I have worked in a variety of work settings related to physical therapy. Work settings include hospitals, nursing homes, home care, private practice and academia.
Therapeutic exercise, musculoskeletal physical therapy, differential diagnosis
therapeutic exercise, EMG analysis of muscle function, and ultrasound imaging of musculoskeletal structures
- Other, Orthopedic Physical Therapy, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, 2001
- MS, Anatomy, University of Minnesota, 1977
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of North Dakota, 1970
- Physical therapy License Minnesota, Minnesota Physical Therapy Board
- Physical Therapy License South Dakota, South Dakota Board of Medical Examiners
- Emergency Medical Response, American Red Cross
- Clinical Specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists
- Use of video eyewear to promote self-awareness and reflective perspective-taking following patient care learning scenarios, USD Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee2015)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Ekstrom, Richard, and Osborn, Roy. Electromyographic normalization procedures for determining exercise intensity of closed chain exercises for the quadriceps femoris muscles, 766-771. Vol. 26, Iss. 3 Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2012. (DOI: March, 2012)
- Ekstrom, Richard, and Osborn, Roy. Measurement of Supraspinatus Muscle Contraction Using Ultrasound Imaging., Editors Guy G. Simoneau, PT, PhD, ATC (editor in chief), A8. Vol. 42, Iss. 1 Alexandria, VA: Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2012.
- Ekstrom, Richard, and Osborn, Roy. Muscle Length Testing and Electromyographic Evidence for Manual Strength Testing and Exercises for the Shoulder. In Physical Therapy of the Shoulder, editors Robert A Donatelli, 329-349. Iss. 5th St Louis, MO: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2011.
- Ekstrom, Richard, and Osborn, Roy. Exercises for the Trunk, Shoulder, Hip, and Knee: Electromyographic Evidence. In Orthopedic Physical Therapy, editors Robert A. Donatelli/Michael J. Wooden, 673-702. Iss. 4 St. Louis, Missouri: Churchill Livingstone.
- Hall of Fame, South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, 2015
- Hall of Fame Contributor Award , South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, 2003
- Zimmy, Kory, Ekstrom, Richard, Byrnes, Eric , Hill, Jessica, and Sousek, Zac , The Effects of Ischemic Compression and Massage on Pain Pressure Threshold in subjects with Muscle Trigger Points in the Shoulder Girdle. Presented at the SHS Research Day, Vermillion, SD. (March 28, 2014)
- Huff, E, Buelow, Janet, Jorgensen, Kathy, Nelson, Deb, Ekstrom, Richard, Smallfield, Stacy, and Johnson, Marni, Interdisciplinary health fairs for seniors: Service learning in higher education. Presented at the American Speech and Hearing Association Convention, Miami, FL. (November 2006)
- Buelow, Janel, Nelson, Deb, Jorgensen, Kathy, Peterson, M., Smallfield, Stacy, Ekstrom, Richard, and Huff, E., Interdisciplinary health fairs for senior citizens. Presented at the Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education, Vermillion, SD. (September 2005)