfering with the p53-Mortalin2 interactions in colon cancer cells ., Editors Dr Giovanni Melillo. Rome: Cell death and Disease/Nature publishing group, 2014.
- Liu, Y., Lü , L., Hettinger, C. C., Dong, G., Zhang, Dong, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Xuejun, and Wang, Hongmin. Ubiquilin-1 protects cells from oxidative stress and ischemic stroke caused tissue injury in mice, 2813-21. Vol. 34, Iss. 8 J Neurosci, 2014. (DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3541-13.2014)
- Zou, Jianqiu, Tian, Fen, Li, Ji, Pickner, Wyatt, Long, Molly, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Hongmin, and Zhang, Dong. FancJ regulates interstrand crosslinker induced centrosome amplification through the activation of polo-like kinase 1. , 1022. Vol. 2 Biology Open , 2013.
- Tian, Fen, Sharma, Shilpy, Zou, Jianqiu, Lin, Shiaw-Yih, Wang, Bin, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Hongmin, Parvin, Jeffery J., Ludwig, Thomas, Canman, Christine C., and Zhang, Dong. BRCA1 promotes the ubiquitination of PCNA and recruitment of translesion polymerases in response to replication blockade, 13558. Vol. 110, Iss. 33 Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2013.
- Zou, Jianqiu, Rezvani, Khosrow, Wang, Hongmin, Lee, Kyung K., and Zhang, Dong. BRCA1 downregulates the kinase activity of Polo-like kinase 1 in response to replication stress, 2255. Vol. 12, Iss. 14 Cell Cycle, 2013.
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Baalman, K, Yang, Y, Mee, M, Dawson, S, Wang, Hongmin, De Biasi, M, and mayer, J. Proteasomal Degradation of the Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 1is Mediated by Homer-3 via the Proteasomal S8 ATPase., Editors Jörg Schulz, 24-37. Vol. 122, Iss. 1 Journal of Neurochemistry, 2012. (DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-4159.2012.07752.x)
- Dong, Gaofeng, Ferguson, Justin J., Duling, A A., Nicolas, R R., Zhang, Dong, Rezvani, Khosrow, Fang, S, Monterio, M M., Li, S, Li, X X., and Wang, Hongmin. Modeling Pathogenesis of Huntington's Disease with Inducible Neuroprogenitor Cells, 737. Vol. 31 Cell Mol Neurobiol , 2011.
- Chester McVay Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research., Sanford School of Medicine, 2020
- , Sereda, Grigoriy, and Rezvani, Khosrow, Smart mesoporous silica nanoparticles-based stimuli-responsive nanocarriers for the controlled delivery of veratridine, an anti-cancer molecule for targeting colon cancer cells. Presented at the 2022 ACS National Meeting (March 20-24, 2022), PAPER ID: 3654675. (March 20, 2022)
- Sudhagoni, Ramu, Rezvani, Khosrow, and Freeling, Jessica, Linear mixed effects model approach to analyze change in tumor growth of colorectal cancer mouse model.. Presented at the Joint Statistical Meetings, Baltimore. (July 28, 2017)
- Nelson, Morgan, sane, sanam, Wang, Hongmin, and Rezvani, Khosrow, Identification and Characterization of Multiple Distinct Proteasome Subpopulations in Brain Regions . Presented at the Center for Brain and Behavior Research (CBBRe) 2014 Symposium, Vermillion, SD. (August 21, 2014)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, The pre-clinical evaluation of Veratridine cytotoxicity in colon cancer cells by UBXN2A-dependent inhibition of Mortalin-2 oncoprotein. . Presented at the Third Symposium on Ubiquitin, Protein Quality Control, and Molecular Pathogenesis, Deadwood. (June 05, 2014)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Ubiquitin-Like (UBX)-Domain-Containing Protein, UBXN2A, Promotes Cell Death by Interfering with the p53-Mortalin2 Interactions in Cancer Cells. Presented at the The Ubiquitin System: From Basic Science to Drug Discovery (A2), Montana. (January 07, 2014)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Ubiquitin-Like (UBX)-Domain-Containing Protein, UBXN2A, Promotes Cell Death by Interfering with the p53-Mortalin2 Interactions in Cancer Cells. Presented at the The meeting on Cell Death, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724-2213. (October 08, 2013)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, UBXN2A Interferes with the p53-Mortalin2 Interaction in Cancer Cells and Constitutes a Potential Target for Cancer Therapy. Presented at the Ninth AACR-Japanese Cancer Association Joint Conference: Breakthroughs in Basic and Translational Cancer Research, Maui, HI. (February 23, 2013)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, Identification and Characterization of Multiple Distinct Proteasome Subpopulations in Brain Regions. Presented at the The 4th annual Ubiquitin Drug Discovery & Diagnostics Conference, Philadelphia. (July 23, 2012)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, UBXN2A interferes with the p53-Mortalin2 interactions in cancer cells and constitutes a potential target for cancer therapy. Presented at the Secound Symposium on Ubiquitin, Protein Quality Control, and Molecular Pathogenesis, Deadwood. (June 13, 2012)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, and Starlight, Jon , Activation of p53 tumor suppressor by UBXN2A as a novel therapeutic approach in colon cancer. Presented at the 2nd Annual Student Research Symposium at Sanford Research/USD, Sioux fall. (July 02, 2011)
- Rezvani, Khosrow, UBXN2A Regulates p53 Localization and Stability through Interaction with Mortalin-2. Presented at the Inaugural Symposium on Ubiquitin, Protein Quality Control, and Molecular Pathogenesis, Vermillion. (June 23, 2011)