Every step of your college education, USD has the resources to help you navigate the unknown and be successful upon graduation.
Take advantage of the resources that can help you be a successful student.
Throughout your USD experience, you'll explore many opportunities for academic, personal and professional growth. Your academic and faculty advisors will play important roles in your journey as they help you plan for and understand the requirements for graduation while assisting you in preparing for your eventual career.
As an incoming freshman or transfer student, you'll have the opportunity to meet with an adviser and register for your first semester classes at one of our traditional registration events:
- Fast-track sessions (for first-time freshman students)
- Transfer registration day (for transfers, readmits and adult students)
As you continue your academic career at USD, you will meet with an adviser specifically assigned to you, either through the USD Academic and Career Planning Center or through your major's school or college:
- Academic and Career Planning Center
- College of Arts and Sciences majors, undeclared majors, secondary education majors and majors in the School of Health Sciences including alcohol and drug studies, health sciences major, medical laboratory sciences, nursing and social work
- Beacom School of Business Student Services Center
- Accounting, business administration, economics, finance, health services administration, human resource management, innovation and entrepreneurship, management, marketing and operational analytics
- School of Education Center for Student and Professional Services
- Elementary education, special education and kinesiology and sport management
- Department-Assigned Advisers
- College of Fine Arts majors (art, music, theatre), dental hygiene
After completing 45 hours of course work, you will be assigned a personal faculty adviser in the department of your major.
Find the right major. Stay on track. Complete your degree. The following advising resources are available through the myUSD portal to help you in successfully accomplishing your academic goals:
A learning specialist will meet with you individually to help you improve your academic performance and be more successful. Anyone can qualify for this free service. Schedule an appointment with a learning specialist if you have concerns about your grades, or need assistance with any of the topics below. Our learning specialists will work one-on-one with students to help them:
- Develop successful learning strategies and study skills
- Develop a personal academic plan to improve the likelihood of college success
- Develop a specific action plan for classes or academic tasks that are causing the most difficulty
The college years can be filled with new and enriching experiences, but can also present challenges which may interfere with your academic progress and emotional well-being. The Student Counseling Center's goal is to help you make the most of your years here at USD. On our website, you will find information about our services, staff, campus resources, crisis management and how to refer someone. There are also links to self-help tools and general health information.
If you would like to continue services or schedule a new appointment, please call the Student Counseling Center at 605-658-3580 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow our social media accounts to stay up-to-date on what we have happening.