Thomas Tiahrt is a Vermillion, SD native and received his B.S. in Business Administration, his M.A. in Computer Science and his Ph.D. in Computational Science and Statistics from USD. Dr. Tiahrt spent over two decades in software development ranging from writing large-scale software systems to supervising staff. His work resulted in five software patents embodying innovation in indexing, categorization and dynamic database content capture. Those patents have been cited by Google, IBM, Trend Micro, and the Regents of the University of California as prior art for their patents.
Statistics, Calculus and Analytics
Applied analytics, extracting meaning from text and the scholarship of learning.
- Ph D, Computational Science and Statistics, The University of South Dakota, 2011
- MA, Computer Science, The University of South Dakota, 1991
- BBA, Accounting, The University of South Dakota, 1982
- Review of Analytics Techniques used for Statistical Learning Techniques. , Meta Corporation, (2020 - 2021)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Simsek, Serhat, Dag, Ali, Tiahrt, Thomas, and Oztekin, Asil. A Bayesian Belief Network-based probabilistic mechanism to determine patient no-show risk categories., Editors Ben Lev. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2020. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2020.102296)
- Simsek, Serhat, Tiahrt, Thomas, and Dag, Ali. Stratifying no-show patients into multiple risk groups via a holistic data analytics-based framework., Editors James R. Marsden. Decision Support Systems, 2020. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2020.113269)
- South-Winter, Carole C., and Tiahrt, Thomas. Opening Clinics in the Developing World: Lessons from Ghana ., Editors Institute for Global Business Research, 106-114. Vol. 2, Iss. 1 Moncton, NB: Global Journal of Business Disciplines (GJBD), 2019.
- Tiahrt, Thomas, and Porter, Jason. What Do I Do with this Flipping Classroom: Ideas for Effectively Using Class Time in a Flipped Course. Vol. 8, Iss. 2 Salt Lake City, UT: The Business Education Innovation Journal, 2016.
- Porter, Jason, and Tiahrt, Thomas. That's a Wrap: Evaluating Different Methods for Creating Video Lectures, 55-66. Vol. 8, Iss. 1 Business Education Innovation Journal, 2016.
- Professor of Business Analytics, POET, 2017
- Tiahrt, Thomas, and Hanus, Bartlomiej, A Data-centric Information Systems Course. Presented at the 2020 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference, Virtual. (November 21, 2020)
- Hanus, Bartlomiej, George, Benjamin, and Tiahrt, Thomas, Trust in Online Reviews: Do Assurance Seals and Reviewer Competence Make a Difference?. Presented at the DSI Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. (November 2019)
- Tiahrt, Thomas, Huckabee, Gregory, and Carr, David L., NCAA Interdivisional Games: An Examination of Ethical Concerns when David Plays Goliath. Presented at the 60th Annual Mountain Plains Business Conference, Brookings, South Dakota. (October 19, 2019)
- South-Winter, Carole A., and Tiahrt, Thomas, Opening Clinics in the Developing World: Engaging Students in Meaningful Research with Industry Partners. Presented at the 59th Mountain Plains Business Conference, Omaha, NE. (October 26, 2018)
- South-Winter, Carole A., and Tiahrt, Thomas, Academia Collaboration to Succeed in the Changing Landscape of Global Health Care Initiatives a Natural Fit. Presented at the Global Healthcare Symposium, Philadelphia, PA. (June 12, 2018)
- Tiahrt, Thomas, What Do Analytics Programs Teach?. Presented at the INFORMS Annual Conference, Nashville, TN. (November 12, 2016)
- Tiahrt, Thomas, Computational Philosophy, Thinking and Human Flourishing. Presented at the Technology and Human Flourishing Conference, Waco, TX. (October 25, 2012)