Patrons can place a hold on library materials that are currently checked out to another patron. Patrons will receive an email notice when the requested item is available to check out at the circulation desk.
Instructions for placing an online hold on library materials that are currently checked out:
- Go to the library catalog.
- Locate the item you want by searching the Library Catalog.
- Bring up the Full Record by clicking on the title.
- Check the Availability.
- If the item is checked out select Request. Request option will only appear after you have signed in using your USD login.
- After selecting Request, fill out the form and select the green Request button.
- Your request will show up under your account information. You can cancel the request at any time.
- If an item is recalled, a notice is emailed informing the patron, to whom the item is checked out, that it has been recalled and advising of the date by which the item must be returned (this date might be sooner than the original due date).
- Materials needed by the library for course reserves may be recalled immediately, at any time.
Items on loan which have been recalled and are not returned on time are subject to overdue fines of $2.50 per day to a maximum of $30.
All materials borrowed from the library need to be returned to the Circulation Department. An outside book drop is located near the west entrance of the library and is available 24 hours a day. Another book drop is located inside to the west of the circulation desk.
Some items may be renewed, provided they have not been requested by another patron (see the library loan periods above). Outstanding library fines must be settled before any items can be renewed. Renewals may be done online, by telephone or at the circulation desk on or before the due date. If you have questions about online renewals, please contact the circulation desk at 605-677-5373 or email@example.com.
Instructions for renewing materials online:
Go to My Library Account in the Library's One Search
- Login with your USD account
- Select "Loans" from the menu
- Select the "Renew" button
The Library assesses a late fee to patrons when materials are late. Additional fines are levied for damaged or lost materials. It is the borrower's responsibility to return materials to the library on or before the due date.
Fine Rates are as follows:
- Videos & DVDs and CDs
- $0.50 a day per item to a maximum fine of $5 per item.
- Current & Bound Journals and Reference Materials
- $0.25 a day per item to a maximum fine of $5 per item.
- Room Keys
- $1 per hour to a maximum of $5 per item.
- Reserve Materials
- $0.25 per hour to a maximum of $5 per item.
- Whiteboard Markers & Erasers, Ethernet Cables, Headphones and Calculators
- $0.25 per hou to a maximum of $5 per item.
- Recalled Items Not Returned by the due date specified on the recall notice
- $2.50 per day per item to maximum of $30 per item
- All other materials (books, dissertations, scores, maps, government documents)
- $0.25 a day per item until a maximum fine of $5 per item.
Lost or Damaged Material
Patrons are responsible for the cost to repair or replace materials lost or damaged while checked out to their library account. Please report any damaged or lost library materials to the Circulation Department.
- All lost material will be billed at actual cost per item plus a processing and an overdue fee, if applicable. In some situations and with permission, the patron may replace lost material with another acceptable copy of the lost item. In this case, the patron is still responsible for any applicable overdue and processing fees. This policy applies to all borrowers, including faculty.