USD’s Tech to Launch Program (T2L) builds agency for South Dakota inventors by providing strategy in business operations, commercialization pathway, support frameworks, legal counsel and financial planning. Tech to Launch imagines a South Dakota that empowers inventors to take risks and innovate.
T2L is the intersection and point of contact between the South Dakota Small Business Development Center, South Dakota Governor’s Office for Economic Development, South Dakota Biotech, the Enterprise Institute and the Graduate Education & Applied Research Center.
For more information regarding the Tech to Launch program, please email T2L@usd.edu.
Supporting Rural Tech-Based Entrepreneurs
- Planning: Company formation and incorporation; business model creation and budgeting
- Operations: Start-to-finish accounting, payroll, and legal services
- Strategy: Intellectual property guidance; SBIR/STTR support; Strategic R&D consultants, Market research
- Networking to Build a Robust Startup Community: Introduce entrepreneurs to customers, suppliers, advisors, and other key stakeholders.
- Consulting and Mentorship: Pair tech entrepreneurs with an experienced mentor to provide coaching, guidance and connections.
More About the Program
To be eligible for the Tech2Launch program, you must:
- Have STEM research to commercialize
- Have advanced training, experience or education in a relevant STEM field
- Reside in South Dakota
- Completion of a pathway to either apply for non-dilutive funding or pitch for dilutive funding
- Form legal entity in South Dakota
- Establish accounting and financial processes
- Create a commercialization roadmap
What are the goals of the program?
-Connecting entrepreneurs to available local resources so that they can launch their business with a plan to scale and secure financing from private and non-dilutive funding.
-Supporting entrepreneurs by relieving administrative burden so that inventors can focus on innovation.
-Providing access to research facilities and office space at USD GEAR Center.
What is the time commitment of the program?
We estimate that the program requires a minimum of 3 hours per week for 12 months.
What is the program timeline?
May 2, 2022 – Application opens online
What does it cost?
There are no application/registration fees.
How long do we anticipate clients will be involved in the program?
Can my team participate?
Yes! If you have a team, please designate a point of contact. The rest of your team will have access to the online training content and can help you complete the coursework.
Do I get funding as part of this program?
Although cohorts do not receive funding as part of this program, the program contributes time, resources, and connections to further the cohorts’ endeavors.
When and where is the program held?
The content is delivered virtually over Zoom. The program will utilize Slack for all communication and resource sharing.
What is the program like?
Clients will create a commercialization roadmap with detailed plans that include business formation, financial planning, and business strategy.
Why should I choose this program?
Unlike other start up resources offered to entrepreneurs in South Dakota, this program is created for technology entrepreneurs, exclusively. Therefore, the content and training is specific to technology commercialization and the business elements and strategy required to take technology to market.
Departments & Facilities
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs supports and expands competitive research and creative scholarship at USD. The office oversees USD's research function, assisting faculty and researchers, generating student opportunities, and establishing and administering policies governing the conduct of research and overseeing the management of research programs.