Welcome to the Department of Internal Medicine
The Department of Internal Medicine at the Sanford School of Medicine is a leader in patient care, medical education, and research. The Department is divided into 10 Major Divisions: General Internal Medicine, Hospital Medicine, Cardiology, Pulmonology-Critical Care, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Hematology-Oncology, Gastroenterology-Hepatology, Infectious Diseases, and Rheumatology. Faculty members within these divisions publish approximately 200 peer-reviewed manuscripts annually, and many are funded through extramural awards.
The Division of Cardiology offers ACGME-accredited fellowships in both Cardiovascular Disease and Interventional Cardiology. The Division of General Internal Medicine co-sponsors the training of Geriatrics Fellows through a joint program across multiple departments.
Internal Medicine faculty members on all campuses are engaged in medical education, providing either bedside teaching or didactic lectures and conferences for medical student and/or resident physicians.
Faculty & Staff
The Michael McHale Scholarship honors the medical student with the highest score on the Objective Structured Clinical Examination.
The Department of Internal Medicine residency program has the John L. Boice Scholarship, which is given to a second-year resident interested in research.
DEPARTMENTS & FACILITIES
The Parry Center for Clinical Skills & Simulation is a state-of-the-art learning environment that allows collaboration among students and safely simulates real-patient experiences.
We connect students to careers, professionals to communities and communities to better health.
Home of our innovative Yankton ambulatory program, the Yankton campus offers state of the art learning adjacent to the Avera Sacred Heart Hospital and Yankton Medical Clinic.
Located near the Black Hills, in the heart of downtown Rapid City, the campus has been providing training for medical students since 1948.
Located in the heart of South Dakota's largest city, the Sioux Falls campus resides on the campus of Sanford Health and Sanford/USD Medical Center.