Timothy J. Campbell is Associate Professor of Music at the University of South Dakota, where he conducts the Symphonic Choir and Collegium Musicum. He is also the founder and artistic director of the vocal ensemble Transept, whose debut album Live at the Cathedral was released in 2021, and the Chorus Director of the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra. He has performed with Grammy®-winning ensembles as a professional ensemble singer, and toured across the United States and Europe. As a conductor, teacher, and vocalist, Dr. Campbell brings a wealth of experience to his work at USD.
A Sioux Falls native, Dr. Campbell is a passionate advocate for the development of vocal arts in South Dakota. He began teaching at the University of South Dakota in the fall of 2014. In addition to conducting the Symphonic Choir and Collegium Musicum, he teaches courses in choral literature, applied voice, and sight-singing. He also leads conducting practicums for undergraduate and graduate students. Dr. Campbell previously served on the faculty of West Virginia University, where he worked alongside the 2018 Grammy®-Award Music Educator of the Year, Dr. Jeffery Redding. He has also served as Associate Director for Men's Consort Houston and the CORO Vocal Artists, and as Director of the St. Luke's Early Music Ensemble (TX).
In 2016, Dr. Campbell founded Transept, a dynamic vocal ensemble that brings together some of the finest professional ensemble singers in the nation with select musicians in the region. Transept's innovative and imaginatively crafted programs interweave works for vocal consort, soloists, and chamber choir spanning ten centuries of music — from plainchant and Renaissance masterworks to contemporary choral repertoire. Transept has also developed education and outreach initiatives which have led to collaborations in concert and masterclass settings with numerous high school, church, and collegiate ensembles in the state. Live at the Cathedral, Transept's first album, was mastered by the Grammy®-winning studio Soundmirror, Inc. and is available on all platforms.
The 2021-2022 Centennial Season of the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra marks the appointment of Dr. Campbell to the post of Chorus Director, making him only the third director to serve during the nearly four decades of the SDSO Chorus. During the 2021-2022 Season, Dr. Campbell will prepare the Chorus for Handel's Messiah and Bach's St. Matthew Passion, as well as Christmas with the Symphony: 'Tis the Season!
As a tenor, Dr. Campbell has performed with numerous professional ensembles around the country, including the Grammy®-winning ensembles Conspirare and the Houston Chamber Choir; The Rose Ensemble, VocalEssence, The Singers, Tucson Chamber Artists, Cantare Houston, the South Dakota Chorale, and Kinnara. He toured Germany and Spain with the Rose Ensemble, an internationally acclaimed early music vocal ensemble of twelve who took first prize in the prestigious Tolosa International Choral Competition. He also performed in Carnegie and Avery Fisher Hall with Conspirare, and with the Houston Chamber Choir in a performance of Tallis' monumental 40-part Spem in Alium sung 1-part under the direction of Peter Phillips of the Tallis Scholars.
Dr. Campbell holds degrees from Bemidji State University (B.S.), the University of Minnesota (M.M.), and the University of Arizona (D.M.A.).
- Project Grant, SD Arts Council, (2019 - 2020)
- Community Grant, Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation, (2019 - 2020)
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions of the faculty member or discipline.
- Campbell, Timothy. "Transept: Live at the Cathedral".
- Campbell, Timothy. TV & Radio special: "Transept: Cathedral Masterpieces". Sioux Falls, SD & Several national PBS outlets: SDPB & PBS, 2020.
- Campbell, Timothy T.. CHAMPIONING DISTLER'S GEBRAUCHSMUSIK: A NEW EDITION OF THE ES IST EIN ROS' ENTSPRUNGEN VARIATIONS FROM DIE WEIHNACHTSGESCHICHTE, OP. 10 (1933), 94. Ann Arbor, MI: Proquest, 2015.
- Campbell, Timothy, A Case for Consort Singing & Exploring Early Music for Various Ensembles. Presented at the USD Director's Clinic, Vemillion, SD. (June 19, 2019)
- Campbell, Timothy, Choral Seminar. Presented at the Sioux Falls HS Choral In-Service, Lincoln HS, Sioux Falls. (October 12, 2018)
- Campbell, Timothy, The Perfect Chord. Presented at the USD Director's Clinic, Vermillion. (June 21, 2018)
- Campbell, Timothy, Vocal Auditions. Presented at the Vocal Artists Summer Program, Sioux Falls, SD. (June 19, 2018)
- Campbell, Timothy, Score Study: Exploration, Preparation, and Playing with Colors. Presented at the Northern Plains Music Festival, Dickinson, ND. (November 11, 2016)
- Campbell, Timothy, Championing Distler's Gebrauchsmusik. Presented at the Doctoral Lecture Rectial, Tucson, AZ. (March 12, 2015)