Please fill out a Young Artist Recital Application using the form below.
- The competition is open to winds/percussion, strings, and vocalists in the 11th and 12th grades during the 2023 - 2024 school year.
- Students must complete an online application and submit a high-quality video recording containing one to two selections. The video must be created within the last six months (June 1 - December 1, 2023), but may contain a different repertoire choice than your intended piece(s) for the Young Artist Competition Recital in February if selected to perform. The application and video recording(s) are due Friday, December 1, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. CT.
- Acceptable music selection(s) for the video submission can be any standard solo repertoire, such as music performed at Solo/Ensemble Contests. If the music requires accompaniment, the video recording must be accompanied. Music selection(s) must not exceed 8 minutes.A
- Strings: Any standard solo repertoire. Memorization is not required but is encouraged.
- Winds/Percussion: Any standard solo repertoire. Memorization is not required but is encouraged.
- Voice: One or two memorized selections. Appropriate repertoire includes art songs, folk songs, and musical theater selections. Contrasting selections are encouraged if submitting two selections for the video recording, with one preferably in a foreign language.
- If selected as a finalist, the student may choose to perform other piece(s) of a similar level for the Saturday, February 24, 2024 recital. Additionally, if selected as a finalist, the student may elect to bring their own accompanist, or preferably use one of the provided USD accompanists, which is strongly encouraged.
- Students who submit a recording commit to perform on the USD Young Artist Competition Recital held at the University of South Dakota on Saturday, February 24, 2024, at 4 p.m. if selected. Students are not eligible to collect their prize unless they perform at the recital in February. The recital is open to the public and free of charge.
- Finalists selected to perform on the February USD Young Artist Recital will be announced on Monday, December 18, 2023.
- Students may audition for more than one performance division, but are only eligible to be selected as a prize winner in one category and will not be able to earn a prize in that category in consecutive years.
- The decision of the USD Young Artist Recital Selection Committee is final.