Welcome to Employer Support of the ACPC
Real-world experience is a significant part of a student's college years, helping them develop the knowledge and skills necessary in the workplace. Here at USD, we work to build a network that sets our students up for success. Our students are hard-working, critical thinkers who are ready to explore different opportunities. The USD Academic and Career Planning Center offers a wide variety of employer services designed to put you in contact with a diverse population of enthusiastic, well-qualified candidates who are ready to contribute to the success of your organization.
Meet the Professionals
Student Resources & Opportunities
Why Should I Hire an Intern?
Internships help you sample the extraordinary talent at USD and create a pipeline of future employees. Interns contribute to your company's mission and bring a fresh perspective to the organization.
You will also help students gain practical experience and implement a learning agreement that maximizes their professional growth.
How Do I Hire an Intern?
The Academic and Career Planning Center offers services to help you develop and promote your internship, including:
- Identifying a professional activity within your organization that a student can participate in.
- Developing the internship position description.
- Advertising the position and collect students' resumes.
- Collecting applications from the students whom you wish to interview.
- Providing space on campus for you to interview students.
- Posting a job or internship.
How Many Hours per Week Does an Intern Work?
Work schedules are varied and tend to be flexible. Typically, students work 10 to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Some may work full time if the internship is completed during the summer.
What is Appropriate Compensation?
Compensation varies widely and is dependent on the organization's needs, budget and position description. USD recommends a pro-rated salary for the intern comparable to an entry level employee at your organization. A stipend is also an acceptable form of payment.
Organizations that cannot afford to pay a salary may consider reimbursing the student for transportation or housing.
Does USD Offer Any Services to Employers to Help Organizations Pay Interns?
USD does not have a service to subsidize student intern wages. However, the South Dakota Department of Labor offers funding to qualified employers through Dakota Seeds.
What Can I Do to Maximize the Professional Growth of My Interns?
- Plan a challenging work experience and assign projects that relate to their studies. Routine office work should not be the primary focus of the experience.
- Develop a detailed position description that outlines the student's expectations and assignments. Orient, train and supervise the student.
- Provide a tour of the facility and information on company procedures.
- Meet regularly, especially in the beginning.
- Provide broad exposure to the organization, including staff meetings and informational interviews with key staff members.
- Provide ongoing feedback about the intern's performance.
Thank you for your interest in the extraordinary talent at USD. The USD Academic and Career Planning Center offers a wide variety of employer services designed to put you in contact with a diverse population of enthusiastic, well-qualified candidates who are ready to contribute to the success of your organization. Our services are designed to help you connect with thousands of students and alumni available for full-time and part-time employment and internship opportunities.
Employers are invited to link to our Coyote Careers eRecruiting system. If you already have an account, log in with your username and password. If this is your first time using Coyote Careers, click the link at the bottom of the page “Click Here To Register” then follow the instructions for posting a position.
The system is easy to use and is a great way to advertise your company, review students’ resumes and profiles, post your positions, and schedule on-campus interviews. Feel free to contact us at 605-658-3600 if you have any questions.
Hold On-Campus Interviews
You can arrange to hold your interviews for full-time, part-time, or internship positions right on campus. Contact us at 605-658-3600 to schedule your interviews.
Departments & Facilities
Every step of your college journey, USD has the resources that will help you navigate the unknown. These resources ensure that you have every opportunity to be successful upon graduation.